New rider advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TK421 View Post
    Well...actual skis will not happen. She has no interest in getting on long skis again. She said something along the lines of the longer the ski the more there is to impale her into the mountain.

Her prior experience was enough to turn her off from long skis and I don't want to push her too much on it. My talking up about how great skiboarding is might have had something to do with it but that is also what made her say yes to trying again. At this point I will take what I can get.

She will use the Heads and rent boots and poles and get a private lesson.

I feel much better about everything now and she seems to be excited so that is the main thing. I really appreciate everyone that offered advice.
    One final bit of advice is to call ahead if you are renting from Snowshoe. I just did a quick look at Snowshoe's online rental system and it looks like they don't rent "just boots" only boots, skis, and poles packages plus they have an online reservation system the may streamline your rental process and ensure they have what you need reserved for you.

If you are set on just boots you might want to look for rentals at local ski shop or a shop near Snowshoe. If you get stuck renting the whole package rent the shortest skis they will give you. That way if she finds the Heads don't give her enough support she can move up to something longer without fear of impalement. Good Luck!!
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Good thinking. If Snowshoe does not rent boots only or want too much $$$, might consider renting them in Richmond. Don't know how the ski shops are in that area, but I would imagine there are a some outfits that do that. Take your time to find and try the boots off the slopes rather than find out on the slope that the couple of pairs they have there don't fit well for some reason.

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      One final bit of advice is to call ahead if you are renting from Snowshoe. I just did a quick look at Snowshoe's online rental system and it looks like they don't rent "just boots" only boots, skis, and poles packages plus they have an online reservation system the may streamline your rental process and ensure they have what you need reserved for you.

If you are set on just boots you might want to look for rentals at local ski shop or a shop near Snowshoe. If you get stuck renting the whole package rent the shortest skis they will give you. That way if she finds the Heads don't give her enough support she can move up to something longer without fear of impalement. Good Luck!!

Comment

I went to Snowshoe today and noticed that they have nice and new Head skiboards for rent. No one was renting them though - I was the only skiboarder...

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

There is a ski shop close by so we are going to rent boots locally. They can also make sure the bindings are adjusted correctly for her. I'm going to call and get a personal lesson scheduled.

Thanks Kocho for the info that they have Head skiboards for rent. The last time I was at Snowshoe was a few years ago and they were renting them at that time as well. Hopefully that means that there are instructors that have some knowledge about "short skis."

Comment

Working...
          X