Cant Decide: Tansho or the BWP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant Decide: Tansho or the BWP?

I'm looking to buy my first pair of Revel8's, but I cant decide which ones would be best.

I current ride on 90cm Line Pro (crappy 8-hole mounts) and I think they are a great size. I feel I have great maneuverability and control, and I still can go plenty fast. I can hit anything on the mountain with these (took them to the Canyons' 9990 in Utah!) but I live and ski in the Northeast. Glades and trees are my favorite types of trails. The only time I ever hit the park is to do small jumps and maybe a box or two, nothing crazy. I would rather sacrifice speed for maneuverability.

I've been eyeing the Tanshos, but the BWP's might help me float a bit better and give be better control and stopping power. But I don't know if that extra 8cm will be an issue with the trees. I'm 27, 180lb, and 5'10".

Anyone have both these models and can take some pictures of them side by side?

Also, would the Snowjam Extreme II Bindings be ok for me?

thanks guys!
    Last edited by Chewiem16; 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM. Reason: Updated title to more accurately describe thread

Originally posted by Chewiem16 View Post
    I'm 27, 180lb, and 5'10".

You may want to consider the KTP and Receptor bindings. The KTP is relatively short (only 4 inches longer than your Lines) but would give you much more float for your weight.

As for bindings, I always recommend going for the best you can afford since the binding is a key piece of your equipment that lasts forever and can be used on other skiboards.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I had a pair of Tanshos, but I sold them a couple seasons ago. Tanshos are a blast, but they are somewhat limiting. The BWPs are like the Tansho's big brother. They feel pretty much the same but with added float and stability. The extra length really isn't very noticeable when it comes to maneuverability. I'm pretty much the same size as you. The BWPs work great for me. I'd think the same would hold true for you.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

oh u gotta get BWPs, there perfect. I think the Tanshos are the only ones i wouldnt get, too small in my opinion. BWPs or KTPs

Comment

Welcome here Chewiem16!

reading over what you posted,m knowing the boards and considering your size et all, I'm gonna strongly say either of these boards for you in order of preference too!:

Revolt
          KTP
          BWP
          ALP/DLP

yes I have side by side pics I'll find them and post, though they have been posted before.
          C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Boards

C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I really wanted to stay sub-100 on these new ones. I might end up going with the BWP's. What am I going to gain by going from my current boards to these?

(still trying to convince the wife I need another pair!)

Comment

Originally posted by pinkkid View Post
                Welcome here Chewiem16!

reading over what you posted,m knowing the boards and considering your size et all, I'm gonna strongly say either of these boards for you in order of preference too!:

Revolt
                KTP
                BWP
                ALP/DLP

yes I have side by side pics I'll find them and post, though they have been posted before.
                What?...BWPs 3rd on your list...I thought they were your favorites?

He asked for a recommendation between Tanshos and BWPs. If it were between BWPs and ALPs, I'd choose ALPs. They are still maneuverable yet more stable, but some of the fun factor is lost.
                Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Chewiem16 View Post
                  I might end up going with the BWP's. What am I going to gain by going from my current boards to these?
                  You'll gain stability, float, flex, and the respect of fellow skiboarders. :-)
                  Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                    What?...BWPs 3rd on your list...I thought they were your favorites?

He asked for a recommendation between Tanshos and BWPs. If it were between BWPs and ALPs, I'd choose ALPs. They are still maneuverable yet more stable, but some of the fun factor is lost.
                    Sempai, yes BWP's are STILL...MY favs!
                    For him I felt the Revolts. But since he wants to stay sub 100 and I totally understand that... go with BWP's and YES you will feel a difference!!!! Smoother ride, quicker , stable'r and plow thu some crud better! Just like technology is always changing, so is how boards are made and materials use etc... Revel 8 has figured it out!
                    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone! Looks like the BWPs are for me! Now to unload an old pair of planks on eBay and talk to the wife!

Comment

you'll love BWPs.

don't get extreme II bindings... well at least they didn't work well for me.
                        get receptors or bomber II.
                        they never failed me.
                        2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

What happened with your bindings?

Comment

I wonder what JPARK had trouble with as well. I can tell you for most riders extreme2 are just fine. The biggest difference in my opinion is that when you are buckling into the extreme2 vs the higher end bindings the bail wires flex and deform a bit more making it feel junkier. I found myself tightening the bindings more because of this sensation then on bombers or ffpros that i have.

When actually going down the slope i did not notice any real difference between the different bindings, though i know others do notice a difference.

If you have the money then upgrade to receptors you will not be sorry, they will last forever. If you are tight on cash then the snowjams should be fine, and mine are now mounted to my loaner boards.
                            www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
                            DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
                            Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
                            GGO soft boot bindings
                            Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

my binding (extreme binding) popped my skiboard out when I was carving. and I almost lost my board (at that time I didn't have the leashes)
                              i tried to tighten it but it got losen every time I was riding.
                              I got sick of tightening before every run. and feeling uncomfortable and worrying about it might happen again whenever i was riding.

there was difference in performance wise as well.

so I changed it to Bomber Elite II.
                              as soon as I got on it, I felt the difference. I didn't know bindings will give you that much of difference.
                              It felt like it was holding my boots and skiboards together very firmly and stable. I felt difference in carving as well. I was able to carve a lot more aggressively with bomber II.
                              over all, I could ride my skiboards more aggressively and got more controls. (I never thought changing bindigns will give this much difference in performance)

I felt the same with receptor. and maybe zero pro.
                              My fav are right now

bomber II > Receptor 2010 > zero pro

I wanna try receptor 2011. It might be better than bomber II, since it has many improvements from 2010 model.
                              bomber II is the easiest to put on (out of 4-5 difference bindings that I tried) but still most firm and stable.
                              I will never give up my bomber II bindings away. I heard bad things about Bomber I but II is def. worth it.

but yeah.. if your bindings are holding you well and your riding style, there's no reason to change it
                              It's just probability. I never heard anything bad (popping out, losening, etc.) about bomber II, receptor or zero pro.

I just put that thread on there to give you my personal expereicne with bindigns.
                              FInal decision is upto you.

Good luck!
                              2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

Working...
                              X