Style Poll: Knee Grabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
    Andrew, I'm pretty set on feeling that skiboarding in really gaped out gear when riding freestyle anywhere is completely bad, haha. You know I can't change how I feel about that. Style is everything, which is why I agree completely with Paul's exact words.
    Fair enough, and to each their own. Honestly, the only problem I have with it is that generally the people in the gaped out gear aren't that great, which leads to the social stigma of riding these short planks. If I saw someone in sweatpants and a neon jacket from the 80's throwing dubs, I would have nothing but respect for the guy. But to each their own.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
      Fair enough, and to each their own. Honestly, the only problem I have with it is that generally the people in the gaped out gear aren't that great, which leads to the social stigma of riding these short planks. If I saw someone in sweatpants and a neon jacket from the 80's throwing dubs, I would have nothing but respect for the guy. But to each their own.
      Hey, if you're riding salomon snowblades, rockin jeans and a Dallas Cowboys jacket, tossing knee grab straight airs off every jump, and having the time of your life, I'll have nothing but respect for you. As long as you're not getting in anyones way.

On the other hand, don't be trying to claim tricks or use shots with knee grabs. Not saying all my tricks have the cleanest grabs, but at the same time i know I'm not the best jump skier and I don't claim to be. Actually to tell you the truth no grab at all is probably more stylish than a knee grab on most tricks. I'm actually a really big fan of shifties and pokes (on long skis).
      "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -WM

"I'M THE BEST SNOWLERBLADER ON THE MOUNTAIN!!!"

Comment

I think shifties look gnar on everything; skis, skiboards, snowboards, bikers, skates, skateboards, and even scooters. It's just a gnarly float trip that oozes with style.. when done correctly, haha. It also is something personalized with one's own style. There are spins out there with no grabs that can look good; screaming semens (I'm not a huge fan personally, but I can appreciate the technical aspect and respect that many people do enjoy them), abstracts (a skate style air), shifty spins, and really just the way a body is torqued in general. It is much easier to learn a trick by tucking your knees and torquing your body with a spin or flip than it is doing a knee grab. You get style points and ease of learning.
        I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Plorr View Post
          Hey, if you're riding salomon snowblades, rockin jeans and a Dallas Cowboys jacket, tossing knee grab straight airs off every jump, and having the time of your life, I'll have nothing but respect for you.
          If you're wearing a Dallas Cowboys jacket, I have nothing but respect for you
          I Ski 4 Smitty.

Comment

Might I add that a knee grab dub or 7,9,or whatever still looks better then a super stylie 360 just like any other sport Tricks should be judged on both style and technicality
            Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

I can't say I agree with that 100%. Yes, 7s are absolutely more difficult than a stylish 3. But, you can tell when something is hucked and it really takes away from it. I absolutely agree that both style AND technicality should be apart of the judgment, but if something isn't clean it shouldn't really be used for footage, you know? On the mountain I would never take away from a 7 with a missed grab, but would you want to see it in a film? For all intents and purposes anything can exist on the mountain, but for display to the world in media format everything should be nailed to a T or as close as possible. But, it's all in our opinions because each viewer looks at something differently. We know the technical aspect while the average viewer knows only bigger is better. Isn't that why our skiboards themselves get judged harshly or jokingly by the average onlooker?
              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Working...
              X