New rider advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rider advice

Hi everyone. I'm not new to skiboarding but have a question for someone that is new to the sport.

In 2000 I bought a set of Canon H Series 90cm and pretty much taught myself. Up until then I had never been on the slopes. Few years later I picked up some Line Bullet 95cm and Head Big Easy 94cm boards. There were a couple other boards thrown in somewhere. I consider myself at a low intermediate skill level at most. Blue runs are no problem and I have done a couple single blacks. In the last 7 years I've only been able to hit the slopes on 2-3 occasions.

My question is for someone that has never ridden before. The better half and I are going to try and make a couple trips to Snowshoe, WV this year. She has been skiing once and it wasn't a great experience from what she told me. I want to make this experience as fun as possible for her. I can't say I will be a good teacher since it was just something I picked up on my own and never had any pointers.

First question. I still have the Canon, Head and Line boards. Which boards would be best for a beginner? My thoughts were the Canon's because they are 90cm which is the shortest of the bunch. They are also what I learned on so that is a little biased on my part. I've read that the Head 94's are great for beginners as well but I've only ridden them once and that doesn't give me much to go on.

Next question is what should I start with in teaching her? Is it worth trying to get lessons for her especially since most lessons are geared toward people learning to ski or snowboard. For me it was trial and error and just plain stubbornness that kept me going. More than likely that won't work for her. Any advice is appreciated.

Joe

Originally posted by TK421 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm not new to skiboarding but have a question for someone that is new to the sport.

In 2000 I bought a set of Canon H Series 90cm and pretty much taught myself. Up until then I had never been on the slopes. Few years later I picked up some Line Bullet 95cm and Head Big Easy 94cm boards. There were a couple other boards thrown in somewhere. I consider myself at a low intermediate skill level at most. Blue runs are no problem and I have done a couple single blacks. In the last 7 years I've only been able to hit the slopes on 2-3 occasions.

My question is for someone that has never ridden before. The better half and I are going to try and make a couple trips to Snowshoe, WV this year. She has been skiing once and it wasn't a great experience from what she told me. I want to make this experience as fun as possible for her. I can't say I will be a good teacher since it was just something I picked up on my own and never had any pointers.

First question. I still have the Canon, Head and Line boards. Which boards would be best for a beginner? My thoughts were the Canon's because they are 90cm which is the shortest of the bunch. They are also what I learned on so that is a little biased on my part. I've read that the Head 94's are great for beginners as well but I've only ridden them once and that doesn't give me much to go on.

Next question is what should I start with in teaching her? Is it worth trying to get lessons for her especially since most lessons are geared toward people learning to ski or snowboard. For me it was trial and error and just plain stubbornness that kept me going. More than likely that won't work for her. Any advice is appreciated.

Joe
    Last year was the first time my wife tried skiing. She rode the Head 94's all season (about 9 times out) and will start on those again this season. My goal is to get her to try the Spruce 120's and the Head Jr Caddys 131 this year. She flourished with the help of lessons, but in my opinion you have to find an instructor that doesn't treat you differently because you are on short skis. Several instructors here in the east had no idea what to do with the short skis and I kept telling the instructor just to teach like she normally would. My wife's best lesson experience was a private lesson at Brighton in Utah where the instructor wouldn't have cared if she had 2x4's strapped to her feet - he was going to make sure she left him confident and knowing how to ski on her own - and it worked. She learned more in that 2 hours and gained more confidence than I could've ever imparted on her myself in an entire season.

Comment

I also started on the Canon H-Series so my vote are those if they are in good shape (mine are totally wrecked). Being 11 underfoot they may also be the widest of the boards you have and thats also a bonus in variable conditions. I'd go to a skate rink (roller or ice) and maybe go for a spin. Skiboards, especially old school skiboards (99cm and under) definitely have that 'keep your center of gravity center' feel to them.. I remember some hilarious/painful bananana slips from leaning too far back and some awkward face plants from leaning too far forward when I was first learning, although the slips and spills usually related to landing jumps. So cruising groomers should be a breeze, fore/aft stability is the hardest part of the skiboarding learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
        My wife's best lesson experience was a private lesson at Brighton in Utah where the instructor wouldn't have cared if she had 2x4's strapped to her feet - he was going to make sure she left him confident and knowing how to ski on her own - and it worked. She learned more in that 2 hours and gained more confidence than I could've ever imparted on her myself in an entire season.
        This is pretty much what I've been thinking. It would be great if she could gain some confidence and have a good time. I will check on getting her a personal lesson but the fact she is on skiboards is what concerns me. Even when I was going to Snowshoe more often most people were on skis and snowboards. Hopefully there is an instructor that knows the difference.

I like the idea of the Head 94's because of the release bindings. Also, they are basically new so a tune-up won't be needed. The edges are still sharp and the base is still nice. Save a couple bucks that way. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by g.dub View Post
          I also started on the Canon H-Series so my vote are those if they are in good shape (mine are totally wrecked). Being 11 underfoot they may also be the widest of the boards you have and thats also a bonus in variable conditions. I'd go to a skate rink (roller or ice) and maybe go for a spin. Skiboards, especially old school skiboards (99cm and under) definitely have that 'keep your center of gravity center' feel to them.. I remember some hilarious/painful bananana slips from leaning too far back and some awkward face plants from leaning too far forward when I was first learning, although the slips and spills usually related to landing jumps. So cruising groomers should be a breeze, fore/aft stability is the hardest part of the skiboarding learning curve.
          The Canon's are not in un-usable shape but they are really showing their age. Lots of chipping and there is a spot on one of the bases showing the core. The edges are not sharp at all and the bases haven't seen wax in years. A tune up is really needed. They are definitely the widest of the boards I have right now.

I started on the Canons back in 2000 so there wasn't many people on skiboards yet. There were times that I would take a turn too tight and do a 180 or 360. People on skis were amazed and would ask me tons of questions. It was a great conversation starter for sure. Of course I would play it off like it was intentional. More often than not I would end up on my backside. If I ended up airborne it wasn't on purpose! It was a great time.

Comment

..... I will check on getting her a personal lesson but the fact she is on skiboards is what concerns me......
            I would not be concerned about doing a private lesson on skiboards. If it was a group lesson there may be some concerns by the instructor on the capabilities of skiboards relative to the rest of the group but in a one-on-one situation the instructor can adjust the class to whatever your wife needs. My wife has done lessons at several mountains and just calls ahead to make sure she finds an instructor that has an open mind. After a lesson at Spring Mountain in PA the instructor bought a pair of skiboards that she now uses herself while coaching small kids and for a lesson that she did at Beaver Creek in CO the instructor showed up with his old pair of Line Skiboards and was happy to join her on shorties for the day.

......I like the idea of the Head 94's because of the release bindings.......
            This may be your wife's only choice from your quiver if you do lessons as most places won't give instruction on skiboards that have non-release bindings. And frankly for a rider that is just starting step-in bindings are easier than bending over for non-release bindings.

One last thought if you don't have poles you might want to pick up a cheap pair for your wife to start with. While you certainly don't need poles to skiboard they are a good instruction tool and make navigating the lift line much easier for an inexperienced rider.
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post

This may be your wife's only choice from your quiver if you do lessons as most places won't give instruction on skiboards that have non-release bindings. And frankly for a rider that is just starting step-in bindings are easier than bending over for non-release bindings.

One last thought if you don't have poles you might want to pick up a cheap pair for your wife to start with. While you certainly don't need poles to skiboard they are a good instruction tool and make navigating the lift line much easier for an inexperienced rider.
              Thanks Wookie. Great advice. She will need to rent boots so poles will be in order as well. I was going to ask about poles but totally forgot. My first few times trying to get to the lift were an adventure. Thanks for the reminder.

Lots of great advice from everyone. I really appreciate it. It has been so long since my first time on the slopes and I didn't have anyone to point me in the right direction. More than anything I want my better half to have a good time and hopefully she will want to go more often.

Comment

Why not let her take lessons on rental skis? She will fit in better and the instructor will probably be more at ease with familiar equipment. Once she has the basics down on skis, skiboards will feel like a breeze.
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                  Why not let her take lessons on rental skis? She will fit in better and the instructor will probably be more at ease with familiar equipment. Once she has the basics down on skis, skiboards will feel like a breeze.
                  My thought too since you are renting boots and poles. You likely won't spend too much more to rent a full set of gear. Have her ask for skis on the shorter side of the recommended length. That will make the first day easier. Bring the Head Skiboards too and she can try both with the rental boots.
                  Boards:
                  2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                  2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                  2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                  2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                  2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                  2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                  2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                  2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Had not given something like that any thought. Sounds like a good idea. I will suggest renting the full setup to start with.

Comment

Well...actual skis will not happen. She has no interest in getting on long skis again. She said something along the lines of the longer the ski the more there is to impale her into the mountain.

Her prior experience was enough to turn her off from long skis and I don't want to push her too much on it. My talking up about how great skiboarding is might have had something to do with it but that is also what made her say yes to trying again. At this point I will take what I can get.

She will use the Heads and rent boots and poles and get a private lesson.

I feel much better about everything now and she seems to be excited so that is the main thing. I really appreciate everyone that offered advice.

Comment

Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                          Be sure to let us know how it goes.
                          Yes, please do.

Remember to be really, really, really patient, positive, and reassuring. Resist the urge to offer advice unless asked.

Good luck!

Comment

I got into skiboarding through a private lesson at Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington, NY on a pair of 90cm Salomon boards that had release bindings. The instructor was on the same boards. It was a fun experience, a great intro to skiing and hooked me from that point on. I was 45 at the time and had only skied occasionally and very badly in the past. I was an advanced intermediate snowboarder who was not having fun snowboarding anymore. Whiteface actually offers a "graduate length" learning program where people start on 90cm boards and then go to something like a 135cm ski and then a 150cm ski if you do the full 3-days. They call it the "parallel from the start" program. I think they do it a Belleayre Mountain in NY now as well. This kind of program unfortunately is rare in the US.

My point is a private lesson on something easy to ski like a Head 94 (my first boards) with the right instructor is a great way to get started. I would suggest trying to get an instructor who knows your wife will be on boards and is cool with it, but also is in the same general age range so they can relate well to each other. I remember taking a snowboarding private lesson (the only one I ever had) with an instructor who was maybe 19 and I was 42 at the time. He was a nice young guy, but he had no idea how to teach a 42 year old dude how to snowboard. I really don't think he understood how to ride (or at least how explain it) - he just was able to do it. I taught myself to ride after that.

While poles are very useful tools, I would suggest no poles for the first time out. My experience is that they are just one more strange and foreign thing for the person learning to worry about. I did not use poles when I first started skiboarding. When I taught my teenage daughter how to ski using skiboards, I started her off with no poles. Once the basic ski movements are understood and can be done proficiently, then introduce poles. My suggestion when poles are introduced that at first she ski with the poles held parallel in front of her (i.e., both poles held together in front with one hand on the handles and one near the baskets). Some ski training exercises actually use this technique. Once that feels comfortable, then move on to having the poles in hands and skiing with them in a "normal" way.

Another thing that can work well is to find some other skiboarders to meet up and ride with after the first lesson(s) - people who are willing to ride slow and help someone learn - if by nothing else than by example. I know from my personal experience that it can also be easier for a family member to ask for and receive advice from a non-family member so if you are riding with other people your wife might have someone to get some tips from with no "relationship" dynamics.

Most important thing is to make it as relaxing, unintimidating and fun as possible. When I took my lesson I was really nervous and I must have looked it. The instructor looked at me on the lift on the first time up and asked me if I knew what the most important muscles were in skiing. He looked me in the eye, smiled a huge smile and pointed at this face and said, "These muscles. If you are smiling, you open you mind to learning" or something along those lines which broke the ice for me and did exactly as he said it would.
                            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

This Japanese skiboarding video has some useful information in it. The exercise where the rider is placing his hand on his knee and pressing on that knee to initiate the turn is a good learning exercise. The lesson I took at Whiteface used this. The key is for the rider to keeping his/her head up and look down the slope to where they want go while doing this.

https://youtu.be/4TU2bo9nD04

Here is a link to the narration translation: https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ead.php?t=7540
                              In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                              Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Working...
                              X