Skiboard Crampons with Retrofit Tour Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboard Crampons with Retrofit Tour Binding

edited 11/3/2020 This post shows telemark cables attached to the front bale of various non release skiboard bindings . After much testing , I do not recommend this method of attachment as the front bale can snap off the boot , especially on climbing traverses. The no longer available BTK binding was a solution to this problem by reversing the boot and attaching the boot under the rear bale with the telemark cables attached to the rear bale for climbing and then reversing and attaching the front of the boot to the front lever bale as usual. The stock Zero binding which is no longer available also allows this. The current receptor binding does not have a wide enough rear bale to allow this kind of attachment
    edited 12/28/2020. I have come up with a way to prevent the Front lever from snapping open using a long voile strap to allow the Receptor binding to be used for touring with the telemark cables attached to the Front bale . See link below
    https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...ing#post262924

One of the most useful tools in ski mountaineering are ski crampons . Skiers ascending difficulty steep icy slopes use them as do Splitboard snowboarders.
    Here is a some information on these very useful tools that have saved my bacon many a time .

http://www.alpineskills.com/techtip_skicrampons.html

I am very excited about the retrofit touring option for skiboards. and have now worked out crampon attachment options for Zero bindings, Bomber Bindings , and for Line FF pro bindings. Let me give you a tour .

On Zero , Bomber, or Phiokka bindings that have extra insert holes for varying set backs , these holes can be put to good use by putting a machine screw upside down from the bottom up with the screw end sticking up out of the hole , a nut is used on the binding side to keep the screw up against the bottom of the binding and sticking out of the hole .. This screw is left in the binding all the time and does not get in the way for regular skiboarding .

Here is the Bomber binding with a machine screw up out of one of the unused insert holes
    IMG_0903 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

A ski crampon with a hole drilled to match the insert hole is placed over the screw and tightened down using a wingnut .
    IMG_0906 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Easy on and easy off as needed in the field .

On the Line FF pro , there are already machine screw holes unused in the center of the binding, originally used for attaching a grind plate . .
    IMG_0909 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

An appropriate width ski crampon is purchased .
    A hole is drilled to match the grind plate hole and the crampon is placed over the hole .
    IMG_0910 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

A M6 machine screw is used to tighten the crampon down , again easy on and easy off in the field .

IMG_0911 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Here is crampon equipped , touring binding equipped Bomber ready for climbing
    IMG_0907 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Here is the Line FF pro crampon equipped touring skiboard ready for action as well .
    IMG_0912 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Where to buy the Touring Gear

Voile telemark cables
    ( need to buy two of these )
    http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=0

B and D Superfat crampons .. the 120 version can be bent a bit to fit the KTP , see pics above and I plan to get the 135 version and bend it a bit for the Condor , the one I am using on the Condor is discontinued Rossi Freeventure skiboard crampon .
    http://www.bndskigear.com/fatcrampons.html

Climbing skins . cheapest source is Climbing skins direct
    https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

thats cool as hell. You know I love the back country and in the spring when it melts and freezes every day those would be very usefull. I used to have a pair of crampons that actually fit my line transfer boot. I used them on tucks in the late 90s. nice job man
      live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

So, one screw per board is enough to hold the crampon securely for climbing? I would think that it would act like a pivot point for the plate to flex on, but then again I've never used crampons, so I don't know how stiff they are.
        RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
          So, one screw per board is enough to hold the crampon securely for climbing? I would think that it would act like a pivot point for the plate to flex on, but then again I've never used crampons, so I don't know how stiff they are.
          If the crampons fit tight around the boards then they do not pivot much ,the board edge blocks the pivoting , but two screws will be better like you say , Crazy boy .. ( I hand drilled the holes and it is very tiring work .. so I stopped at one !) , Bill Bollinger at B and D ski gear will add custom holes 2cm to either side of mid line to hold two screws. for 5 dollars additional on his 135 cm superfat crampons .. I have ordered a pair with two holes to fit the Condor and will post a picture when I get them ... since all skiboard bindings with extra holes have them set in a standard 4x4 pattern , the crampons will be interchangeable whether I use the Bomber or the Line FF pros . another reason the 4x4 insert standard is so cool !
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

I see. Thanks for the clarification, Jack.
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
              Just got the new crampons I ordered from B and D ski gear , super product! went with a two screw solution like Crazyboy mentioned.. and Bill Bollinger also suggested.

Bill Bollinger at B and D ski gear is a great backcountry innovator and has a variety of great products .. He has produced a superwide ski crampon that is a perfect fit for the waist of the Condor .. although it is listed at 135mm Bill builds his crampon with a about a 3mm tolerance , so that his 135mm crampon will actually fit a bit larger waist .. it fits the 137 waist of the Condor perfectly .. Bill drilled a couple of extra holes at 2cm from center line for me , that line up perfectly with two machine screws that attached through unused insert holes on the Condor binding , couple of wingnuts and a truly "bomber" crampon setup for the Bomber binding !

IMG_0932 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

Here is a side view to show nice crampon depth even though the crampon is mounted on top of the Bomber binding riser...

IMG_0933 by Jack Jue Jr, on Flickr

I am just amazed at how well skiboard bindings mate with backcountry gear to create a turnkey , fully functional backcountry binding ..
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

I get all excited about this kind of stuff , because it allows you to get uphill efficiently (then the good part comes -going down !) ... here is a video comparing climbers hiking on boot crampons going up mount baker with a pair of skiers with skins and ski crampons going up the same hill . , with skins alone, in spring icy snow , your boards would be slipping , skiboard crampons and a touring binding will allow you to ascend straight up faster then folks hiking up , without having to carry your skiboards on your back and not sinking into the crusty , icy snow as much as with just boots.

Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                X