Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Backcountry Skiboard Product Testers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Backcountry Skiboard Product Testers!

** NOTE **
    THE BTK IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE

For other back country skiboard touring options please refer to:
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...t=back+country

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...t+boot+touring

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13045

This thread is being kept as an archive only:

Hello All , a team of SBOL forum members has been working feverishly behind the scenes over the summer getting a prototype touring binding kit together. There will only be a limited number of backcountry touring binding kits available for testing and we will be asking for a very nominal donation to cover our costs for producing the kits in return for giving us feedback about the binding . Compatible bindings that can be used with our touring binding kit will include the 2010 Revel8 Receptor binding , or the new 2011 Revel8 Receptor binding with the lift kit. Besides our kit , the user will need to purchase additional backcountry components and equipment including telemark cables, climbing skins, optional ski crampons , adjustable poles and avalanche safety equipment. Also folks using our kit will need to have access to experienced backcountry skiers or riders who will be their partners for backcountry travelling. . We are looking for folks who would be interested in product testing this exciting new touring kit . More information will be forthcoming soon.

(edited 11/4/2010: Backcountry Touring Kits are now available
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ad.php?t=10461 )

In order to give folks an idea of the product and what is involved in using the product and the purpose of the touring kit I have collected a number of videos and web links that give you an idea of what backcountry skiboard touring involves and how our touring binding kit works . If you are interested in becoming a product tester for this kit , please review these videos and information as well as the detailed information about the new backcountry touring kit which we will be posting soon. The final product will be somewhat different then the product in these videos but will have similar functionality.

Overview of the binding :
    one note when watching this video.
    We have improved the original design and the telemark cables are left on the touring bale all the time and you do not need to apply the cables in the field . For descent the telemark cables are just tied to the back of the boot with the leash .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJhptwRYW0k

Walking on the flats with the binding :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FUxUtPDBK4

Transitions , climbing and descending
    The binding is set up so that on climbing the special touring toggle bale is used as the toe piece and the position of the skiboarder is 4cm ahead of center which allows for easy climbing up hill ,. On descent skins and crampons are removed and the boot is turned around in the binding so that the heel of the boot is placed in the special toggle touring bale and the toe of the boot is clamped in by the lever as in a regular non releasable skiboard binding. The rider is rear mounted at 4cm back for descent . The front lever does double duty as a climbing lift for the heel on ascent . Thanks to Dave Cox for demoing the system late last season. ps. backcountry snow can be grabby and nasty , be prepared to have a few face plants on the descent ! Thanks for that demo as well Dave !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCg3wHlpjdQ

Here is some important information concerning climbing (as applied to Snowboard splitboards ) but which apply to wide bodied skiboards as well
    except for the part about putting the snowboard back together !

Read carefully the section on traversing . Wide bodied skiboards like splitboards are difficult to use traversing in firm snow without ski crampons. We have designed the Backcountry skiboard binding kit to be able to easily attach ski crampons for use in these situations. I would strongly encourage the purchase of the ski crampons if you are going to do any climbing in firm snow conditions.

http://splitboard.com/site/The_Approach.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mayZW1sz2cU
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Might be interested, but need to find out if I'll have anyone experienced to tour with this season.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

Also a limited number of the kits ( or original prototype variations ) will be available for folks who want to try out backcountry skiboarding at Shredfest3 .
      There will be guided tours by myself and my backcountry partners on Sunday and Monday of Shredfest 3 . If you want to try out the kit on your own skiboards I have skins for KTP , and Revolt/ALp , as well as Condors.
      No backcountry experience is necessary for the Shredfest 3 guided trips.
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Are you doing this in hopes to sell these kits in the future?
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
          Are you doing this in hopes to sell these kits in the future?
          no ... none of us who are involved in this project are interested in making any money off the project .. the main impetus is to come up with a low cost easily manufactured product that we can offer to fellow skiboarders as a means to use their bindings in the backcountry . we are just interested in recouping our costs in producing the kit ... since the kit is still in the development stage we are , this season just looking for input from riders... think of this as an open source project of SBOL forum members for and by riders ...
          it will not be a commercial product but something produced by the community for ourselves.
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

What is wrong with using regular release or non-release. I am new to backcountry riding this year and would love to get all of the info you could give me.
            I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
              What is wrong with using regular release or non-release. I am new to backcountry riding this year and would love to get all of the info you could give me.
              great question fourdown .. the touring binding is purely a way to modify your binding in order to climb up the hill on the same binding that you use for going down ( using climbing skins on the bottom of the skiboards ) , the touring binding allows you to climb up hill with a free heel .

the other ways of getting up the hill are
              chair lifts , snowmobiles, snowcats and helicopters !
              just hiking up the hill in your ski boots and carrying your boards on your pack
              ( this is ok if some one else has broken a "boot pack " trail up hill ")
              or using snowshoes (carrying your boards on your pack and then switching to carrying the snowshoes on your pack for going down )

using the touring binding with skins and a free heel to climb on your own skiboards is probably the most efficient way of climbing up soft snow , (no extra equipment on your pack up and down )

of course for going down in the backcountry you don't need any extra equipment other then your skiboards and your regular release or non release bindings. , the problem is how to climb to the goods.

at many ski areas in the west , there is hike to backcountry where you just boot hike a broken trail from the top of a lift and then drop the powder and connect back to the lift and that is how most people get their taste of backcountry riding , but once you venture farther afield you will need a way to climb to the untracked goods efficiently ..

by the way if you ever have tried to climb any distance with your skiboards attached to your boots in the regular way without skins .. ( such as side hilling up hill or duck walking up hill in soft snow ), you will now how inefficient it is and how quickly you get tired out . the addition of a way to free your heel , and the front of your boot to pivot and then applying adhesive climbing skins to the base that provide traction for going up hill makes ALL the difference. in climbing up hill

the touring kit allows you to climb efficiently and then use your high performance standard non release skiboard binding for going downhill , best of both worlds.
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

JJUe:

Pics not coming up on my computer, are these releasable at all?

Will you be providing them with skins?

I would love top be able to use my icelantics as big old snow shoes.... otherwise might need to invest in some alps and new skis...
                Groove "taxi" 88cm
                Canon "M7" 99cm
                Spruce "120" 120cm
                Hagan "Off Limits" 133cm
                Icelantic "Scout" 143cm
                Icelantic "Shaman" 161cm
                Armada "JP v Julien" 175cm

And over the years, so many others...

All current boards integrated and ridden with BLACK MONDAY Binding System.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                  JJUe:

Pics not coming up on my computer, are these releasable at all?

Will you be providing them with skins?

I would love top be able to use my icelantics as big old snow shoes.... otherwise might need to invest in some alps and new skis...
                  Hi Docta, the pics are actually you tube videos , if your browser does not allow embedded you tube videos , i have included the url for the you tube videos.

the touring kit is just a kit to modify non releasable skiboard bindings for uphill climbing and is NOT releasable . it is intended to be used with Revel8 Receptor bindings and to be used on skiboards with standard 4 hole inserts. It is not designed for use with Longboard skiboards such as the Spruce boards or skis .

skins and touring cables will need to be purchased separately by the rider

for top mounted skis like the Icelantic Scouts , you do not need this kind of a kit . there are a whole variety of releasable touring bindings that can be drilled and top mounted on skis such as the Fritschi bindings . I have my Scout mounted with a direct mounted Fritschi explore release binding and it works great.

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/fri...nding_faq.html
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

Jack, what's a highball estimate of the cost of all the required equipment you named in your first post?

Also, you use your Fail Tilts to climb ... what about boots that aren't 3-piece, such as the Salomon SPK?

I might be interested ... there are many backcountry skiers in the area that I could probably join up with, though I know none of them yet. YET!

Comment

Originally posted by koneco View Post
                      Jack, what's a highball estimate of the cost of all the required equipment you named in your first post?

Also, you use your Fail Tilts to climb ... what about boots that aren't 3-piece, such as the Salomon SPK?

I might be interested ... there are many backcountry skiers in the area that I could probably join up with, though I know none of them yet. YET!
                      any normal din standard alpine ski boot will work including SPK , also snowboard hardshell boots like the DEELUXE series will work

the current kit is not designed for alpine touring boots or telemark boots (which have wider toes )

Here are the essentials :
                      1/ touring kit including shipping to you around 50 dollars
                      2/ skins 109 dollars not including shipping
                      3/ telemark cables 61 dollars not including shipping

besides that you will need Revel8 receptor binding 2010 , or Revel8 Receptor binding 2011 and additional lift kit.
                      and a pack and collapsible poles ,

highly recommended :
                      avalanche safety gear depending on terrain , shovel , avalanche beacon , and probe , ( shovel 50 dollars, probe 30 dollars, beacons are the most expensive item and can be around 300 dollars or higher)
                      crampons 76 dollars
                      Boards :
                      Boots
                      Bindings:

Comment

A word on crampons

Our backcountry touring kit will also allow the application of ski crampons in the field as needed. These crampons are metal plates with teeth that increase traction on slippery climbs and especially traversing in firm snow . These are especially important in the spring time and less important in powder winter conditions . But even in the middle of winter you can get wind blown sections climbing big mountains which are icy and slippery and crampons are a godsend.

Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Links for additional equipment /Backcountry information

In the coming two weeks I will be posting on this thread periodically with some additional information about backcountry gear and information about backcountry safety and travel for those who may be interested in testing the backcountry touring kit , or just interested in backcountry skiboarding in general .

Here are some links to some of the additional accessories that are used with the backcountry touring kit itself :

Super fat crampons 135mm are suitable for the Condor and can be sourced here - ( there are narrower crampons available if you will be using a narrower skiboard -you should choose the width to be slightly larger then the width of your skiboard .. they run a few mm wider then the reported width , so the 135mm crampon fits the 137 mm waist of the Condor )

http://www.bndskigear.com/fatcrampons.html
                          you should request two holes punched 4cm apart in the middle of the crampon to fit M6 screws . ( B and D ski gear will do this for an additional nominal cost )

Telemark cables can be obtained through Voile , you will need to have two of these cables .. you should use the voile recoomendations in terms of boot size to select the correct length of cables. they are sold as a single unit for 30dollars and you will need two of them .
                          http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=8
                          fine tuning the length of the telemark cartridges is done by simply twisting the cartridges
                          more detail about use of the telemark cables can be found here
                          http://www.voile-usa.com/SXINSTRCT09_2.pdf

climbing skins can be obtained through Climbing skins direct. These are the least expensive skins I have found and also have the proper tail and tip attachment parts for wide bodied ski boards. You should select the width of skin to be just slightly less the width of your skiboard- for the Condor I select the 130mm skin )
                          You want the tip and tail skins with the wide tip ring on this page , once you get the skins , they will need to be cut to fit the length of your skiboard .

https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/Skins.html

instructions on trimming skins are here
                          https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/trimDirect.html

Much more information to follow in the next couple of weeks . I plan to discuss use of climbing skins, climbing technique , how to find backcountry partners , backcountry etiquette, avalanche safety and equipment , pack selection , pole selection , clothing , food , hydration etc, etc. If you have questions , ask away and I will do my best to answer.
                          Boards :
                          Boots
                          Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                            Also folks using our kit will need to have access to experienced backcountry skiers or riders who will be their partners for backcountry travelling.
                            Jack,

It might be worth mentioning that not every backcountry trip need be to the remote part of avalanche country, or involve superhuman endurance ;-)

When we get our occasional heavy snows here locally in Missouri, folks around here aren't used to that and we typically hole up for awhile until the roads get cleared. I enjoy spending those occasions "do-it-yourself-skiing", hiking up a hill here on the farm, and skiboarding back down. I've been hiking up just using my stiff ski boots until now but look forward to trying out some of our gadgets this winter when the opportunity presents itself. Anything that makes the climb more pleasant will be a major plus.

I'm sure riders in other parts of the country could come up with other creative ways to enjoy and ease into this aspect of the sport.

Comment

For those going for the backcountry days at Shredfest, are beacons required? Can they be rented?

Are the "fishscale" skins available in sizes to work with skiboards, or is that design not really worth it?
                              RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X