This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboard Construction - The Core

I started doing some research today into the various materials that goes into a skiboard and found a wealth of information. What started this was comparing the Summit Maurader 125 vs the Lacroix Carbon 125, with the Maurader using p-tex 4000 vs. Lacroix using p-tex 2000. Therefore, I think it could be helpful to start some threads about the materials used.

First topic was "What is Titanal?", now comes The Core:

Most skiboards have a wood core. Ash, Spruce, Poplar, and Beech are common. Most skiboard companies use vertically laminated cores for a more predictable flex pattern. A vertically laminated core consists of several strips of wood, maybe 3/4 inch wide, lined up side-by-side like a miniature hardwood floor, with each strip going down the length of the board. The stringers are the strips of wood that run through the areas occupied by the inserts. The stringers are often a stronger wood, such as Ash, whereas the rest of the core might be a cheaper wood, like Poplar. Ash has a maximum insert strength of around 1500 lbs/insert, whereas Poplar is more like 900 lbs/insert. Wood cores can be either straight or pre-cambered. Pre-cambered wood cores have a camber milled directly into the wood. Boards with straight cores get their camber entirely from the press while the epoxy cures. Pre-cambered wood cores extends the life of the board by preserving the board camber longer.

Cores will deviate in stiffness by a small amount from board to board, however the important thing is that each core should have a symmetrical flex pattern about the long axis. This symmetry is often achieved by creating a core that consists of two half-cores, where each half-core core is half the width, and a mirror image of the other half.

The type of core also determines how well a board holds its camber: Salomon Snowblades used a foam core, which provided a highly consistent flex pattern. However, Salomon Snowblades with the foam core tended to lose their camber quickly.

Question for all, what about other woods for the core, such as bamboo, which is super strong and super stiff, plus easily environmentally sustainable as it is technically a grass and grows really fast.
    Edward in NYC

More great info ED , bamboo is currently being used with great success in snowboards. My son was looking at some Arbor snowboards that had a bamboo core and are getting great reviews.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I love bringing lost topics to life!!!
      Im curious as to see what the long term reviews of the bamboo snowboards are like! Bamboo is the new pink!!! Extremely cheap and sustainable! (I have been reading they are now making beams for structures out of bamboo as well as structural lumber such as 2x4's and the like)

Always about saving the trees so we can ride through them during the winter!!! I know Jack is with me!!!
      '11 DLP
      '10 Condor / Black Zero Pro
      '10 KTP
      Journey boards and bindings
      '09 Tansho / FF-CAMS (GF's)
      Line Five-O (GF's)
      Groove AF1 / Groove cheapy's
      and not to forget my beloved first boards... Crazy Blades!!!!
      A big ass PA system, so lets throw a f*cking party!
      www.f1rstclasscitizen.com

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

I was looking really closely at the Arbor boards before I decided snowboarding would have to wait, and they seem to be very well regarded. I would love the chance to check out some bamboo skiboards. Who wants to help me bombard Revel 8's inbox?

Comment

Working...
        X