Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just have a question regarding the difference between skiboards and snowboarding on your knees.

I have bad knees one of which I've had surgery on and I am wondering if skiboarding is easier than snowboarding on them? I have snowboarded twice and it seemed like the rotational torque needed to turn really messes with your knees. Is this alleviated with skiboards since you are facing forward? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Visualize,

A topic near and dear to my heart - knees. My left knee has been completely reconstructed twice and before/between those 2 significant sessions I had a number of arthroscopic surgeries. Obviously, any question like this is personal and depends on your current condition but one of the reasons I skiboard is that it has never given my knee a second of grief. Ever. Not during or after. No pointed or general pain, no swelling, no weakness. Very body friendly in my experience. I consider myself a solid, intermediate, all-mountain rider who very much enjoys winding it up, I'm totally comfortable on terrain up to 35 degrees and this season have been on 42 degrees. Up to 35 I'll carve at what amounts to be full speed if conditions are smooth. Beyond that I intentionally reel it in a notch. I do moguls but am in the beginner stages but hopefully climbing out to entry level intermediate before end of season, I'm beginning to play in the park, can effectively do little tricks like ground 180's and 360's, ride fakie and do jumps that do not require flight reservations. So, I hope that gives you an idea of how I act and the pressures I place on my knees. Oh, I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. If you knee does not drop you on your ass getting out of a car I'd say skiboarding will be good to you. If your knee does drop you on your ass getting out of a car then I'd suggest getting back under the knife of an experienced sports surgeon (they only care about strength and stability as opposed to cosmetics) and certainly hope to see you on the slopes next season.
      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Nice, thanks for the in-depth reply. If you can get out there then I shouldn't have too much trouble. That is as long as some cartilage doesn't slip locking my knee and tumbling me down the mountain. I guess I'll worry about that when it happens.

Comment

HAHA that is soooo true why do so many snowboarders just go to terrain parks and sit there all day and get in my f***** way? I especially hate when they sit at the bottom of a jump!
          Revel8 Revolt "city" (lite riser release bindings)
          Revel8 Rumspringa "Mary Jane"
          "No guts No glory" my skiboarding motto
          Real Age: 20
          "I value my life more than a helmet" - nolhay

Comment

Originally posted by bigpopa52999 View Post
            I used to skiboard 4 years and i havent been since about 04. i loved it and want to get back in to it. I guess my question is i just making sure people still do it

I still Ride, and always will.

#Skiboarder4lyfe!!

Comment

Greco What is missing from here is a link to the original motivations for setting 110cm as the max board length for non-release bindings. I always forget the link to the definitive doc on this and it take a lot of googling to find it.
              Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
              Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
              Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                Greco What is missing from here is a link to the original motivations for setting 110cm as the max board length for non-release bindings. I always forget the link to the definitive doc on this and it take a lot of googling to find it.
                There is a document? I thought it was just an unwritten industry standard. (but it's not because I believe a 125 is being sold with 4x4)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                  There is a document? I thought it was just an unwritten industry standard. (but it's not because I believe a 125 is being sold with 4x4)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                  There was something. Maybe it relates back to the research someone did in Scotland on injuries. I'll keep on digging.
                  Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                  Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                  Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

There was something. Maybe it relates back to the research someone did in Scotland on injuries. I'll keep on digging.
                    Actually without needing a document, here is something to chew on. It only takes ~15Nm to cause a spiral fracture in the fibula (This will vary by age and genetics). On a skiboard that is 110cm long, this means that it requires 30N of force to be applied to the tip of the skiboard. This reduces to 23N on a 125cm board and 22N for 130cm.

30N is the roughly the equivalent of a 3kg dumb bell being dropped on your leg from a height 1m. (23N only requires 70cm). The relationship linear - simple Newtonian physics.

In the meantime here are two good medical reports, which still sets skibaording as very safe.

Comment

I just discovered skiboarding. Can someone tell me the differences between skiboards and twintip skis? I know twin tips are longer and narrower, but how do the two differ in terms of riding styles, technique,speed, maneuverability, etc?
                      Essentially, why would someone choose skiboards over twintip skis, and vice versa?

thanks!
                      Last edited by Greco; 02-09-2022, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Maneuverability and light on the feet with non release bindings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Skiboards are very, very maneuverable and don't require a lot of energy to make turns compared to skis, especially in situations like moguls or powder that can be a challenge to intermediate skiers. Since you don't have the long tips and tails in front and behind you, more of the action is underfoot, so your reaction times are a lot quicker and you're less likely to get caught up in the snow. They're lighter than skis, so it's easier to move them up and down to follow the contours of the hill (or jump over things). Poles aren't required, and if you use non-releasable bindings you won't have any yard sales when you crash.... it's often possible to get back up and keep riding before you stop like a snowboarder does.

Skiboards do require a good sense of balance, especially if you're in deep powder snow or moving quickly. It's easy to catch the tips under the snow and faceplant when landing jumps into deep powder, but choosing a board with some rocker will help greatly with this. If you mostly stick to groomers or harder snow this isn't an issue, and the full camber boards will work well.

The ease of making turns means you can initiate a lot of turns from the hips or even ankles, without needing the pole plants that skiing requires. I do tend to use my arms and shoulders similar to swinging ski poles when I'm on challenging slopes. It's a really good core workout if you're riding hard! (but you can take it easy, too).

You can ride very fast on skiboards, but they will be a bit less stable than long skis. The maneuverability makes up for the stability, but it's a bit of an adjustment. Fully cambered boards will be more stable at speed than fully rockered boards, but the camber/rocker boards like the Sticky Icky Icky or Spliff are a good compromise.

Here's a few videos that might give you some ideas of why I like skiboards over long twintip skis... don't think I could do this with long ones!

BOARDSLAYER
                          Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                          Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                          X