Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big dude needs help.

Hello Out there,
    I need a little help. I have been riding Line MNP's for the past 8 years and I absolutely love them. Now however, I want to kick it up a notch. As much as I love the MNP's I feel I could use something a little more on the steep stuff and a bit better float in the powder..

Choosing a set of boards for most folks is easy, I however am not like most folks. I am in my 40's, 6'1" tall and weigh close to 300lbs. I ski mostly in New England at a solid intermediate level and sometimes fool around on the advanced stuff.

My dream boards are fast, do it all, all mountain, and are not to physically demanding to ride but could still take me deep into the diamonds when needed. I figure I need a board with a larger surface area, the Sherpa or the 120 are my primary choices so far. I recently spontaneously purchased a pair of ALP's on Ebay with a composite riser and C509 bindings (have not had a chance to use them yet).

My questions are;
    1) Is the composite riser and/or the c509 bindings appropriate for my size and weight or should I change out the bindings?
    2) Are the ALP's appropriate and will they do what I'm looking for?
    3) Should I purchase the Sherpas or the 120 or maybe even the Candors and give the ALP's to my wife?
    3) Any other suggestions or comments?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    If you are going to do something wrong. Do it Right.

I don't recall the DIN range of the composite risers, which would be the main limiting factor on weight, but other than that, the ALPs may do everything you want them to. That being said, I think that the 120's and Sherpas would be great choices for what you want to do. The 120's would be a little more forgiving, but I think the Sherpas might help you progress by making you drive the boards a little more aggressively. I would say that once you find out if the bindings will work for you, give the ALPs a try. If they don't perform how you want, come back here and tell us what you like and what you don't like and we can give your further reccommendations.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

I rode KTPs last year at about 265lbs, and had no issues with them. That being said, I was using non-release bindings. According to the chart in slow's thread I might have been pushing this, though at my local hills there wasn't much powder. I managed when I was in colorado for a weekend, though most of the riding I did there didn't involve powder either. One thing for me is that once I upgraded to better equipment (from snowblades), I enjoyed my riding so much more that it actually drove me to do more exercise and loose weight in the offseason so I'll be able to skiboard better this season.

In terms of surface area, the condors or sherpa seems to be your best bet. I haven't tried either, but if you're worried about the width of the condors, I doubt that it will be a big issue for you at your size.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
        I don't recall the DIN range of the composite risers, which would be the main limiting factor on weight, ................
        Hi Galex,

A few things to consider. I pulled out my C509s and they are a 9 DIN. So as SkaFreak noted, they are probably too low for you, so pass the risers/bindings onto your wife. As per the chart that dis provided a link for, the Condors or Sherpas would suit you best and I suspect you would enjoy the Condors.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Thank you very much for all your help. It is greatly appreciated .

Comment

One thing to consider.. MNPs are one of the stiffest skiboards out there, so the most comparable would be the KTPs as they are the stiffest in the R8 lineup, and would most likely be the most similar experience.
            Edward in NYC

Comment

I've been riding MNP's for some time and I never thought of them as stiff. It's the only board I've ridden so maybe I do not know what stiff is sopposed to feel like.
              That being said, what is the difference in feel and ride quality between stiff and soft boards?

Comment

I went from MNPs to ALPs and love the change. I rode the MNPs for 10 or 11 years so was very used to them. The main thing that felt "weird" was the increased width - I had to be a bit more edge concious until I got the feel down.

I'm in my 30s, 6'5", slightly over 200 lbs and the ALPs work well for me. Good luck!
                Me: 2010 ALPdors, 1999 Line MN Pros, Line FF Aluminums
                Wife: 2009 BWPs, 1999 Line Jedis, Line FF Composites

Comment

Just incase anyone is interested, I sent an email to Jeff Singer at Spruce, and he said that the composite risers will work fine as long as I don't do jumps or ride in moguls. The plastic risers were not designed for those conditions.

The DIN setting is a function of the boot's sole length as well as rider's height, weight, ability and age ( www.skiboardsonline.com/html/spruce.htm )

Once the sole length is known, you can use the DIN calculator here: http://www.dinsetting.com/ to get your DIN settings. (Use the Salomon settings.)

Thank You to Jeff for his fast and helpful reply.

Comment

what height, weight is your wife and what do you guys usually ski together?
                    Condor, Spruce, Alp, Sherpa.... be sure to check out the reviews on these to help ya out as well.
                    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

She is average height and weight and she ski's Line Bullets. My kid is on the line five-0's.

Comment

when you are ready, R8 & Spruce boards will be a very nice upgrade to your whole family! You will notice a satisfying difference!
                        C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Working...
                        X