Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tall skiboarder advice

Originally posted by Bill View Post

Unfortunately, we're short on forwards with a goalie and three defensemen on the roster. Macro strikes me as a versatile sort, maybe he can move up and play wing ala Dustin Byfuglien.
    I kept goal in field hockey in my younger days. Yes men do play field hockey in the rest of the civilized world. As I already have the most important skill of happily being hit by hard objects at high speed, I'm sure I could make the transition to skates.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by noties View Post
      Thanks all for the advice and tips. I'm looking through the replies and see a couple of options.

Some of you have recommended the Sticky Ickys - - let's say I potentially tried and liked them and wanted to acquire some. It appears that they're all sold out on SBOL. Am I relegated to watching the sell forums or ebay for someone selling?
      Buy these from Bluewing --- https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16741 --- I can personally recommend anything coming out of his quiver will be in good shape and any trade will be honest and fair. He's a good guy.

.... Unfortunately, we're short on forwards with a goalie (Wookie) and three defensemen (noties, Macro, and myself) on the roster. Macro strikes me as a versatile sort, maybe he can move up and play wing ala Dustin Byfuglien. Kocho, don't you play? If so, what position? Anyone else?
      As a Ron Hextall fan growing up I will happily take care of all the scoring from the net!
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
          Buy these from Bluewing --- https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16741 --- I can personally recommend anything coming out of his quiver will be in good shape and any trade will be honest and fair. He's a good guy.
          +1. Amen to that! I still have the Sherpas and Blunts as evidence.
          171cm/190lbs
          Current Favorites:
          RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
          Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
          Other boards I'm trying:
          Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

If the Stickies are sure enough unavailable, the Blunt XL is a heck of a skiboard. They're big fun. As others have commented---if you're open to short skis---the Ethan Toos are excellent and a great value.

Unfortunately, we're short on forwards with a goalie (Wookie) and three defensemen (noties, Macro, and myself) on the roster. Macro strikes me as a versatile sort, maybe he can move up and play wing ala Dustin Byfuglien. Kocho, don't you play? If so, what position? Anyone else?
            I have to concur with Bill. The XL's are really great. I rode mine two days at shredfest and had a great time. I never thought I would enjoy riding a board so short after my past experiences. I thought I was only a long board rider until I bought these.
            Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
            Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
            Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
            History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Story continued...

I figured I would update this thread with the timeline since asking these questions since it may ultimately help other new skiboarders of any height.

I ended up buying a pair of 2017 Sticky Ickys when they came available in October this year. Decided to stick with ski boots and look at softboots some other time. Bought Ickys with Spruce SX10 release bindings and purchased new skit boots --->
              Atomic Live Fit 80s.
              When the Ickys showed up with bindings on, they looked MASSIVE! I was worried about the size and weight, but persisted.

Took them to Park City for Thanksgiving and while the snow really stunk, I still had an amazing time and really ended up obsessed with the move to skiboarding from skiing.

Shortly afterwards, I acquired a pair of Snowjam 90TT with a pair of Line FF Pro bindings. Ended up taking both Ickys and 90TTs out to Mammoth and Boise for trips and fell more in love. The 90TTs were sooooooo maneuverable and lightweight with the non-release bindings. So now I'm considering more boards and non-released bindings for all boards.

I'd like to learn park a little bit so considering another board set, but looking for recommendations. I'm totally new to park, but entertaining advice.

I'm so stoked to have fallen in love with skiboarding! I tried to make Westfest and Shredfest work in my calendar, but I think I'll have to wait till next year or another meet-up.

Tried uploading photos of my trip, but didn't work. I'll try in another post.

Comment

I really need to get the iSkiboard hockey jerseys printed up:

Wookie -- Skiboard Hockey Jersey

... and no Bill I will not consider doing these in St Louis Blues colors.

To stay on topic with the thread and to add to BadWolf's soft boot thoughts. A bad soft boot set-up is a bit like skating without lacing up your skates (to compare it to hockey). With hard boots you get a better lateral connection to your skiboards and can more aggressively control them particularly on hard snow.

One other thought here is I would guess at 6'7" you likely have big boots and soft boot set-ups can get bulky as the boots get bigger. Before ordering a softboot setup modified for skiboards you might want to check if the XL is big enough for your boots otherwise, if you already have a rigid hi-back binding for your snowboard you might be best off just adding the wings, third strap, and risers from this SBOL kit: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8softbootkit.html

If you end up with questions regarding fitting bigger boots in any binding Kocho is the guy to connect with here on the forum. He has some monster feet (I mean that as a complement) and has tried or researched most binding types and how they would fit with his boots.
                I'll take a Rickylink hockey jersey in Kings colors please
                rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
                  I'll take a Rickylink hockey jersey in Kings colors please

LOL .... I mocked that jersey up years ago but every time it comes back I get a little closer to having it made up. If I get the "iSkiboard" crest made up I'll let you know. Until I do I have an old Gilles Meloche goalie cut California Golden Seals jersey that I bought at a yard sale that you can ride in. It's ugly but a great conversation starter. (and it stinks as it lives in the bottom of my hockey bag as a practice jersey.)
                  Boards:
                  2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                  2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                  2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                  2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                  2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                  2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                  2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                  2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by noties View Post
                    I'd like to learn park a little bit so considering another board set, but looking for recommendations. I'm totally new to park, but entertaining advice.
                    You might want to take your Snowjams and Stickys into the park to see how they feel first, but those Stickys are going to be too soft for rails and any tricks with air. DLPs and KTPs seem to be the most recommended boards for park rats here and are reportedly designed for park riding. I have both, and your size points to DLPs as probably the best option especially if you will be doing jumps. Take a look at the youtube videos from Dave Lynam (rides DLPs) and Talon Sei (rides KTPs) - they are impressive and insane!

Comment

LOL .... I mocked that jersey up years ago but every time it comes back I get a little closer to having it made up. If I get the "iSkiboard" crest made up I'll let you know. Until I do I have an old Gilles Meloche goalie cut California Golden Seals jersey that I bought at a yard sale that you can ride in. It's ugly but a great conversation starter. (and it stinks as it lives in the bottom of my hockey bag as a practice jersey.)
                      Given that Rickylink is not the sort of fellow to shy away from bold colors, I'm seeing him more in a vintage King's purple and gold. Maybe with a Marcel Dionne #16 on the back?

Comment

Working...
                      X