Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, let me start with this: great video, I loved it. It really is great to see videos that highlight more than just the riding aspect of skiboarding. From what I've observed skiboarders live and breath the sport. So to see a video that shows skiboarders living, partying, and having fun with eachother off the mountain is just pretty cool. Now let me get into some criticism. I have to semi-agree with Dave Lynam. This series is about skiboarding, and should honestly show some more skiboarding. However, my disagreement with Dave Lynam is that he implied Dave Bloom is making the videos about himself. They're HIS videos, and supposed to be a peak into the life of a skiboarder. He's the one making these things, so obviously he will be centering them around his life (along with Matt Hein and anyone else he has featured in the video) in the world of skiboarding. The final thing I'm going to critique is that we didn't get to see those clips we were told can't be shown in that corny little message. Unedited versions of these things would be sick, but I guess you'd have to keep them private and send them to certain people since they can't be shown publicly.
    I Ski 4 Smitty.

Comment

I am demanding overall - riding AND all around what is going on in life, and around skiboarding - videos! ...

The same thing is in inline movies, some of them are riding ONLY, and some are more than that. I have seen crazy shit thing happening " behind the scenes" and sometimes very intelligent humor is there to watch. So i can then think about, what i would like to see in skiboarding videos...

me - myself - i am usually looking for videos, where there is riding (50-70%) and all other things (20-50%), editing is the case, too slow beginning is bad, but if it is thought to be as artistic, then ok, but, more or less i like fast changes, from waking up straight to slopes, then back to bar, and some bullshit laughing - that the coolness - easy flow of scenes, which can be done correctly like:

Give fast push in beginning, then give some nice riding, some funny things, then, for little bit small relx in video.. flow ...give some romantic/artistic thing for us to see, then BOOM.>!!!!! - wake up - super great tricks (remember to keep some of best tricks and fun for the last minutes, but use also some of best in between scenes).. but this all is individual stuff - im just saying i wish it to be, ..
      like - if you keep my eyes too long on tricks, and ONLY tricks, its not fun for me, or, too long time taken away talking or showing some weird shit, thats bad too, so, mix it all up, giving away best things, put some easy watchable things too, and.. dont make too big mess, in the same time, dont make it look like too much polished

.. in last few years i like simple things, some 3...5 years ago i was more into effects and tiny bit editing shit, but now i like it goin easy - easy to watch, easy to cut and easy to shoot vids.

FUN + RIDING + all other things you can FILM and show to us = GREAT!
      Keep it all UP!!

cheers

Comment

I really enjoyed the barrel roll trick. Looks really fun.

I wanted to write and highlight the trick ate 10:12. It's a crossgrab fastslide. Not only do I not recall ever seeing it done on skiboards before, it's a trick I think can look awesome and a trick that I think won't look good if (and to me, a big if) done on skis.

My respect goes out to any rider that finds a trick/line/aspect of riding that looks good and is best suited to our sport. I'd love to see this concept help skiboarding develop in the future.

www.sfc-usa.com

Comment

I just wanted to say I do love the series, and I think it'll get much better when we get together after Xmas

-B
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Branden View Post
            I just wanted to say I do love the series, and I think it'll get much better when we get together after Xmas

-B
            ^^ this..

Riding on the tour is gonna get great great footy.
            RVL8
            \______^=======^______/
            www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

Originally posted by TalonSei92 View Post
              Riding on the tour is gonna get great great footy.
              so mad that I won't be making most of them..

about the video, I like how Bloom puts more than just tricks and ridings. I think it truly reflects the skiboards community. It's all about fun.
              More of non-park ridings such as hard carving would be nice as well. (There are good number of people who don't ride park)
              Great mountain views would be sick too.

Great job Bloom! proud of you
              2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

Originally posted by millet View Post
                I really enjoyed the barrel roll trick. Looks really fun.

I wanted to write and highlight the trick ate 10:12. It's a crossgrab fastslide. Not only do I not recall ever seeing it done on skiboards before, it's a trick I think can look awesome and a trick that I think won't look good if (and to me, a big if) done on skis.

My respect goes out to any rider that finds a trick/line/aspect of riding that looks good and is best suited to our sport. I'd love to see this concept help skiboarding develop in the future.
                agreed! true skating trick, love how it looked on skiboards!!

cool episode, hopefully after the tour there will be a lot more footage of skiboarding.

watching park is prolly the best but i too would love to see a little of everything, carving, flying straight, some glades, some drops...im sure a lot of that will be captured on tour

good job dave!!! its coming along nicely

Comment

I really liked watching this and I'm interested in buying the Dave Lynam Parrot for my bedroom...Hilarious.

Bloom is doing something that no one else in the community is doing right now and I think he needs to have free rein in making this video series how he sees fit! It is nice watching a video with a little different style and not everyone "forcing some afterbang" and trying to emulate every ski movie/edit they have seen on newschoolers for the past two months. Inline influenced grinds are money!

I'd personally like to see maybe a 60/40 riding/other split....but it all depends on which edit it is and the mood. Of course you need to show drinking on the biggest drinking day of the year...but a little more riding please! Represent Revel8 as it is....the best, coolest brand in the entire world!!!! Skiboarding is different from skiing and I'd like to see this video series focus a little more on that as well.

Comment

^ THIS.

It's awesome that this series is totally unique to skiboarding. It doesn't emulate Newschoolers style with forced afterbang and the same old hip hop/ dubstep soundtrack. I really dig the fact that Dave is going in a sort of documentary direction with a lot of lifestyle shots, but I do have to say that some of the shots seemed pretty superfluous. I personally think the episode could have benefited from being one or two minutes shorter. But regardless of my personal criticism, I can't deny that Dave is doing a whole lot for the sport, with a new perspective on both riding and filming. So keep up the good work Bloom!

All in all both episodes have got me super stoked to ride with everyone the week after christmas. I think it's safe to say that the Tour episode is going to be out of control!
                    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -WM

"I'M THE BEST SNOWLERBLADER ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!"

Comment

I love a nice mix but with mostly riding. so, i agree with the rest. As long as we're represented well, which I think Bloom knows how.

I'd love to see some all mountain riding. Maybe I can send you my footage as I get some this season. I do love the park stuff, though. It's always exciting.
                      ~harry

@HarrySiii
                      -Skier turned snowboarder turned skiboarder
                      -RVL8 2010 KTP, RVL8 Receptors
                      -RVL8 EMP, Line FF Pro
                      -Deeluxe 225 (FINALLY a boot I can wear!)

Comment

Just watched episode 2. sure, I'd love to see skiboarding in there, but due to the fact they had no new footage, I applaud Bloom for still taking the time and putting something together. It is, after all, a webisode and not a movie.
                        ~harry

@HarrySiii
                        -Skier turned snowboarder turned skiboarder
                        -RVL8 2010 KTP, RVL8 Receptors
                        -RVL8 EMP, Line FF Pro
                        -Deeluxe 225 (FINALLY a boot I can wear!)

Comment

Like Harry said, this is a webisode not a movie so I don't want to be too critical but here's some of things I'd like to see or would liked to have seen.

Ep 1:
                          - I think there were too many trick shots unveiled in the beginning. I would have liked to have seen more of a progression to get to those shots.

- Along the progression thing, I think it would have been cool, since you mention Liberty being about everyone pushing each other and getting better, to have shown some of the wipe outs before we saw everyone nailing those insane tricks. It would have helped to build up the tricks to make them really stand out. You almost have to show the viewer what an awesome technical trick is otherwise they just kind of blend together, at least for me. I know you guys obviously know and some other higher level riders know what a killer trick is or what makes one more technical than another but a lot us don't. We're not around high level athletes like yourself all the time.

- I think to inject some more excitement it would be good to step back and layout the episode. So you'll have your main theme or objective with the episode, then break it down a bit more and try to identify separate scenes. If you can get down to opening up a scene and then having a conclusion of each scene it will flow better and have more direction. I guess something a little short of a storyboard is what I'm getting at.

- It would have been cool to have some rider introductions on the first episode. A couple of quick interviews or something to highlight each rider and their skills a bit better. It would make the viewer feel closer and allow us to really be introduced to each rider.

- Maybe some rider commentary (hope I don't sound pretentious, just throwing things out of my head quickly here)

- A couple of the tricks seemed to be repeated, which doesn't make them seem quite as special.

- I think highlighting and building these awesome tricks up a bit more would be really cool. They kinda just seemed to come out all at once in and didn't really seem as exciting as they could have been.

Ep 2.:
                          - Almost 9 min until skiboarding. I know this episode was early in the season, even pre-season, but 9 min of somewhat random shots was a bit much.
                          - More scenery, or intros to the places you were going would have been cool. Even some more landscape shots like someone else mentioned.
                          - It felt like a little too much just like a camera was turned on and never shut off. More direction and layout of the episodes would really help I think. Really breaking it up into scenes so everything doesn't just melt together into something that feels like their isn't a point or theme.

All in all I want to stress that this is awesome that someone is producing videos for the community like this. I hope again, I'm not sounding like a film critic, just wanted to share my perspective since G asked for it.
                          08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

video is great i was there that day not much footy came from the baby sized rails with the giant holes behind them branden was killing it despite but anyways i think there video came out great considering... keep it up.
                            Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

Todays footage was awesome! Matt congrats on your new trick! super stoked. I won't spoil anything until the videos come out!

-B
                              sigpic

Comment

i would like to place my order for the official revel8 shot glass holder.

Comment

Working...
                                X