Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Backcountry Skiboard Product Testers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about adding a Black Diamond Avalung to the list?
    Edward in NYC

Comment

Originally posted by BrklynCarver View Post
      How about adding a Black Diamond Avalung to the list?
      I purposely left the Avalung out of the discussion , but now that you mention it Ed , I will discuss it ... LOL ! I would say that on a powder day in the Sierra backcountry the number of skiers and riders using avalungs are still a very small minority whereas most everyone is carrying shovels probes and beacons.
      What is an avalung ?

"Avalung is a simple breathing device to supply fresh air during an avalanche burial. It’s simply a tube with a one-way “non-rebreathing” valve that allows you to exhale into one area of the snowpack, and receive fresh air from another area. The tube is either carried as a stand-along device in a nylon sling, or it’s built into a backpack. "

In my group of very experienced backcountry riders all of whom have taken avalanche courses and are trained in avalanche rescue . One out of 5 wears the avalung . I do not carry one. They are not required on guided backcountry hut trips in Canada whereas all of us are required to wear beacons . There is no question that the Avalung may buy you some time in the event you are buried , the problem is that wearing one can sometimes cause a false sense of security and may make you take more risks then you should . It is also one more piece of equipment to carry , one more expense , that may or may not be helpful . I feel that the most important thing in avalanche safety is to understand how avalanches happen and to avoid getting into situations where they are likely to happen , the second most important thing is to have shovel , beacon and probe and partners skilled in using them , then and only then does it make sense to add the avalung as an extra layer of protection . For example there are many folks who ride in the backcountry with an avalung but never take the time to do a snow pit analysis to test the safety of the slope . Here is the most reasoned analysis of the avalung that I have read .
      http://www.wildsnow.com/1745/five-da...day-1-avalung/

Lou Dawson
      "Many of you’ve read my blogging about the limits of the Avalang. I question its efficacy in a large violent slide, and I even question the reliability of ALWAYS getting the mouthpiece in when a slide starts. Controversy rises because any safety device may support the user taking more risk, thus canceling out any benefit or even causing tragedy. Some scoff at this notion, others swear it exists and we should be on guard about it. I take the latter view. Comments?

Controversy aside, I carry an Avalung by choice. If nothing else, it could easily save my life in the type of smaller slides that frequently bury skiers with little or no physical injury, yet cause death because the victim isn’t dug out fast enough. At best, it’ll work no matter what. It’s also the perfect safety device for a tree well entrapment. "

The comments on Lou Dawson's blog about the Avalung are very helpful in understanding the limits of the device .

counter point :
      Stewart

"In the momentary window of opportunity after you trigger an avalanche, you should be entirely focused on the exit strategy you’d considered beforehand. Pausing to stuff a snorkel into your mouth could be a suicidal delay, and would in my estimation do little to increase your survivability regardless (trauma kills). Sure I’d stuff an Avalung in my mouth if I was watching an unavoidable wall of snow cascading down onto me from above, but fortunately such situations are usually only the stuff of nightmares rather than the reality of back-country skiing. It seems incongruous to me that one who goes the extent of cutting straps off an already basic backpack in the spirit of simplicity (which I don’t have a problem with), would then extol the benefits of hauling around a superfluous gimmick like an Avalung."

Nick:
      "Lou – I would agree with all of your points and some that Stewart mentioned. For its price and the 1% chance that (i) you get it in your mouth, (ii) you keep it in your mouth and (iii) there is not other trama, I think it is a good investment. Basically, I am willing to pay for that 1% (arbitrary number, I know) chance that my odds are improved.

I seriously doubt the effectiveness of having it stay in your mouth in a slide. With that said, to respond to Stewart, I do not understand your perception of difficulty to initially put it in. When I get to the trailhead, I depoly my avalung mouthpeice in a way that it is literally right below my mouth. I keep it in that position the ENTIRE day. Regardless if I am in the parking lot, or on in steep terrain. Overkill? Probably. But, if I bought the thing, I feel it would be stupid to have it in a lowered position should something happen.

Without digressing, my point is that I am able to literally bite down on it in this position without the use of my hands and without really much lower head movement. Therefore, I have practiced and think I can put it in my mouth in about 1/2 a second. I do not believe this will take time that I would otherwise be using to get to my predetermined safe-zone or take other survival measures.

Basically, my point is that I am comfortable that I have it in a position where I can almost instinctly bite it immediately while otherwise attempting to get out of harms way or start swiming for my life.

Will this work in actual practice? Who knows, and I will use my best effort everyday to never have to attempt to actually engage this device."
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

My bindings with BTK add ons are assembled. Now i just need to cut the skins to size and maybe give it a test run tommorrow morning. Pics and maybe videos will follow shortly.

Comment

Good to hear that you are almost ready. Post a picture when you get a chance of your setup.

Did you blue loctite the lever retaining plate screws? How about the the outer pivot bolt? You should red loctite the outer nuts. These are issues/solutions we have learned since the BTK was shipped out to you.

Let us know how it goes. So far I have only been able to flat land tour near my home. A good work out, and draws a lot of attention from those I meet up with on the trails.
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
          X