new rider.. sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new rider.. sort of

I am (was) a level 6-7 skier I have the skills to have fun but not the experience to know equipment pros and cons and I originally bought a pair of firefly rpr 185 (99cm) snow blades so I can work with my daughter while she learned to ski. The small size ability to easily ski backwards and nimbleness as well as price made it a smart choice in my mind. I have not used my skis since I purchased them ~5 years ago which amounts to about 5 trips lol.

I found them to be just plain fun and I progressed even with few days through racing down blacks and goofing around on blues. I only really bail if I am goofing like on wed when I was frequently spinning and made 5 consecutive spins got dizzy and bailed comically. Ice or crust has always being a challenge for these blades and I would lose my edge and slip out which lead me to looking online and eventually finding this sight and pow or curd never skid well as they either have poor flex or not enough loft and the tips catch. I also found jumping to be harder than skis but balance is definitely an issue as I think I am sitting back too much. Anyhow I rant

I signed up on wed and impatiently awaited my account to be authorized, just receiving it though a little late I ended up buying a new pair of spruce 120s skichair on ebay today as it was such a good deal but I was wanting to get some idea on the best model for me. Obviously late but I want an all mountain ski board with ability to goof on the flats doing spins and hopefully some butters as they look to be a blast after watching some vids. I also want to improve my jumping but also thought about being able to skin and do some back country stuff as I have recently done a snowshoe trip with my army reserve unit and we are looking at doing a back-country skiing trip soon.

Looking for opinions (5'7" 185lbs muscular build) also after extensive searching I am not sure how to skin a ski board as they are short and huge tipped.

oh yea, is there any prep I have to do to the boards before I use them as I want to take care of these and wax or edge prep to get the best experience and not wear the base prematurely.

Comment

Excellent choice! The 120s can pretty much do it all. Check out the backcountry section http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...splay.php?f=23. It should answer any of your questions regarding BC riding.

As far as prep, personally I would give them a good hot waxing, leave the edges alone, and go.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I am just about the same size as you. I've spent some time on the 120s and just about everything else (Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, ALPs/DLPs, Condors, Sherpas). The 120s are a great choice and a lot of people on here really love them from beginners all the way up to expert riders. I think you'll find they will give you plenty of room to grow and will prove very versatile for you. Having the second set of inserts to setback your bindings for deep pow days is a nice bonus that I did not have when I was riding 120s a few seasons back.

As you explore this forum, you'll find personal preferences vary wildly and many of us go through many different models of boards trying to find our best fit. You may find yourself doing the same ... or you may find the 120s perfect for you. In either case, the 120s are a great first choice.

Welcome to the forum and have fun.
        Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
        Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
        Full Tilt Boots
        Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

boards have arrived looking forward to getting them to the snow. Nice wide platform will definitely be infinetly better than the blades in the crud/pow

Comment

As Rob said, personal choice varies wildly. For me, the Rockered Condors are my go-to boards of choice for most situations, but I also like to mix it up by riding some of my shorter boards. My advice to you would be to spend some time on the 120's to get a good feel for them, and then get a set of boards with very different characteristics. I recommend the Revolts or KTP's since they are both closer to the traditional skiboard length and are great all mountain boards. Pair them with some Bombers or Receptors, and you'll have a good solid setup, that will give you some nice variety compared to the 120's.
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Working...
            X