Featured Rider: Dave Lynam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Featured Rider: Dave Lynam

Next up in our series is Dave Lynam, one of the RVL8 team riders. Anybody who has met and ridden with Dave knows he is a nice guy who absolutely loves the sport of skiboarding, finds joy simply being out riding no matter where it is and has a wicked good set of skills everywhere on the mountain.

SBOL: So we know your real name is David Lynam, you are 25 and you live in southeastern Pennsylvania. Can tell you us a bit more about yourself?

Well… I currently manage a restaurant where I have been working since I was 16. I enjoy keeping busy doing just about anything at all. I love to go to the roller and ice-skating rink on the weekends in the summer. I also enjoy flying model airplanes when I have the money to make them fly. I have a smoking-hot girlfriend who I have been with for three years now that enjoys doing just about all the things I do. I just got my associates degree in business management, so I’ve started looking for new work where I can feel a little bit more important at work and make adult wages! Other than that, I’m just as plain as the rest of the SBOL community.

SBOL: How did you get into the sport of skiboarding? What keeps you involved in the sport?

Most people know my older brother, Adam. He was and still is a big name in the sport. Growing up, I looked up to him and really aspired to be like him. When I turned 11, he gave me his old pair of what I’m pretty sure were called the microski. I did whatever I saw him do until I started riding with the whole SBOL crew. Then I really started to enjoy it. Now I continue to ride every year hoping to spread the amount of fun I have every day to everyone else on the mountain. It’s not fair that I have more fun than everyone else out there. Why not share the wealth?

SBOL: Your brother Adam was a RVL8 team rider. He would be considered part of the “Old Guard” of skiboarding. What influence did Adam have on you and your skiboarding?

Like I said above, he is the only reason I do this stuff today. As far as his influence on my continued riding, he has been there every year to coach me through all the tricks you see me do today. He has also made sure that I did just become a park rat, but that I also knew the meaning of the term “all mountain.” Adam introduced me to the back country when I was about 18, and I couldn’t be happier. Now I spend about a week out of the year with him in Winter Park Colorado training in the park, and enjoying some of the best back country the Rockies have to offer.

SBOL: What is Adam up to these days?

Adam is enjoying being the ultimate ski bum in mountain town. He plays music several days a week to pay the bills and loves every minute of it.

SBOL: How long have you been a RVL8 Team Rider? What are some of your favorite memories of being a team rider?

Let’s see here, I want to say I‘ve been with them officially since 2008, but Greco would probably know the exact answer to that. The best part of being on the team is the repeating trips to Lake Tahoe to ride/mingle with all of the people that make this community so special. Every trip out there has had something that has really stuck in my brain that I will remember for the rest of my life.

SBOL: Do you have any favorite resorts? What about these resorts makes them your favorites?

Actually, not really. I’ve figured out that I can thoroughly have fun anywhere we go. From the smallest hill in PA to the biggest mountain in the Rockies, anywhere that has snow makes me happy.

SBOL: You really seem to have a tremendous amount of “air presence” – a great amount of control while airborne and you are not afraid to go big. What do you do to train and learn new tricks? Are you as fearless as you look on video?

Doing that stuff just takes a lot of practice. Trampolines help, but nothing works as well as attempting it on the snow. Most of the time, I am very confident in the tricks I attempt in my videos. There are however, times when I have had some serious butterflies. Learning my first doubles was probably the most scared I’ve been, but once I try something once, I get the jitters out and my body then knows what to do. Every trick you see today is second nature to me.

SBOL: Any advice for riders who want to get better in the park?

Kirk Thompson is the better rider to ask stuff like this, but if you want my opinion, you don’t need to be doing the latest greatest tricks to be able to enjoy the terrain park, some of my favorite days of riding are ones where I do the most basic tricks. Strait-airing medium sized jumps makes me just as happy as doing the technical stuff. If you want to learn something new or how too, don’t be afraid to contact myself or any of the pros. Most of the time, we will be able to help you.

SBOL: You can take 3 people with you and ride anywhere in the world. Who would you take, why would you pick them, where would you ride and why would you pick that location?

I had to think for a serious amount of time about this question. It would make me sad to not be able to bring all the people I love to ride with. When it comes down to the answer, I would take Greco, KTP, and my brother Adam to the place of their choice. It wouldn’t matter where we went. I’m confident we could have fun in the middle of a desert. If you let me bring Talon and my girlfriend, I wouldn’t be upset.

SBOL: What are your plans for the 2014/2015 season?

I didn’t get to ride until just this last weekend (1/10/15) but on my second day out I ended up breaking my kneecap. I’m hoping it heals in time for me to get a few good days out in February/March. My plans went from learning a whole bunch of new tricks to just getting to ride more than two days.

SBOL: What do you think of the state of the skiboarding today? Where would you like to see things go in the next few years?

I love the community; I hope that the sport can sustain itself to keep the core companies in business.

SBOL: Are you surprised that skiboarding hasn’t become more popular? Do you think anything can be done to grow the sport?

No, the outsiders’ view on our sport is hard to overcome. People are afraid of what they don’t know. I think it’s up to us to show the world what they are missing out on. This last weekend on out little tour up the East Coast, we had about 5 or 6 different people try out our boards. They all had a similar mindset before and after trying them, “I’ve always thought they were a joke, but after using them I can’t believe I haven’t ridden them more.”

SBOL: Can you share a few of your favorite wintersports photos with us?

SBOL: Anything else on your mind?

Make sure to share your love for winter with everyone you come across. It doesn’t really matter what you ride, but we all know that when you skiboard, you have more fun than everyone else.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Another Dave Lynam video:

In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post

SBOL: Do you have any favorite resorts? What about these resorts makes them your favorites?

Actually, not really. I’ve figured out that I can thoroughly have fun anywhere we go. From the smallest hill in PA to the biggest mountain in the Rockies, anywhere that has snow makes me happy.
      I love this! Doing laps on a small mountain beats sitting on the couch any day. No matter if its a big resort or tiny hill there is fun to be had. Especially when you are on skiboards.

Great interview. Dave is truly one of the great ambassadors of our sport!!

The only question I have for Dave, that wasn't covered, is why many of his videos include a close-up of his mouth/teeth? Does Dave have bad dental insurance and is looking for a free check-up from an SBOL forum member that may be a dentist?
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Another great interview.

Dave, did your learn tricking skills from another sport, like martial arts, trampoline or diving and then apply them to skiboarding. Or did you just start throwing flips on the jumps? I've always wondered how some of the pros get to where there are.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

as far as the mouth thing goes, I always have a camera in my face. Sometimes it gets really close and I think it has become a natural reaction of mine to show a little teeth.

As for the tricks, I did have a trampoline, yes, but I dont really credit that with the knowledge to do those tricks. While the trampoline might have helped with a backflip, doing those tricks on the snow is completely different than on a trampoline
          facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

This interview has been loooooong overdue. Dave is a class act and knows how to entertain us old folks. It is alway a joy to meet up and chat with him.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
              This interview has been loooooong overdue. Dave is a class act and knows how to entertain us old folks. It is alway a joy to meet up and chat with him.
              I couldn't agree more. Dave is one of those fellows with a personality that would overflow a 55 gallon drum. I predict he will be a success at whatever he decided to do in life, and we will be happy for him. Carolyn refers to him as "that charming young man".

Comment

Great interview of a great skiboarder! Thanks guys!
                favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

I finally got around to reading this profile. It's great to learn more about the legend. I only meant Dave once for a brief time during the goodbye dinner at Shredfest. He was very entertaining and one heck of a nice guy.
                  Boards/Bindings:
                  2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                  2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
                  X