skiboard vs snow blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skiboard vs snow blade

Okay im a flatland ice skier - iceboarder from Il. 95% of the snow I board-ski on is man made. I am also an avid aggressive inline skater. With that info now Known id love to no the difference in skiboards to snow blades? My understanding is that skiboards are more compared to snowboards as far as getting up on edge and more for powder. Where as ski blades are more compared to inline skating and more for the groomers. Is this true? I want the closest feeling to inline as I can get with all the quality. I also know all about wood core vs foam core, 8 hole bindings vs 4 hole bindings. I would like some advice from someone close to my specs that has tried both. Remember I dont get to ski pow....im a groomer guy.
    "If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand...lead him to a quiet place...and kill him." Mark Twain

These threads should answer this question and quite a few others you may have.

Skiboarding FAQ
    What's Wrong with Salomon Snowblades
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

Fish -- the threads that Ska points out will answer most of your questions and are where I started when I was looking for answers. To get right to the point there are skiboards suited for pow, park, and cruising man made snow groomers. So I wouldn't say that skiboarding is targeted to one type of conditions over the other. Generally skiboards, particularly the ones from SBOL, will be of better quality than what you'll find being sold elsewhere as "blades". I say generally because there are exceptions to everything. And, in my opinion, these higher quality skiboards will give you a closer feeling to inline skating.

The one key truth of skiboarding is that it's all about freedom and doing what works for you. There a guys like me that love their Spruce longboards, others that prefer shorter and fatter, and still others that are cruising on "blades". The only way to figure out what works for you is to try some different skiboards and see what you like.

For the record I am East coast skiboarder, with inline and ice hockey roots. I rarely see pow and deal with a lot of ice. My skiboard of choice is the Spruce 120s for cruising icy groomers out here. I started on a pair of 98cm blades which I still use for messing around in the terrain park with my kids.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Fish View Post
        My understanding is that skiboards are more compared to snowboards as far as getting up on edge and more for powder. Where as ski blades are more compared to inline skating and more for the groomers. Is this true?

I want the closest feeling to inline as I can get with all the quality. I also know all about wood core vs foam core, 8 hole bindings vs 4 hole bindings. I would like some advice from someone close to my specs that has tried both. Remember I dont get to ski pow....im a groomer guy.

skiboards come in all lengths and widths, most are terrible for powder. Most skiboards are meant for groomers and generally the shorter you go the more like inline its going to feel.

You use the term skiblades. Most people don't consider that a real term. They usually group all the junk under the name snowblade, and all the good stuff under the term skiboard. Is that what you mean?

Anyway skiboards handle better in basically all situations including yours they turn better handle speed better and are just as manuverable.
        www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
        DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
        Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
        GGO soft boot bindings
        Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

What about snollerblades?
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Thanks

Many thanks Guys. Thats all I needed to hear to give me that little push in the direction I pretty much already new I was going...Revel8
            "If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand...lead him to a quiet place...and kill him." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X