Boot Suggestions wanted for soft boot setup with Rocker bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Suggestions wanted for soft boot setup with Rocker bindings

I just purchased new boards and soft boot bindings and am looking for suggestions for soft boots. I have a pair of Burton AWOL boots that I am planning on using, but have read some reviews that the boots are pretty flexible and soft, and it sounds like I would be happiest with the most stiff boot I can find. Has anyone had any experience with this and have any advice for me? Thanks!!

switched to softboot last season, really feel comfortable in my Salomon Synapse boots.. it's stiff but oh so comfy. 8/10 on the flex scale and I got 2013's in 2014 for really cheap from evo.com

Comment

George,

Sounds good man. I don't know if you remember, but I was one of the new guys at the 5.2 meet. I saw your setup and really liked it. I can't wait to see how comfortable they are. Have you tried any other boots with them and found it makes a huge difference either way? John and I will be up there for the first meet this year too! Can't wait!!

Comment

Originally posted by g.dub View Post
        switched to softboot last season, really feel comfortable in my Salomon Synapse boots.. it's stiff but oh so comfy. 8/10 on the flex scale and I got 2013's in 2014 for really cheap from evo.com
        Nice. I wasn't sure about the Synapse but they're supposed to be nice. The Malamute is a bit stiffer so I'm not sure how stiff I want to go. But I'm looking at either or.
        Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
        Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
        Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

Originally posted by jake.newhouse View Post
          George,

Sounds good man. I don't know if you remember, but I was one of the new guys at the 5.2 meet. I saw your setup and really liked it. I can't wait to see how comfortable they are. Have you tried any other boots with them and found it makes a huge difference either way? John and I will be up there for the first meet this year too! Can't wait!!

Yeah jake! Can't wait for BoHo to open up this year! I haven't tried any other boots.. perhaps someday I will. I went with the Synapse's after a good amount of research plus the available price point. I was also considering Malamutes based off of what alot of people here were saying but I when I started looking at what snowboarders had to say about them I found some serious complaints about the overall comfort factor from some people, the synapses's while being slightly less stiff than 9's and 10's on the scale are very nice to your feet and supportive. Mine have this quick lace system that looks something like a ripcord..they tighten real good, no boa to worry about getting in the way on the sides of the boots.

I'd say the most important thing when getting boots online is to take a good look at the sizing chart for said company...then actually trace your foot on paper and measure from the tip of the big toe to the center of your back heel and compare with the chart. Salomons run big...street shoes I wear a 10.5 or an 11 depending on the brand. My Synapses are size 10 and are the perfect fit.. something to keep in mind.

Also..I found the binding config to be the biggest factor in the softboot riding experience.. tilt of the highback.. straps and angle of the toe are all something to consider.. once thats sorted the ride is awesome.

Comment

Yeah jake! Can't wait for BoHo to open up this year! I haven't tried any other boots.. perhaps someday I will. I went with the Synapse's after a good amount of research plus the available price point. I was also considering Malamutes based off of what alot of people here were saying but I when I started looking at what snowboarders had to say about them I found some serious complaints about the overall comfort factor from some people, the synapses's while being slightly less stiff than 9's and 10's on the scale are very nice to your feet and supportive. Mine have this quick lace system that looks something like a ripcord..they tighten real good, no boa to worry about getting in the way on the sides of the boots.

I'd say the most important thing when getting boots online is to take a good look at the sizing chart for said company...then actually trace your foot on paper and measure from the tip of the big toe to the center of your back heel and compare with the chart. Salomons run big...street shoes I wear a 10.5 or an 11 depending on the brand. My Synapses are size 10 and are the perfect fit.. something to keep in mind.

Also..I found the binding config to be the biggest factor in the softboot riding experience.. tilt of the highback.. straps and angle of the toe are all something to consider.. once thats sorted the ride is awesome.
            Forgive me for asking but you're the only one I know that's tried the Synapse. I've tried on (for sizing) the Dialogue and the Dialogue Wide. It seems that my feet are wider so I might need the Synapse Wide. Apparently they are unavailable in Canada so not sure if you know anything about the difference. My local shop is getting their rep to drop off (apparently) the ONLY one in Canada in Size 9 (my shoes are size 10, and the Dialogue I tried was 8.5). So hopefully they'll fit.

Also, is anyone aware of the size difference between a wide boot and how they fit in the bindings?
            Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
            Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
            Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

Hey g.dub,

I was also looking to grab a pair of the Synapse's since they have a dedicated wide fit version and are high up there in the flex scale. Could you tell me which softboot bindings you were using (GGO, TechNine, Snowjam, etc)? Also, after hours of riding through the day, did you feel any discomfort in your legs/feet especially the areas that the 3 binding straps cover? I was reading a forum where this rider who was using Salomon Dialogue, which is only 1 or 2 flex rating below the Synapse, felt that the bindings were hurting his feet/shins an hour in of riding because he felt that they weren't stiff enough.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by mattydubs View Post
                Hey g.dub,

I was also looking to grab a pair of the Synapse's since they have a dedicated wide fit version and are high up there in the flex scale. Could you tell me which softboot bindings you were using (GGO, TechNine, Snowjam, etc)? Also, after hours of riding through the day, did you feel any discomfort in your legs/feet especially the areas that the 3 binding straps cover? I was reading a forum where this rider who was using Salomon Dialogue, which is only 1 or 2 flex rating below the Synapse, felt that the bindings were hurting his feet/shins an hour in of riding because he felt that they weren't stiff enough.

Thanks in advance!
                I'm using the modified Snowjam 540 binding - One of the main factors for me trying this softboot experiment thing was the idea that I could ride hard all day and still be able to walk the next..Personally, I was starting to get some major ankle and toe pain with my standard ski boots..although I could have upgraded my ski boots for a small fortune to something that probably would have helped, I really just wanted to throw the whole clunkly ski boot concept out the window even if it meant taking a dip in mostly uncharted waters and forsaking my FF pros. The experiment was a success.

Dialing in to the snowboard bindings takes some getting used to for sure, *crank crank crank... uncrank* I was stopping to readjust the tightness of the strap(s) until it felt right a few times.. as you take a few runs you'll get a sense for just how tight you need them, my initial instinct was to tighten them as much as possible (soft boots just feel so light!) and this can cause pain.

The Dialouge, being rated at 6 is just too low in my opinion, I'm guessing anything 5 and below is no more stiff than the keen boots I shovel snow in. Things seem to really stiffen up from there.. The Synapses are beefy enough IMO, the material wrapped around the sides is almost like kevlar yet the boot allows for some generous give on the forward flex, that being said, I wouldn't go any lower than 8..depending on the company maybe a 7 would work.

Comment

I really just wanted to throw the whole clunkly ski boot concept out the window even if it meant taking a dip in mostly uncharted waters and forsaking my FF pros.
                  If they're gold and in decent shape, feel free to forsake them in my direction please.
                  Boards/Bindings:
                  2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                  2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                    If they're gold and in decent shape, feel free to forsake them in my direction please.
                    LOL - says here you have 6 pairs! They are gold and in *decent* shape.. I'll probably hang on to them on my revolts for another season as loaners for any of my skiing friends who want to try them out. So.. maybe next year!

Comment

LOL - says here you have 6 pairs!
                      Yeah, 5 blue but only one gold. Gold in good shape are hard to come by.
                      Boards/Bindings:
                      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
                      X