Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on Summit Jade 87cm w/ Atomic XTE 10 release bindings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Summit Jade 87cm w/ Atomic XTE 10 release bindings.

I have a question about Summit Jade 87cm w/ Atomic XTE 10 releasable bindings.
    I purchased Summit Jade 87cm from skiboards.com through ebay. I received my boards yesterday, and there are issues I want to ask about.
    This is my first skiboards that I bought. It was $404 normally but I paid $299 b/c my offer was accepted.
    However, I put my boots fit into the binding and when I put my weights on and every time I move I hear SQUEAKING sound, and I think it is from the binding b/c the binding is adjustable without any tool.
    I want to know if this is okay to hit the slope. And one more thing is the side brake that is not wide enough b/c the width of the board is wide so it's hard to combine both boards and hold them.
    So I sent an email to skiboards.com and he said I can file the plastic part of the brake with a sand paper, and the SQUEAKING sound from the binding will go away after use.
    I want to know if it is safe to ride, or if I have to return it.

The binding is mounted directly to the boards and I read one of the forums reviewing Summit Nomad that the Heel unit of tyrolia binding detached from the plate while she was riding down the heel.
    So I don't know how good Summit Jade 87cm is and how safe with mounting the binding directly to the boards. (Especially I get SQUEAKING sound) It is brand new pair, and I just got it yesterday.

Please answer my questions skiboard addicts lol so that I can decide if I made a good decision of purchase or if I have to return them. This is my first skiboard purchase.

Thank you.

Bummer that you purchased boards and have issues with them out-of-the-box.

Regarding the squeaking from the binding - it is hard to say without physically examining them. I have Head 94 boards with direct mounted Tyrolia adjustable bindings (probably similar to the Atomics on your boards) and they do make a bit of noise but I have never had a problem with them. I think it is the plastic pieces that are part of the adjustable plate and rail. People who participate on this forum have had issues with the direct mounted bindings on Summit boards - specifically with the mounting screws pulling out of the top plate of the board - usually the heel since that is a bigger leverage point.

I can't quite follow what you are saying regarding the issue with the brakes. If you mean that the brake arms will not clear the sides of the board and are stopping their travel then that is definitely a problem since the brakes won't operate correctly. Sanding the plastic "shoes" on the end of the brake arms doesn't sound like a great fix - seems like the correct width brake wasn't used.

Ultimately, it is your decision regarding keeping them or sending them back. Here are a few things to think about:

--These boards are really short to have bindings directly mounted to them. That really limits the flex of the board under the binding footprint - you will have very little area of these boards with any flex.

--If you don't have confidence in your equipment that is a negative when you are out on the mountain - you need to trust your gear so you can focus on riding

Take a look at the skiboards sold on this site. They are very high quality boards. If you want to go with release bindings like you have the Spruce riser system is fantastic - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/c/spruce_bindings.html. The riser mounts to the inserts on the skiboard and the release bindings are mounted to the riser. The risers are designed with a "ramped" profile so they have a very small footprint on the board allowing much more of the board to flex than when directly mounting binding to the board. You only have to buy 1 riser/binding set-up and you can move it from board to board just by unscrewing 4 fasteners using a screwdriver and then tranferring it to another board. That is a big benefit if you end up having multiple boards - in the future you buy just the boards with no bindings.

You will have lots of length and width choices here as well. If you wanted to stay on the shorter side (assuming that since you purchased the Jade boards) you could go with:

Allz 94s - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/allz9409.html

Allz 90s - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/allz2011.html

Revel8 Tanshos - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8tansho11.html

Revel8 BWPs - these are the same dimensions as the Slapdash below but with a softer flex pattern - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8bwp08.html

Revel8 Slapdash - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8slapdash12.html

If you want to go longer there is a great "holiday sale" on for the Spruce 120s - I just bought a set of these; great boards, very stable ride, good edge hold on harder snow, nice longitudinal flex but good torsional stiffness (meaning they have a compliant ride but good edge hold) - you can get a set of boards and the Spruce riser and bindings for $375. That is a great price. Either the "Chairlift" or "STS" 120s (the boards on the right)

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/c/spruce_skiboards.html

Sorry for the long response. If you have any questions, the people on this forum are fantastic. Don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck in getting your problem sorted out.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I would return the Jades. They sound like problem boards with the squeaking and brakes. You'd be better off with boards and bindings off of this site. Also unless you are under 5-feet tall, there's no need to be using release bindings on boards so short. I'd go with quality non-release instead. If you are set on the Jades because you love the graphics or something, consider another pair with 4x4 inserts installed. Skiboards.com may sell them already like that, or will install them for you. That's what they used to do anyway. Then you'll have the option of non-release bindings or going with a Spruce riser and release bindings set-up. I have three Spruce combos, and not one squeaks.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Thank you for the answers!
        However I wanted the ski bindings with brakes. I bought jades for $299 because my offer was accepted. So I was happy until I received my package.
        I asked a guy at skiboards.com and he was saying the spruce riser plate is worse than the direct mounted binding for flex capability and safety reasons and he said that is why they are not using the riser kit. He told me directly mounted bindings are much safer and durable and good for the board flex.
        I am very confused and not sure if I have to keep jades or return them. I think the squeaking sound is from the plastic piece of the adjusting rail under the binding.

How is the spruce riser kit? Adjustable? I have 323mm boots.
        And how is the snowjam boards 90cm or 75cm with spruce riser kits? they are good? They are little cheaper than revel8 or allz.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ibrahimovichoi View Post
          I am very confused and not sure if I have to keep jades or return them.
          Assuming you bought these skiboards in good faith, any defect or unforeseen problem would certainly be a legitimate reason for returning them. Are you saying the brakes are too narrow related to the width of the skiboard? They should clear the width of the board freely without rubbing. It’s possible to modify ill-fitting brakes, but you bought a brand new retail product, not a do-it-yourself kit.

The squeaking issue is impossible to comment on without examining the bindings first hand. Regardless, before you put these in service, the DIN, fit, and forward pressure should be adjusted and checked by a qualified ski binding tech at a pro shop. To do this properly, they will need your boots and some information such as your weight and skill level. This applies to any release binding system. The tech who does this service will let you know if the squeaking is a real problem or not.

Regarding direct vs. riser mount, you might have chosen direct mount for price, weight, appearance or some other reason, and that’s okay, but it’s untrue that they’re safer, more durable or allow more board flex. That’s just sales rationalization, but not necessarily relevant to the question of whether to return the product or not. Bluewing’s comments on Spruce risers and various skiboard options are spot on. Most folks on this forum (including me) strongly prefer the Spruce system, but to be fair, there are riders who get along satisfactorily with direct mount release bindings on those skiboards designed to accept them.

Comment

Not wishing to get into the marketing debate about risers versus direct mount, there are benefits to both systems.

I would just remove the brakes and use leashes. I know it's a new product, but it sounds like one of Doc's Outlet store deals, and is deeply discounted. The price for that set up would be hard to beat anywhere else.

Bill's advice to take the set up to a ski tech is spot on. They can check out the bindings for you when they are adjusted.

I bought Summit Customs with direct mount demo bindings and did take them off. I didn't have trouble with them , I just wanted the versatility of the riser system. Let me tell you, the board would had to have snapped in two for the bindings to come off in regular use. There is a metal plate in the Summit boards and Doc's shop had inserted metal threads into the drill holes. Not to mention the copious amounts of industrial glue on the base of the bindings. Trust me, they are not just screwed on.

There was one member here who reported the heel pulling out of their Summit boards. Unacceptable, but that is the one and only case I have heard of; not really fair to say that it is a problem on these boards. Plus the boards are covered by warranty.

I would keep the boards, take off the brakes, get them checked at the ski shop and trust the warranty.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I am very confused and not sure if I have to keep jades or return them.

How is the spruce riser kit? Adjustable? I have 323mm boots.

And how is the snowjam boards 90cm or 75cm with spruce riser kits? they are good? They are little cheaper than revel8 or allz.
              --Re keeping the boards or returning them - first thing to do is decide if you want to keep them. If so, cool. If not, then find the return policy on the site where you bought them. I checked skiboards.com quickly but could not locate a return policy. If you can't find one you can always give them a call.

--Re the Spruce riser kit being adjustable - it is not adjustable "on-the-fly". The bindings are screwed into the risers. You can move them to accommodate a different boot sole length, but it is not something you want to do very often. If you order a set of the risers the order form will ask you for information regarding boot sole length, weight, skier type, etc. The bindings are then installed on the risers to fit your boot. The bindings work with all "Adult Norm", DIN compatible ski boots with lengths from 272 mm to 360 mm so it will work for boot sole length of 323.

--Re Snowjam boards - I don't own any but I believe they are generally considered competent boards. This site wouldn't sell them if they were not a quality product. Not sure how tall you are, weight, etc and what type of boards you are looking for but I will say that 75cm boards are really short. A good table to help you compare board specifications is at http://www.skiboardsonline.com/BRDS.html

One benefit of buying products on this site is the risk free shopping policy as noted at the bottom of the homepage:

Risk Free Shopping
              Own your new SBOL product for 7 days with no risk! If you don't like it, you can return it to us (un-used) and we will refund you the product purchase price.

Greco, the guy who owns skiboardsonline, provides a high level of customer service and is very responsive. He has a history of working with people to help them select the right boards. He is also very quick to address any questions or customer service/product issues.
              Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Okay.
                I took jades to a ski tech. He was saying that there is 4x4 inserts in the center of the boards which is from manufacturing, but he was not sure about 8 screw inserts are from manufacturing or they just screwed in after by retailer. Basically he was not sure if the release ski binding is mounted on holes where it is supposed to be screwed. He was assuming it is not, because there was glue dried up at all 8 screws in between the boards and the binding rail. He thinks the retailer put holes, but I know skiboards.com is the manufacturer of Summit, so I guess they put bindings where it is supposed to be. But I am not sure about that the glue thing is usually used on screws or not. Does anyone know about that?

And the ski tech at the ski shop was offering me to return the summit because obviously the way the binding is mounted effects the flex and buy Head 94 Salamander from that ski shop at $288. And he said the binding on Head skiboards is mounted properly with the screws in the hole where they supposed to be, and it sounded nice. However he did not know about the riser kit. Can anyone tell me your thoughts about this whole situation again? I feel like I am bugging you guys, but please understand me because it is my first skiboard that I purchased after 3 years of snowboarding. Before I switched to snowboard 3 years ago, I had a lot of fun with rental salomon minimax, and I saw a lot of posts saying salomon snowblades are junk compare to skiboards these days.

And for the brakes, I don't want to take them off, it is one of the reason why I got ski binding for my convenience.

Once again, thank you all people here for those great advice.

Comment

So the way that Summit produces boards is the same as many ski companies. They don't actually make the boards themselves, but rather design them and have them produced by another manufacturer. What is most likely happening is that the boards are made with the inserts for a normal 4x4 binding mount, and then for people who want releasable bindings they screw the third party bindings into those boards.

Ultimately, it is going to come down to what you are comfortable with. The reason that ski tech thought they might not be in the right place simply is because there were 2 sets of holes, 1 that had the inserts in them, and 1 where the bindings had been screwed directly into the board. Those Salamanders aren't very good boards, and it sounds kinda like the tech was just trying to convince you to spend your money at their shop.

As for the glue, it is not uncommon for some people to put a bit of glue on the binding screw just to help secure them a little better. I don't know for sure if Summit does this normally or not, but I suspect someone else on here might know.

In all honesty, if the tech looked at everything and his only concern was if the bindings were in the correct place or not, then you should probably be fine riding them. If there had been some question as to the bindings being bad or how well they were secured to the board, then you would need to worry.

Based on all of that, ultimately the call is yours. If you are comfortable getting on them and skiing down the hill, and are happy with the purchase in general, then go ahead and get out on them and enjoy the boards for a while. If you will always have a little nagging in the back of your mind wondering if you are safe on them, then it will impact your riding and you should return them and purchase a set of boards that you can feel comfortable on.

Either way, eventually you will probably be wanting to upgrade at some point and when you do, I suggest looking into the risers and getting a solid set of boards with a pair of bindings that you will be able to move between boards as time passes.
                  I do it because I can.
                  I can because I want to.
                  I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                  '08 KTPs

Comment

Good idea to take them to a local shop. I will offer an opinion - this is what I would do based on what I understand about your situation:

--If I could I would send the Jades back for a refund.

--I would purchase the Head Salamanders from the local shop and have them set them up for you. I started on these boards last year after 3 years of snowboarding. I was only on skiboards one time before last season and by the end of the year was riding black diamond terrain and select double blacks in my area on the Heads with no problems. I did go a lot - was out on the mountain over 30 times.

--After 1 season you will likely want to upgrade and I would suggest you buy some high quality boards and a Spruce riser from this site. The Heads make good loaner boards or you likely will be able to sell them and get a decent amount of your purchase price back.

Best of luck whichever direction you go. Most important - get out and ride, be safe and have fun.
                    Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Thank you all people here for advice.
                      I am trying to keep jades, I like short ones like them and if I think the binding is not secure enough I would just switch to non-release binding even though I don't really prefer. I saw several video clips of skiboarding and tricks, and I kinda changed mind little bit that non-release might be one another good option..
                      Whichever direction I go, I should go hit the slopes first and feel it. After I get some kind of idea of jades, I should post a review lol.

Thanks.

Comment

Thank you all people here for advice.
                        I am trying to keep jades, I like short ones like them and if I think the binding is not secure enough I would just switch to non-release binding even though I don't really prefer. I saw several video clips of skiboarding and tricks, and I kinda changed mind little bit that non-release might be one another good option..
                        Whichever direction I go, I should go hit the slopes first and feel it. After I get some kind of idea of jades, I should post a review lol.

Thanks.
                        I think that is a good plan. Having gone through all the effort of getting the boards, you might as well at least try them out, and they are under warranty if anything goes wrong.

I just went through the process of taking release bindings off Summits, and it turned into a huge job, mainly because they really are put on well. I probably wouldn't want to do it again, it would be easier just to buy a different board with the 4x4 and start over. with new bindings. If you do want to take the bindings off let me know and I'll let you learn from my mistakes

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                          I just went through the process of taking release bindings off Summits, and it turned into a huge job, mainly because they really are put on well. I probably wouldn't want to do it again, it would be easier just to buy a different board with the 4x4 and start over. with new bindings. If you do want to take the bindings off let me know and I'll let you learn from my mistakes

Good luck.
                          Thank you for your help.

I don't want to make it as a big job so I don't think I want to take the bindings off for now. Instead, I should just switch it to 4x4 inserts bindings if I really can't trust direct mounted ski bindings.
                          But according to your experience, I feel a lot better now about my bindings and Doc told me there is a aluminum plate under the top sheet and that makes retention of the screws and somebody here posted that there is a metal plate inside of the summit boards. That sounds more secure but I checked the fact that I don't get much flex on my boads though, but I'm not at the level of stage about judging how the flex effects my riding yet. So I should go hit the slope and feel for it and if I think I need another boards with another bindings maybe next season I can always upgrade to another boards if I become more advanced in skiboarding.

To Bad Wolf. However, is there any reason that made you to take the release bindings off from summits?

And once again, Thank you for all the people responded to me with all these information. You guys are GREAT people. Reflecting my research on skiboards, you guys are like oasis on the dessert. I couldn't get any of the information before I found this forum because nobody knows about skiboards neither on the web nor locally, including the 2 local ski techs I have talked to.

Thank you so much folks.

Comment

To Bad Wolf. However, is there any reason that made you to take the release bindings off from summits?
                            I got into skiboarding a few seasons ago and had a pair of 5th Element LK Pros. They are more like mini skis than the RVL8 skiboards, so I decided to upgrade in the off season. Back then I didn't really know about the SBOL forum, Spruce Risers and RVL8. Like you, I found a pair of Summits for a great price. They were new 110cm Customs with direct mount demo Tyrolia bindings for $220. That is how much the board alone costs, so I bought them. I also love the bamboo graphic, it's my favorite of any board/brand, next to the Jades you have.

The demo style bindings are adjustable to any boot and you can change the ride position, but I wasn't too keen on the "rental shop" look to them. I then found the SBOL forum and started to learn about the versatility of having multiple boards and Spruce Risers. I also saw the thread about the heel binding pulling out of a Summit board and started to research my options. I do think that Risers and Direct Mount are both valid options and have their place in the industry., it just depends on individual style and need.

The wife has been on non release Fischer Web XXLs for several years and she wanted a pair of Revolt Trees, so it seemed to make sense that we should both own a set of Risers/bindings and convert all our boards to 4x4. I was also bored in the off season and needed a ski project. I still have the old demo bindings and will probably put them on the Fischers to make them a versatile back up or loaner pair. They currently have non release bindings.

Now I'm just waiting for Slow to put his semi release binding into production......

Comment

Oh I see..
                              I'm new to buying a right skiboards, and I think I followed your experience in the past.
                              So, I will get some idea when I really go out on the mountain for several times.
                              And then I can make a decision of what will be the best for me to get. That is why I decided to stick with my first skiboards.
                              Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Btw, I read a post about semi-release binding too and it seemed cool. Tight when needed with non-release that releases when needed according to his explanation. Hope the binding technology continues for fun, secure, and safe riding.

Comment

Working...
                              X