Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to take to Whistler next week?

First: I'm a relative newb.

I'm heading to Whistler/Blackcomb early next week for a few days of playing in the snow. My choice of sliding implements include Blunts, 99cm Defiance Blades and 118cm Head Residue twin tips (from the lovely dudes at Spruce).

I've been out on the Blunts a couple of times, but find them a little frustrating -- the Receptor bindings require that I find someone to help me get into them, and the width make them difficult for me to skate without them constantly slapping into each other.

Feeling a little confused about what I should take -- my bag will accommodate any combination of two of those, but not all three. Advice? Thanks.

It sounds like you are not quite ready for the Blunts or non release bindings yet. So take the blades and the Heads and have fun. There is nothing worse than fighting your equipment on a trip.

The wider, zero camber boards ,like the Blunts do require a little change in technique, as well as a change in attitude, to make them sing. Once you get the hang of them you will you be glad you bought them. They will be better in the powder than your blades.

Non release bindings can be tricky to put on until you get it down. Practice at home. Set up the bindings bales and leashes, put your heel in first, then the toe piece. Two tips; put your leash on the heel bale so you can use it to pull the bale up. This prevents you from reaching down and back so far. Also put a glove under your boards so the don't slide on the snow. It's all in the preparation; make sure you are on flat, clean ground and get the snow off your boot soles. Once you get it,you got it.

Also think about how your ski day goes. If you put your skiboards on in the morning and ski all day without a break, then non release isn't an issue. But if you take lots of breaks and use the gondola all day, then non release can become a chore.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
      X