Touring Modificatons for Hardboot bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touring Modificatons for Hardboot bindings

I have got a number of PM's recently about how to use non release hardboot skiboard bindings for touring .
    Two bindings which can be used for touring without modification by just buying a pair of telemark cables are the Zero binding and the Line FF pros . The characteristics of the binding which allow them to do double duty as touring bindings are the wide heel bale and the fully rotating front clip lever . The Receptor binding is an excellent binding but cannot be used for touring without a special after market kit which is no longer available. (BTK touring kit ) . The Receptor binding has a narrower heel bale then the other two bindngs and it's front clip does not rotate all the way around . Bomber bindings also cannot be used becaus their heel bale is also too narrow.
    The principle involves reversing the boot in the binding putting the toe in the heel bale with telemark cables attached to allow a free heel and using the toe clip as a heel lever for the climb up and then stepping out the binding removing the telemark cables and reverse your position in the binding , locking in normally for the way down .
    Here is a link to how I use the Zero binding as a touring binding . I have used the Line FF pros in a similar way.
    All you need to buy are skins and telemark cables , no machining is required.
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ead.php?t=9809

I do highly recommend also buying a set of ski crampons and setting up a ski crampon attachment which is very easy to do . Again without any machining . Information on how to do this is in the link below
    Ps. this thread has pictures of my original way of putting the telemark cables on the front toe bail rather then the heel bale . DO NOT DO THIS . You can torque your boot out of the binding and cause sudden pop off and release of the toe clip on climbing causing you to fall . The telemark cables must be put on the heel bale and the boot reversed in the binding with the toe going into the heel bale for security on the climb up . This makes the Bomber and Receptor bindingsnot work because their heel bale is not wide enough to act as a toe bale .

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ead.php?t=8811
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Telemark cable size for Zero touring binding

The proper telemark cable size for use with the Zero binding depends on the sole size of your ski boot .. and may not be the same as the boot sole size recommendation on the Voile web site as the cables are intended for use with a telemark binding that has a different attachment point with respect to the ski boot . Slow posted his recommendations as to selection of the proper telemark cable size .
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=10075
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
    X