No announcement yet.

New boards... Should I get them waxed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boards... Should I get them waxed?

Hey guys I've never purchased brand new boards. It's always been used stuff. This time around I have new skiboards and I got my wife a new snowboard. So they come pre waxed but what is the general consensus about the stock wax job? Should I get them waxed before we go or just roll with them the way they are? We leave in four days so if I'm gonna need to wax em then I better do it quick. [emoji4]

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is always best to get a fresh wax job. The factory wax picks up dust and dirt during storage and shipping.

Comment

It takes multiple waxwings to get the wax deep into the pores of a new board. I try to wax mine three or four times before I use them when they are new. You can use them new with the factory wax, but it is a process to get them really good.
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

If the boards come from a producer that takes care of tuning and waxing before shipping to the consumer (like Head, Volkl, Spruce, etc.), I think I'd just take them out the first day and see how they feel. I had absolutely no issues doing that with my Spruce 120s and Raptors from Jeff at Spruce and with my Volkl skis and Head skis and snowboard. I'd probably wax them after the first day or two and repeat after each 2-4 days out from then on. Yes, freshly waxed skis feel better, but they seem fine for 2-3 days of skiing at least for me (and can go much longer without too much degradation, but they may become increasingly stickier in some conditions).

Comment

Thanks all. Time is a premium commodity right now and I'm running out of it lol.
          I'm going to try to get them waxed tomorrow, if not we are just gonna roll with them and have them waxed at the place we are staying after the first day.

Comment

FWIW... We all skied the 3 days with the wax that was on our sticks. Since none of us were going extremely aggressively, they all skied fine without a rewaxing. Unfortunately we are done until December. Any tips for storage?

Comment

Originally posted by Daytoman View Post
              Any tips for storage?
              Wax them, don't scrape them, store them.
              Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                  Wax them, don't scrape them, store them.
                  I don't scrape much at all anymore. I iron the wax in as evenly as I can, I might scrape a little if I left a gnarly place with the iron or to remove excess from an edge. But other than that I buff it a bit, length wise with a greenie pad.

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                    I don't scrape much at all anymore. I iron the wax in as evenly as I can, I might scrape a little if I left a gnarly place with the iron or to remove excess from an edge. But other than that I buff it a bit, length wise with a greenie pad.
                    Nooooo! you must remove ALL left over wax from your bases after waxing. ANY left over wax will only slow you down. The point of hot waxing is to open up the porous p-tex plastic with heat, and fill the microscopic holes with wax. Anything that does NOT enter the microscopic holes needs to be removed.

Wax goes IN the base not ON the base.
                    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Based on this...

http://www.gizmag.com/unwaxed-skis-work-better/15402/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0614092536.htm

... I tried not waxing a pair of boards a couple seasons ago. The only difference I noticed between waxed and unwaxed boards was warm, spring condition where the waxed pair was actually much worse... very grabby and slow. I even went in to the shop at lunch and had them put on some different wax for me. Unwaxed boards still performed better in those conditions.

I did not wax at all this season nor did I ever feel a need to.

My vote: Save your money and your time and join the no-wax revolution.
                      Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
                      Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
                      Full Tilt Boots
                      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Here's the actual research paper:

http://epubl.ltu.se/1402-1757/2006/0...IC-0603-SE.pdf
                        Full Tilt Boots
                        Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForAir View Post
                          This article makes no sense... they are confusing glide wax with kick wax. Cross country kick wax or grip wax as shown in the photo is made to STICK to the snow so you can propel forward.

But I also rarely hot wax and haven't really noticed a difference.
                          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                            This article makes no sense... they are confusing glide wax with kick wax. Cross country kick wax or grip wax as shown in the photo is made to STICK to the snow so you can propel forward.

I did not concern myself too much with the details of the article or research paper the article was based on... I just decided I'd try it and find out for myself.

Maybe if I were racing or going for fastest possible speeds, I'd notice a difference. Otherwise, I'm fully convinced wax is a waste of time. I especially don't buy the "it protects your bases" contention. The abrasion resistance of UHMW is far greater than that of any wax.
                            Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post

I think Gizmag just used a wrong photo. The research is all on glide wax.
                              Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Working...
                              X