Other gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other gear

So I know the most important gear for skiboarding is the boards w/bindings and boots.

Is getting a helmet worth it? I am not planning on going to the park much when I go out. Learning to ride first always helps. If I a get a helmet my only problem would be can I find one to fit my big head. It wear a 8+ fitted Baseball cap.

Any other gear that would be worth getting besides the main ones?
    "I may be big but Im fast"

Big ass head like me.

Personally i dont think a helmet is worth it unless you have something to hit. e.g rails, boxes etc.

I say if you are just doing casual riding you dont need a helmet. I wear a helmet when i plan on doing park riding, or tricks that i know i might end up on my head, but not when I am out on the mountain.

If you do plan on getting one. Try out a Red tantrum XL fits about to a 62-64 i think. Its one of the biggest fitting Ive found.

A great pair of mitts/gloves are great to have..
    I personally recommend these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/BURTON-Black-RPM...ayphotohosting

The glove is a good thickness, warm, and has respectable grip. Full leather and thinsulate. I have a pair and they are amazing. Plus have a plastic knuckle guard.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Working as a lifty at killington years ago I saw a coulpe goobs just shredding along when they both turned towards eachother and smashed faces. It sounded like someone dropped a cantalope of a roof. Lots of blood and the guy from jersey had brain damage from the impact. So even if you think I dont need a helmet cause I am a good rider, some other moron could muff it all up for you. Isnt that why most of us where seat belts, not cause we cant drive but its the other drivers I dont trust. Stay safe.
      live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

helmets are great. Style wise id love to just wear a hat, but my bad luitenant suits me, keeps me warm and keeps me safe(r).

Id suggest getting one. And some decent gloves.

head + hands get cold first in my experiance.

I wouldwrite more but this keyboard is baaaadd,i im atcollege.
        all the gear and relatively little idea.

riding condors

www.exclaimskiboards.co.uk

rectangle

Comment

I like my helmet because it's a safeguard but also because it helps to keep my from losing a lot of warmth. Plus, you can fall other places than the park and hit your head. This past Feb on a Vermont trip a friend of mine had his feet come out from under him on some slick hardpack and his head hit the ground pretty hard. He was wearing a helmet but still got his bell rung soundly. He probably would have been in much worshe shape without the helmet.

I agree with the glove suggestion as well. A good pair of gloves is very important. Price is not always a good indicator either. I originally got some $80 gloves at a local ski shop, but they didn't fit with my jacket well. I ended up grabbing some Burtons on sale for $20 at Sports Authority about a week later and they're just about perfect.

Another suggestion that's not apparel related but stil equipment would be tools for your bindings/boots. Depending on the bindings, they may loosen up after a few runs. Most can be adjusted with a simple allen wrench that is easy to carry in a pocket, and definitely worth it.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Definitely get a helmet, and make sure it fits your head snug, and the chinstrap is locked in properly. Two years ago, someone I know got out of control and hit a tree. Her helmet wasn't fitted properly and she got amnesia for 3 days.
            Edward in NYC

Comment

helmets are key...you can usually find some cheap on steepandcheap.com if need be. They keep you warm and protect your bean, what else can you ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by winterparkrider
                It sounded like someone dropped a cantalope of a roof. Lots of blood and the guy from jersey had brain damage from the impact.
                Ouch!!

All comes down to personal preference. Helmet does keep some heat under the lid, and there is mad vents on the majority of helmets. Try them on first if you can, then bargain shop....
                Big heads always lose out in the end...

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

Definitely concur on the helmet thing. There are people out there in less control than you who may be going faster. Broken heads are no good. Not to mention many helmets have awesome ear flaps that will keep your ears nice and toasty, and some sort of doohickie to attach your goggles to.

Somewhat relevant to this thread: I flung myself off my bike back in May and managed to land pretty squarely on my head. It was far from pleasant, and I had a nasty and long lasting headache, but it's much better to have a mild and slightly annoying concussion than to be eating from a tube for the rest of your life. Said helmet was cracked on impact. In that case it was my fault, and perhaps if I hadn't been wearing a helmet I wouldn't have been feeling so cocky; however, stupid things happen, your fault or otherwise.

Fortunately, (back to winter-y stuff) as far as the dorkiness factor goes, a lot of people in WA wear helmets when skiing, so the feelings of being some sort of bubble boy aren't too bad.

Comment

Yeah, even though they usually make you look kind of stupid, I think it is worth it in the end. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Good for protecting you from the safety bar on the lifts...

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                      X