X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sempai View Post
    What resort were you at?
    Alpine Meadows... there was no continuous descent from the top , a number of sections of dirt connecting the snow and big plowed out access roads right in the middle of the slope , lots of hiking carrying stuff ... pretty much the end of the hiking for turns season for sure around here ! I got an early start at 600am and finished at 930am .
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Jack, I assume that with a crampon the closer it is to being directly underfoot the better?

How would it work if we took a Missouri riser and milled out a notch in the bottom front, just the thickness of "Mr. Chomps" (who comes up with these names?) plus a little for easy clearance? The notch in the riser would "capture" the rear of the crampon, letting it go farther back and offering another support point. The bonus-insert hold down screws could the be spotted in a more forward position. What do you think? Milling that notch would be super-easy to do.

The only reason the riser is radiused on both ends is to spread out the pressure on the skiboard at that point, it's probably only an issue for landings and high-stress applications that don't apply to most of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Jack, I assume that with a crampon the closer it is to being directly underfoot the better?

How would it work if we took a Missouri riser and milled out a notch in the bottom front, just the thickness of "Mr. Chomps" (who comes up with these names?) plus a little for easy clearance? The notch in the riser would "capture" the rear of the crampon, letting it go farther back and offering another support point. The bonus-insert hold down screws could the be spotted in a more forward position. What do you think? Milling that notch would be super-easy to do.

The only reason the riser is radiused on both ends is to spread out the pressure on the skiboard at that point, it's probably only an issue for landings and high-stress applications that don't apply to most of us.
        Bill ,I found no difference with the crampon location in front of where I usually have it ... I don't think changing the riser is necessary . The problem with after market crampons is that it is a pain to drill them for other hole locations . The only openings on the Mr. Chomps crampon that allow me to use the unused insert holes on the Rockered Condors are the semicircular holes at the rear of the crampon , those fit perfectly and worked great... If Greco continues to supply Rockered Condors with the unused inserts in the future and Mr. Chomps crampons stay with the current cut outs we are good to go with no after market tinkering at all which is fantastic. !
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

very intrigued by this thread...seriously considering adding some climbing skins and mr. chomps crampons to my RC softboot setup. that would add a whole new dimension to my late season trips next year.
          2019 BluntXLs
          540 Team Stark bindings with RVL8 softboot upgrade

Comment

Backcountry - State of the Union 2017

I've been trolling the backcountry threads - lots of mentions of equipment no longer manufactured.

This thread is the most-up-to-date -- I've done a bunch of mini backcountry stuff, but nothing involving long sustained climbing. So my question (perhaps should be moved to a new thread) is What's the state of the art for 2017? Boot / binding / board?

Comment

Originally posted by joni View Post
              I've been trolling the backcountry threads - lots of mentions of equipment no longer manufactured.

This thread is the most-up-to-date -- I've done a bunch of mini backcountry stuff, but nothing involving long sustained climbing. So my question (perhaps should be moved to a new thread) is What's the state of the art for 2017? Boot / binding / board?
              Hi Joni , welcome to the forum , yes , you are correct : for skiboards proper (110cm and below ) , I feel that state of the art is the Rockered Condor out fitted with the SBOL modified snowboard binding , snowboard boots , climbing skins to fit the Rockered condors
              and Mister Chomps crampons as I have discussed in this thread , this is a great set up and really unique .
              Here is another thread with pics of me climbing and riding with this set up ...
              https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16373

For the longboards there is a nice Spruce backcountry set up , pared with the Spruce Sherpa that I recommend
              With these you can use regular downhill ski boots .
              here is some information
              https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16094
              https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=15406
              let me know if you have other questions !
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Touring with a AMGA guide

Dear Backcountry skiboard enthusiasts (and Jack in particular),

I took the AIARE 1 (backcountry avalanche essentials, called AST 1 in Canada) Dec 27 - 30 and was forced to rent regular skis in order to be allowed into the course. The guides said that they didn't have skins short enough for them (min length skins are adjustable to a minimum length of 153cm) - but so I suggested that I snowshoe through the touring bits - but they said I'd be too slow to keep up with the group.

Moreover, the same AMGA guide does backcountry helliski and snow-cat tour (no requirement to skin, as you get picked up at the bottom) and when I inquired about joining them they said they'd lend me powder skis because the skiboards I wouldn't get enough float or wait till spring when the snowpack gets less fluffy.

On my current setup (Blunt XL, spruce sport w/ release bindings, regular downhill boot) I have to lean back in really deep powder. But - I do just fine. I am definitely slower than the skiers in wide open terrain, but quicker (than resort skiers) in narrow chutes and glades.

One question for Jack - the youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcef...ature=youtu.be on your channel shows you skinning up shallow packed snow. How do these perform in really deep powder - hard to get up if you fall waist deep powder?

JON
                Last edited by joni; 01-02-2017, 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Hi Jon, nice to hear you getting into the backcountry , the more surface area your boards have the easier it will be to break trail uphill in very deep snow ... big pow skis will certainly break trail up hill easier then smaller surface area skiboards ... the denser the snow ( ie the wetter the snow ) the easier it will be to climb with smaller surface area skiboards as the wetter snow will compact easier without sinking as much as in deeper fluffy light powder , if you follow other skiers who are breaking trail , you will have no problem climbing with skiboards as those in front will compress the snow and pack down the snow and make a trail , if you are with a group of skiboarders or folks with shorter skis , you just switch off breaking trail ,
                  in terms of downhill , skiboards do fine as long as the slopes are steep enough to get going , as the slopes get lower angle and the snow gets lighter and more fluffy , skiboards will tend to slow down more then skis with more surface area ,
                  falling in deep snow is a bear no matter what kind of gear you have , but no big issue with skiboards vs skis , the snow just compresses down underneath you no matter what kind of skis you have ...
                  in terms of the rvl 8 skiboards the rockered condor floats better and breaks trail better then the Blunt xl , but the blunt xl is certainly great fun and very competent as well ,
                  most backcountry guides and training programs have no experience with folks on modern wide bodied skiboards and do not know really how competent they can be , and will tend to push you into the long ski route ...
                  hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions ....
                  Happy trails !
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

I recently came across this new product "Skeats- strap on mini crampons".
                    http://www.skincleats.com/#simplified-ski-crampons

I think these will work great with the RVL8 softboot binding and skins to give better traction for icy climbs and obviate the need for drilling boards for crampon receivers . Unlike standard ski crampons these do not work for steep icy traverses but work better for going straight up the hill like snowshoes do . I think these will work fantastic in front of the soft boot binding on Blunt Xl or Blunts or any other skiboard paired with standard climbing skins . I have ordered two different types , the new 2020 fin type and the prevoius cleat type and will test them with my soft boot backcountry rig and report back .

Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                    X