Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuous binding remounting on Risers a bad thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous binding remounting on Risers a bad thing?

I am wondering if it is not recommended practice to be continuously changing the mounting position of the toe and heel pieces on a Spruce Riser.

My Risers shipped last year from the factory with the toe/heel binding parts mounted in the front/back holes. I then had to readjust them to the middle/middle position to fit my boots. Then yesterday my wife wanted to stand in them, so I remounted to the back/front position, and when she was done I put them back to the middle/middle position. During that last repositioning, the screws turned in a lot easier than previous times. They aren't stripped and are not spinning continuously, but it makes me wonder if what I've been doing is bad and/or dangerous.

I could see in the future (if my wife enjoys the Risers) her getting her own pair, and then we'd swap the Risers/bindings off the boards themselves if we wanted to trade boards.

Any opinions?

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

You should be OK as long as you do/did not over tighten or mis-align the screws which would cause the threads to strip in the riser.

I have repositioned bindings multiple times on my risers to let others use my skiboards without any problems.

(But more times you do it, greater the likelihood of making an error and causing damage.)
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by bri_guy View Post
      During that last repositioning, the screws turned in a lot easier than previous times.
      The screws that hold the bindings on the aluminum risers are self-tappers, so the second time (and subsequent times) you use them they should, properly, go on easier because the threads were cut the first time.

Slow's advice is spot on, like him I've changed binding positions around a bunch with no problems. Leave that impact wrench alone, as long as you tighten the screws true with a conventional screwdriver and back off when you feel them snug you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Thanks guys! I feel a whole lot better now

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
           Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
           Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
           Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
        Bindings
           Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
           Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
        Other
           Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
           Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

If the worst should happen and you strip a thread, your fall back position is to use a nut and bolt, so you are covered all ways
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

This is actually a concern for me. I have three sets of boards, and thankfully two sets of bindings now, however when I switch between ALPs and Woodies, I want to use the best binding. Will continuous releasing and tightening ruin the mount?

Also, anyone have anything against using Torx/Lobe screws rather than the hex ones we use now? I feel I'd have less of a chance of stripping them if that were the case.

Comment

Working...
            X