Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which philips head screwdriver for releasable bindings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which philips head screwdriver for releasable bindings?

Which size philips screwdriver do I use for remounting Spruce releasable bindings?

I want to buy a dedicated screwdriver (not one with interchangeable heads), but I'm not sure which size to get. #1? #2? #3?

Thanks!

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

You'll want a #3
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

Thanks SkaFreak!

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
      Bindings
      Other
         Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

It's best to use a #3 Pozidrive screwdriver on binding mounting screws. A #3 Phillips will work but will strip the head more easily than the Pozidrive. They are commonly available on Internet sites.

Comment

http://www.tognar.com/binding_tools_...ml#screwdriver

...Jeff's point is true, but do remember that while it's okay (but not ideal) to use a #3 phillips driver on a #3 pozidrive screw, it's not okay to use a #3 pozidrive driver on a #3 phillips head screw.

It could be worse, they could bring back reed & prince drive...anyone remember those?

Comment

You also can find a #3 pozidrive bit included with Dakine ratcheting snow tools, commonly found in outdoor specialty stores, ski shops, etc. Shouldn't cost more than $10 USD, and the socket adapter fits standard bits. All in all a solid, useful tool.

This is the item I'm referring to: http://www.dakine.com/snowboard/acce...torque-driver/

Comment

Thanks for the help, everyone! I'll run over to the hardware store tonight and see what I can find there.

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
              Bindings
              Other
                 Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

After going to 5 different hardware stores (including a home depot and sears) I finally found a Pozidriv #3 screw bit. I got home and the fit into the screw head was a little loose. After trying every screw bit I had in the house, a #3 philips was a much snugger fit. One thing though, I tried about 6 or 8 different #3 philips bots, only one of them fit perfectly. I am assuming that every manufacturer of screw drivers makes a slightly different philips bit shape. I am also assuming this would apply to the pozidriv bits as well. I would very highly recommend taking one of the screws into a good hardware store and actually conduct a fitting.

It would be great if we could purchase a dedicated screwdriver and an extra set of screws along with the bindings, but we can't. As such, my experience proved that not all screwdrivers are made equal.

Good Luck.
                If you are going to do something wrong. Do it Right.

Comment

Phillips vs. Pozidrive

Just to be clear about the screwdriver issue....

The screws that mount the Spruce risers on boards are Phillips #3 flat head screws. If you ever need to replace one, they are a standard metric machine screw: M6-1 30mm long Flat Head Phillips. These are commonly available at Home Depot, etc. A Pozidrive screwdriver won't work with those screws.

The screws that attach ski bindings to the Spruce riser (and to anything else) are Pozidrive #3 screwheads. Pozidrive screwdrivers and bits are commonly available on the Internet but not so common in your local hardware store. A #3 Phillips screwdriver with work with binding screws, but is not as secure as a Pozidrive.

The dimensions of Pozidrive and Phillips slots in a screwhead are supposed to be controlled by standards, so all screwdrivers should work equally well. I've never had a problem with this.

Comment

Snap-on screwdrivers, especially Snap-on phillips screwdrivers, are legendary with pro wrenchturners for lasting forever and not camming out or boogering screwheads. After hearing about this for years I tried a few (a few---they're higher than giraffe balls) and found this to be true. Apparently their materials and tolerances are really that good.

Comment

Snap-On is well known to be a great tool maker, (Probably the most used mechanics tool supplier in Canada). Never had problems with stripping on any nuts/bolts/screws when I used them (with the exception of those that were so far rusted that you breathe at them and they strip). If you can afford to buy from them, you can't go wrong.
                      2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Jeff, thanks for the information about the screws. If one of them ever strips, it's good to know I can get them replaced easily! Are the binding-to-Riser pozidriv screws a common part too?

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                        Bindings
                        Other
                           Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

NOW I capish.
                          If you are going to do something wrong. Do it Right.

Comment

I don't know if anyone will ever need this information but if you one of the screws that connect the riser to the board itself look for a 1 inch by 25 mm machine screw

Comment

Spruce Riser Screws

Just so we're clear on the screws that attach the Spruce risers to skiboards.... The screws are a common metric machine screw. The diameter is 6 millimeters, the thread pitch is one thread per millimeter and the length is 30 millimeters. The head is flathead with Phillips drive. These screws are available at pretty much any hardware store and are designated as "M6-1 30mm Flathead Phillips"

Comment

Working...
                              X