Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboarding flats

Hey all,
    I just moved to Alaska and am gearing up for my first hardcore winter. I've spent my life skiing in Colorado. But I think it's going to be very different here. No lifts, no grooming, just mountains and valleys of snow. I love the idea of skiboards for when I have to hike to a good skiing spot, but I also want to be able to do some crosscountry skiing when the weather on the mountains gets nasty.

I've looked everywhere trying to find out if skiboards can be easily used for going crosscountry. Can you get a Nordic ski binding for skiboards? Does anyone have any advice?

Hello and welcome to the forum !

Most definitely , skiboards can be used to cross country ski . The key is to buy some telemark cables and skins . If you are just going to be on flat ground you can use narrower skins rather than full width skins , and can get pretty good glide of the skiboard on flats . Another option would be to dispense with skins altogether and use cross country grip wax. and just wax the bottom of your skiboards with the wax. In that case all you would need are the telemark cables and some cross country grip wax. If you are going to use regular ski boots , most of the non release skiboard bindings like the Revel8 receptor binding can be adapted for use ... If you want to use telemark boots, or snow boots , you will need a bale wide enough to accept your telemark or snow boots , a skiboard binding that has very wide bales that will accept telemark or snow boots is the zero binding , just has to have a lip on the front of the boot and a lip on the back of the boot for the system to work ...

here is an idea of what can be done . in this post with the receptor binding .
    using the front lever bale of the receptor binding for the front bale of the touring binding.
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9309

here is an idea of what can be done with the zero binding
    in this case walking is done by turning the binding around and using the heel bale as the toe bale
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9809

These simple solutions are currently being improved on with a new prototype aftermarket touring kit that should be available for testing this year , but the simple solutions above are perfectly fine for walking around on the flats and the new after market touring kit is really only necessary for steep difficult climbing.

let me know if you have questions
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Is there a alpine touring binding that can fit on a 40x40mm skiboard?

Comment

I found an AT binding that fits over a regular binding to allow for heal release when the need to walk comes up. Does anyone know anything about it and could it work over a skiboard binding? It is called the Backcountry Access Alpine Trekker.

http://www.telemarkski.com/backcount...867_p30960.htm

Comment

Originally posted by shfitzpa View Post
          Is there a alpine touring binding that can fit on a 40x40mm skiboard?
          jeff singer at spruce skiboards invented a riser to use with 4 x4 and 10x4 insert equipped skiboards. it is used with the fritschi alipine touring binding.
          he did not go commerical with it but he could possibly create a custom riser for you .

here is a link to pictures of a prototype of this riser
          http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...fritschi+riser
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

I found an AT binding that fits over a regular binding to allow for heal release when the need to walk comes up. Does anyone know anything about it and could it work over a skiboard binding? It is called the Backcountry Access Alpine Trekker.

http://www.telemarkski.com/backcount...867_p30960.htm
            i have one of those and have used it on regular skis with regular alpine ski bindings , i don;t like it , it raises you too high off the ski in my opinion and makes you feel like you are walking on stilts

it could be used with the spruce riser release system sold on this web site but would lead to way too high a stack height over the top of the skiboard

i do not recommend them .
            Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'm slowly starting to figure this all out, but some of the terms are confusing. What are touring cables?

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'm slowly starting to figure this all out, but some of the terms are confusing. What are touring cables?
                they are a telemark binding acessory that are used to allow us to tour with our skiboard bindings ...
                read through this post which has details and links of the ways we convert our skiboard bindings into touring bindings as well as links to to the required
                equipment ,

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ad.php?t=10404
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                X