Lassen Trip Today - Pics and Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lassen Trip Today - Pics and Video

Just back from our end of the season trip to Lassen National Park , this Memorial Day weekend (5/25/2013)
    It has been a very low snow year , but 3 1/2 hours north of Sacramento it is still snowy . Today the road to the summit parking lot opened and we were there !
    Billy and Rich on the climb up ....

We are heading up to the summit of Lassen Peak and will ski the big bowl in front of us .. .To you some perspective of how big this bowl is ,you can see some specks in the bowl those are climbers going up !

Three quarters of the way up we hike over dry ground the final portion of the ascent ...
    Here are Rich and I getting ready to switch over to hiking mode

View out west from the trail ...

Up on the dry trail to the summit ...

Billy and Rich climb up the last bit of rock to the true summit marked by the old Radio repeater reflector ..
    I decide to take a rest and forego the last bit of climb over rock having done it before...

Here is our trio of happy guys at Lassen Peak Summit ready to make our last turns of the season ....

I made a little video of our trip and our descent which I will post soon as soon as I finish editing it......
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

video

Here is the video
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Great pics and vid but you're killing me! While it is a beautiful Memorial day weekend in my small corner of the world it is way too warm to skiboard and a little too cold to swim or surf. I am stuck in between seasons waiting for the waves and longing for the snow.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics and video Jack. Good to see that you were able to get out this late in the season. BTW: The snow looked firmer than I would have expected.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Sweet. Nice shots showing good technique on what looks like steep terrain with late season snow. Thanks as always for sharing.
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
            ......BTW: The snow looked firmer than I would have expected.
            Summer and late spring ski ascents and descents of big mountains is all about being at the summit at the right time so that snow conditions on the descent are safe.... Too early and the snow is too firm and too late and the snow is too soft, What time you need to be at the summit really depends on which aspect of the mountain you are descending ... for example on Lassen the route we chose for this trip is the Southeast facing slope which gets a lot of sun and softens quickly ... overnight ,these high mountain slopes freeze and become very firm and then soften quickly in the morning sun... from experience we have found that on Lassen we need to be there before noon ... this requires a before dawn "Alpine Start" from sacramento , leaving at 400am... we arrive at the Lassen trailhead about 730am ... gear up and then start to ascend the mountain at around 800am . the ascent takes around 3 hours .. arriving at the summit around 1100am , gives us enough time to rest up and explore the summit a bit before dropping the snow at the right time when it has softened but is not too soft and bottomless..... The northeast slope which is less exposed to the sun can be descended later....
            Here is a picture looking up toward the Summit and Billy getting ready for his descent that gives you a better idea of what the snow was like ... unlike a ski area groomed slope the snow can be very different in consistency from turn to turn and from top to bottom and does require a bit more care skiing to avoid face plants....

Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
              .... looks like steep terrain.....
              The Southeast descent on Lassen which we did this trip is steep like Black diamond ski area steep but is considered the "moderate and easy " descent of Lassen .... Here is view looking downhill with my buddies below me that gives some idea of the slope angle of the big south east bowl ....

The Northeast slope which I did a number of years ago .. is significantly steeper ,it also involves a long hike out to the road and involves a long car shuttle , on that trip I used Hagan 130's which Billy and Rich are on this trip while I am on my favorite Rockered Condors this time around .... The Northeast slope is directly behind me and we descend just to the right of the highest point on the mountain on the far left of the picture behind me ...

Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Euro Trip

Billy says this Lassen trip is a very Euro style off piste trip .... we arise very early in the morning , we are up and ski off the summit early and are back at the village and the cafe drinking beer in the early afternoon !
                Rich treated us all to a round of Spaten beers at the nice Park Service Vistor center which is down mountain a short drive from the Summit parking lot .... after the round of beers it was time for a bit of a snooze ...
                ps. Rich makes his own beer and is a bit of a beer gourmand and he was happy that the park service stocked Spaten , we each had a different type of Spaten beer... very nice !

There is a nice view of the lower slopes of Lassen park from the visitor center patio .....

Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

From the visitor center, it does not look like it would be worth the hike up for a few runs.
                  sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                    From the visitor center, it does not look like it would be worth the hike up for a few runs.
                    yes , the highest peak and the peak for which the park is named -Lassen Peak , is not visible from the Visitor Center only the surrounding lower peaks... the road to Lassen Peak winds up and to the right of the picture and Lassen Peak is out of sight and up and to the far right of the picture.
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                    X