Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Backcountry Skiboard Product Testers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbing tip - Waxing Skins

One of the nastiest things to happen with your climbing skins is if they start collecting snow (glop) . Then it is like climbing with several pounds of extra weight underfoot. This is more likely to happen in the spring when your skins can get wet and then new snow can stick to the bottoms but can happen any time of the season especially in California where we often get warm winter temps after storms. Expensive skins are pre treated with a chemical water repellant chemical . The climbing skins I have recommended which are much more economical do not have the water repellant chemical but in my experience pretreated skins still glop up almost as bad as the non pretreated skins . I recommend waxing your skins with a rub on wax before every tour . We usually do this right on the trail right after we first put our skins on in the morning .
    When you buy skins from Climbing Skins Direct they supply a little piece of wax with their skins. You do not want to use flouridated paste or rub on waxes that you use on your ski base as these will interfere with proper up hill traction of your skins . The best commercial skin wax to use is called Glop Stopper and is made by Black diamond .
    It is 12.95 for a 2 oz little square piece of the stuff .

Here is a little review of the stuff .
    http://www.skinet.com/skiing/blogs/2...opper-skin-wax

I am very cheap and use this houshold paraffin wax instead
    Gulf Wax is available at 3.99 per POUND at your local hardware store
    just cut a little piece and carry it in your pack . It is also good for hot waxing or rubbing on your ski bases, may not last quite as long as regular ski wax but works well .

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Emergency Binding Repair

All current backcountry bindings have failed in one way or the other , a catastrophic binding failure can leave you stranded in the backcountry with no way to return , and can be life threatening . It behooves all backcountry riders to study their bindings and understand where possible failure may occur . Here is a story of how one fancy expensive backountry binding failed and how the group needed to cobble together a repair

http://www.wildsnow.com/258/silvrett...nding-carnage/

My buddies and I have over the years repaired or cobbled together binding solutions for all manner of bindings that have failed both mine and others.

Our backcountry touring kit design for skiboarders has a few built in design elements that lets you bring along a very simple lightweight binding repair kit.
      I will explain what needs to be done in the event of failure of our touring kit .
      First take a look at the toggle , telemark binding piece in this picture.

let us assume that toggle part has a catastrophic failure , falls apart , and can no longer accept telemark cables , or be used as a heel piece ..
      Since we are supplying this as a separate after market attachment , you will still have your regular receptor heel bales . you should bring one or both bales with you in your pack . They are very light weight . In the event of a catastrophic failure of the toggle piece you would just replace that piece with a regular bale , and turn the telemark cables around and attach them to the front bale of the touring binding. (Our final product does not replace the regular front bale of the receptor binding with toggles like in the prototype above) The touring repair would be to simply now use the front bale wires to attach the telemark cables like this
      ps . the telemark cables will need to be reduced in length by simply spinning the cartridges. .

To lock in just remove telemark cables

If somehow you lose the front lever ,let's assume the screw comes loose , and the whole thing falls off and you don't notice it while climbing . We are supplying in the kit new levers that have been specially machined to rotate around to use as a heel lever .. You will still have your current receptor binding levers. Again we recommend bringing one or both along . Again a very light weight safety replacement. While you will not be able to use the lever as a heel elevator , you will be able to use a lever without screw or retaining plate to lock your boot down for descent .

If you really want a bomber repair kit , you can also buy an extra telemark cable to bring in your pack , if one of the telemark cables should break .

The other parts of a skiboard binding , standard bales , sole plates and base plate are pretty indestructible and the whole thing is bolted to the board by inserts which obviates against screw pull out which occurs with directly drilled bindings ..

I am super happy that the skiboard touring binding has built in redundancy unlike other backcountry bindings to allow easy field repair !
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

How to get started .. Become an ambassador for backcountry skiboarding !

Last winter was the very first gathering of folks using skiboards for backcountry touring . It was a first and like any skiboard gathering a rarity. Much thanks to all the SBOL forum members that volunteered for my torture fest , I guarantee that most of the time we have more fun then the max struggle we all had through the deep snow of Shredfest 2.

Anybody who uses our touring binding kit will be a pioneer , there is absolutely no one else doing it . So how to get started ? We have recommended that you find people who are into backcountry skiing or riding but you may cause quite a stir if you show up with skiboards !
        My recommendation is to become skilled on skiboards so you can ride all conditions at the resort comfortably before venturing out in the backcountry , get to know your skiboard of choice inside and out . Then get our touring kit , get the necessary equipment and as Bill has pointed out , find some snowy roads or little hills , nothing real steep , no avalanche risk and practice using the touring binding yourself , so you are comfortable with using it for climbing and walking on the flats . Practice transitions getting in and out of the binding , practice putting on and off skins and ski crampons , using collapsible poles .. Get real familiar with the use of the touring kit and then join up with folks who are going into the backcountry . Tell them you are a skiboarder , they will say "what is that ?" you will know what to say , and then tell them you are a test rider for a prototype skiboard touring binding , similar to telemark bindings. . One way that I have been able to explain to folks what we are doing , is that it is a cross between backcountry skiing and snowshoeing , or that we have developed gliding snowshoes.
        You can find backcountry tours , through local branches of mountaineering clubs such as the "Sierra Club " here in California . or there may be backcountry touring groups in your area . You might even consider joining some snowshoe tours.

Better yet , if you are in Northern California , come join me this winter on a backcountry tour , no experience is necessary , I will even provide all the equipment necessary , including binding , skins, avalanche beacon , shovel , probe , loaner ALP or Condor , etc etc. ! pm . me would love to have you ! Most weekends all winter and into Spring and early summer, you will find my buddies and I heading out into the backcountry around Lake Tahoe ..... OR consider joining up on one of our backcountry tours during Shredfest 3!

pssst.... I hear there may be an announcement and pictures of the BTK ( backcountry touring binding ) and details on how to order it , coming very soon !!
        Boards :
        Boots
        Bindings:

Comment

I am super stoked for this weekend. I am going to hike and ride backcountry for the first time. No skins or poles. Just carrying boards on a pack and hiking in boots. My legs are going to be tiiiiired. It's only a few feet, so should I still set back my bindings? We are building a kicker and hitting some airs.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
            I am super stoked for this weekend. I am going to hike and ride backcountry for the first time. No skins or poles. Just carrying boards on a pack and hiking in boots. My legs are going to be tiiiiired. It's only a few feet, so should I still set back my bindings? We are building a kicker and hitting some airs.
            sounds great fourdown! have fun .. you should be fine center mounted ...
            take some pics if you can !
            Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

I'm bringing the GoPro for sure. By the way, you can call me Dave, haha
              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

I just watched the DVD from Shredfest 2, and i can't wait to come out and ride with you guys this year. The backcountry looks like a lot of fun. Being a fan of the Bomber bindings, I've come up with a relatively simple design for a touring modification for my Elites that I think will work well and be inexpensive for me to make. I'll be sure to post pictures and get feedback when it's done.

A quick question about skins and wax; since the skins are sticky, are certain waxes better to have on your bases, or is there really no difference?
                RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                  I just watched the DVD from Shredfest 2, and i can't wait to come out and ride with you guys this year. The backcountry looks like a lot of fun. Being a fan of the Bomber bindings, I've come up with a relatively simple design for a touring modification for my Elites that I think will work well and be inexpensive for me to make. I'll be sure to post pictures and get feedback when it's done.

A quick question about skins and wax; since the skins are sticky, are certain waxes better to have on your bases, or is there really no difference?
                  I really struggled with trying to figure something that would work with the Bombers and will be eager to see what you come up with .... basically any wax that you use to prep your bases for regular ski area downhill will be fine on your bases... the only caveat is flourinated rub on paste waxes or some of the flourinated spring time iron on waxes , these prevent proper adhesion of the skins and should not be used on the bases prior to use of skins or the skins will slip off.
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

Bomber binding touring modification

Hi Crazyboy-1, I am sure with your machinery skills you will come up with something better then I could for the Bomber.

this is the closest I came to a workable Bomber binding solution ..

The other problem is that I couldn't figure out a good way to put in crampon attachments which I like to use for firm spring time snow .
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

My idea involves custom toe blocks to allow for a smoother pivot of the foot, as well as custom shoulder bolts with attchment points for the telemark cables. These pieces should be easy to make, and I anticipate having no trouble with that part of the design. At the heel end, I'm still messing around with some ideas for a simple heel elivator that can flip up and down. For the crampons, I can easily cut them to fit the bindings. Do you think that the conditions at Shredfest 3 will warrant crampons?
                      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                        My idea involves custom toe blocks to allow for a smoother pivot of the foot, as well as custom shoulder bolts with attchment points for the telemark cables. These pieces should be easy to make, and I anticipate having no trouble with that part of the design. At the heel end, I'm still messing around with some ideas for a simple heel elivator that can flip up and down. For the crampons, I can easily cut them to fit the bindings. Do you think that the conditions at Shredfest 3 will warrant crampons?
                        I actually found that the heel bale of the Bomber binding works pretty well as a heel elevator , you just angle it forward a bit and it says up . . here is pic

we should not need crampons during shredfest.
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                          pssst.... I hear there may be an announcement and pictures of the BTK ( backcountry touring binding ) and details on how to order it , coming very soon !!
                          The announcement detailing the BTK are now posted at: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...377#post106377
                          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Backcountry pack check list

Slow has come up with a nice list of contents of a backcountry back pack which pretty much what I carry

Skiboard Touring Checklist

Clothing:
                            □ Extra layers (no cotton)
                            □ Waterproof jacket
                            □ Waterproof pants
                            □ Extra socks
                            □ Extra gloves or mitts
                            □ Hat
                            □ Toque (head sock)

Protection:
                            □ Sunscreen
                            □ Lip protector
                            □ Goggles
                            □ Sunglasses
                            □ Medication

Food & Hydration:
                            □ Lunch (wraps)
                            □ Snacks (trail mix, non-spoiling)
                            □ High energy foods
                            □ Water bottle & water (1 liter minimum)
                            □ Thermos with tea or coffee

Navigation & Communication:
                            □ Map
                            □ Compass
                            □ Cell phone
                            □ Headlamp
                            □ Extra batteries
                            □ GPS*
                            □ Two-way radios*

Emergency:
                            □ First aid kit
                            □ Emergency blanket
                            □ Rope
                            □ Waterproof matches with striker & container
                            □ Fire starter
                            □ Pocket knife
                            □ Water treatment tablets*(spring time)
                            □ Repair kit
                            □ Multi-tool
                            □ Wrenches & screwdrivers
                            □ Spare parts
                            □ Duct tape
                            □ Note pad & pencil

Safety:
                            □ Avalanche transceiver
                            □ Probe
                            □ Shovel

Misc. Gear:
                            □ Backpack (~40 liter)
                            □ Camera
                            □ Money
                            □ Identification
                            □ Tissue or toilet paper
                            □ Adjustable ski poles
                            □ Crampons for skiboards
                            □ Climbing skins
                            □ Climbing skin wax

* Optional items
                            Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

Thank you so much for that pack list. I am ordering my pack within the next two weeks and will be stocking it. I was actually supposed to do some early-season hiking to ride this weekend but people bailed. I will be getting out next weekend without a full pack. Not enough snow to get any major snow slides, but just in case I am going with a group of people.

How will do the skins work with steeper climbs?
                              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post

How will do the skins work with steeper climbs?
                                It is really pretty amazing how steep an angle you can go up with climbing skins but a lot of how steep you go is how efficient it is and often rather then go straight up , it is often more energy efficient going zig zag up the hill

Boards :
                                Boots
                                Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                                X