Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newb Progression (possibly interesting to others just starting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Progression (possibly interesting to others just starting)

6', 225 lbs. complete newb.
    revolt trees w/ tyrolia attack 13 bindings and spruce risers.
    boots set on "hike" mode instead of "ride" mode (for maximum flex i've learned through trial and error).

here is my progression, never really ski'd before (grew up waterskiing, slalom and mostly hydrosliding)

1st day, Keystone, 01/15, fell several times, all in all, good few hours getting balanced on them on the bunny hill and then feeling very uncomfortable on a big green (took too big a leap in difficulty of hill).

2nd day, Winter Park, 02/07/15, knew the perfect hill to start off with, discovery park, simple small green. To my surprise, had an awesome 4 hour lesson from badass skiboarder krillinakw (as I mentioned in another thread). Went down this hill a dozen times, tried the next size up green, (Jack Kendrick), didn't feel comfortable, went back to discovery and ran the small hill a few more times, fell several times altogether, mainly letting the wrong edge bite it, mainly riding flat and kindof wedgey.

3rd day, Winter Park, 02/14/15, went back to discovery park and rode the same small hill 20 more times, didn't fall, felt I was starting to parallel pretty good, albeit still flat and slow. got very bored w/ that hill, but called it a day.

4th day, Winter Park, 02/18/15, skipped discovery park and went back to the medium size green, "jack kendrick", and ran it half a dozen times, didn't fall once, considered it quite an achievement, called it a day. Felt I got really good at stopping, as well as stopping at the right time (at the crest of a steep slope). I'll eventually not do this, but for now it's comforting to be in that much control already. Also felt I was parallel and on edge.

5th day, Winter Park, 02/28/15, went straight back to jack kendrick, ran it another half dozen times without falling. Recorded my top speed at 21mph and 1,067 vertical feet. Felt I was finally getting somewhere, although obviously, I still haven't let the dogs out; I'm holding them back and I can feel it. Today I felt the edges more than ever.

6th day, Winter Park, 03/07/15, 2nd day w/ krillinakw! Instead of hitting about 25% of the mtn and nothing but greens, Austin had me on blues, and all over the mtn. (high lonesome, sunnyside and even panoramic) Didn't fall once. Felt better than ever. Recorded my top speed at 29mph, 18 miles, and 3,067 vertical feet. WHAT A DAY!!! AGAIN, AUSTIN QUADRUPLED WHAT I WOULD HAVE ACCOMPLISHED TODAY ALONE. He is THE MAN!!!!
    Rigs as of 2021
    - RVL8 Revolt Trees w/ Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo
    - Summit Invertigo's w/ Salomon Shift MNC 13 AT Bindings
    with Dalbello Quantum Free 110

Originally posted by mikeingram71 View Post
    6', 225 lbs. complete newb.
    revolt trees w/ tyrolia attack 13 bindings and spruce risers.
    boots set on "hike" mode instead of "ride" mode (for maximum flex i've learned through trial and error).

here is my progression, never really ski'd before (grew up waterskiing, slalom and mostly hydrosliding)

1st day, Keystone, 01/15, fell several times, all in all, good few hours getting balanced on them on the bunny hill and then feeling very uncomfortable on a big green (took too big a leap in difficulty of hill).

2nd day, Winter Park, 02/07/15, knew the perfect hill to start off with, discovery park, simple small green. To my surprise, had an awesome 4 hour lesson from badass skiboarder krillinakw (as I mentioned in another thread). Went down this hill a dozen times, tried the next size up green, (Jack Kendrick), didn't feel comfortable, went back to discovery and ran the small hill a few more times, fell several times altogether, mainly letting the wrong edge bite it, mainly riding flat and kindof wedgey.

3rd day, Winter Park, 02/14/15, went back to discovery park and rode the same small hill 20 more times, didn't fall, felt I was starting to parallel pretty good, albeit still flat and slow. got very bored w/ that hill, but called it a day.

4th day, Winter Park, 02/18/15, skipped discovery park and went back to the medium size green, "jack kendrick", and ran it half a dozen times, didn't fall once, considered it quite an achievement, called it a day. Felt I got really good at stopping, as well as stopping at the right time (at the crest of a steep slope). I'll eventually not do this, but for now it's comforting to be in that much control already. Also felt I was parallel and on edge.

5th day, Winter Park, 02/28/15, went straight back to jack kendrick, ran it another half dozen times without falling. Recorded my top speed at 21mph and 1,067 vertical feet. Felt I was finally getting somewhere, although obviously, I still haven't let the dogs out; I'm holding them back and I can feel it. Today I felt the edges more than ever.

6th day, Winter Park, 03/07/15, 2nd day w/ krillinakw! Instead of hitting about 25% of the mtn and nothing but greens, Austin had me on blues, and all over the mtn. (high lonesome, sunnyside and even panoramic) Didn't fall once. Felt better than ever. Recorded my top speed at 29mph, 18 miles, and 3,067 vertical feet. WHAT A DAY!!! AGAIN, AUSTIN QUADRUPLED WHAT I WOULD HAVE ACCOMPLISHED TODAY ALONE. He is THE MAN!!!!
    Great to see this look at your progression - sounds like you are having a good time!

Comment

thanks! having a BLAST.
      Rigs as of 2021

Comment

Great to see your progression. It's great once you get over that learning hump. Even this season, in my 2nd year, I've done a few things differently and have learned how to get a lot more control on my skiboards at faster speeds. In addition, my turns are tighter and I'm using the beginner runs to finetune the smaller points.
        Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
        Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
        Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

This is great stuff!
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Latest: From noob to Parssen Bowl in 8 days. Austin had me on the Bowl on day 6, but day 8 we came down the real way and into the tight groomed trees, all mindblowingly fun on boards. Turning, stopping on a dime, PLAYING LIKE I HAVE NEVER PLAYED BEFORE.

Rigs as of 2021

Comment

Originally posted by mikeingram71 View Post
              PLAYING LIKE I HAVE NEVER PLAYED BEFORE.
              This IS what it is all about!

Awesome!

Comment

Guarantee I would NOT be coming down Forget me not on skis or snowboard, had I chosen either of those devices, on day 8. These are everything y'all said they would be, so I thank you all.
                Rigs as of 2021

Comment

Way to go man, I'm really glad you are having such a good time on these fun little devices that bring us all together. I look forward to riding many times in the future!

Comment

day 9 and last day of season, fucking fell all over the thickest shit I had been in thus far, fucking up my rotator cuff. oww. i should have stayed on the groomed stuff. on the ungroomed, it was so deep, everything looked like a mogul, lol. no one else was complaining.
                    Rigs as of 2021

Comment

Indeed, groomer skills and pow skills are very different. But, stay with it. You'll wake up one day and be a freak. "The price of big mountain skills is hospital bills."
                      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                        Indeed, groomer skills and pow skills are very different. But, stay with it. You'll wake up one day and be a freak. "The price of big mountain skills is hospital bills."
                        That is a terrible last quote!!

Comment

Ha ha. I was just trying to ease the pain of his rotator cuff injury a little. A sort of "we've all been there" and "you'll bounce back" type of statement.

Comment

Take me today for example. I grabbed some paperwork off my desk for a meeting and sustained an UGLY paper-cut. But, I stepped up to the plate, took the bull by the horns and made the meeting. Hell, tomorrow morning I have another meeting first thing. Am I a little apprehensive? You bet I am. But, I'm getting back on that horse and taking her for a ride. That's where I'm coming from.

Comment

i like both your analogies mahatma! yea, first austin tricked me into going down a black diamond, then didn't warn me about the deep! haha, all his fault! j/k austin!

oh i'm not apprehensive at all about trip #10. will be buying my next season pass as soon as possible, and not changing a thing about my setup.
                              Rigs as of 2021

Comment

Working...
                              X