Big Mountain Riders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Mountain Riders?

K i just got back from mammoth hiked for hours. My preffered terrain is deep powder, and double blacks, alot of cliffs (15-30ft) natural jumps in trees and stuff. I like going off trail with long runs and untouched stuff. I dont know if theres a place for big mountain riders in skiboarding but im sure there has to be some other people like me with the same passion. But as all of you the place where i can showoff and stuff is the park, but mostly jumps LOL

ill; post pics as soon as i resize them
    Last edited by akira523; 02-02-2006, 09:16 PM.
    Revel8 ALP 110cm 06-07
    Bomber Elite Bindings
    Tecnica Vento 8 Ultra fit 06-07
    Revel8 Gear bag
    Anon Figment Rasta Goggles
    Leedom Scream Helmet (Alpine)

Powder kicks ass... to bad I live on the east coast.

Comment

Powder what's that??
      SBOL Team III Member
      Icelantic Scout 143cm / Marker Bindings
      K2 Public Enemy 179cm / Marker Bindings

Comment

You want powder? Head straight for Salt Lake City, within one hour of the airport you have four resorts that get over 500 inches of dry powder every year. I think big cottonwood canyon has better tree skiing than little cottonwood canyon. Brighton has a pretty good park but I mostly stick to the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by phillycore
          Powder what's that??
          The stuff your Icelantics excel at best..

Comment

i love off piste stuff, cant do cliffs much bigger than 5 ft yet...mostly because of this shit winter, ive only been three days and havent improved my backcountry/big mountain riding much

im crap in the park though, just cant seem to get the hang of it yet, from all those years skiing i guess. So flying down blacks is my love for now
            1999 Groove Retro 82cm

Days This Season - 9

Comment

I've done powder in previous years, going to Vail, Park City, Whistler/Blackcomb, Chamonix, Las Lenas, etc... During those times, I was using my MNPs and always faceplanted.

This year, I went to Vail with my Spruce 120s and Summit 110s and they totally kicked ass in the powder. We had one day of horizontal snowfall on the backside. No one was around, the lifts were running, but very few on them. Visibility was around 10-15ft max. Strapped it and bombed down. Fresh tracks galore! Pure heaven. Did one major faceplant this time, but that was because I tried to muscle through a patch of powder that went past my chest.

I'm heading up to Maine to Sugarloaf on Sunday for the week, then will be heading out to Salt Lake City towards the end of March to hit Park City, Brighton, Alta and Snowbird.
              Edward in NYC

Comment

Yeah I think big mountain is the way forward for me Just got back from 2weeks in Banff- had a quite a few nice powder days.
                Although, had a disaster with my skiboards- I hadn't pre-booked ski carriage on the plane 'cos I was gonna take them in my suitcase but then found out the night before I left, that they wouldn't fit
                Had to leave them at home and just rented normal ski's for the two weeks. The upside though, was that for the powder days I rented Rossi B3's (fat powder ski's) and I did some stuff on them that I don't reckon I could have with skiboards.
                If you're wondering what I mean, there were a few bits where you had to straight line some steeps to get enough speed to get up the other side without walking- fine when groomed, but a bit dodgy with 30/40cm of fresh powder,flat light and bumps underneath you! I found the length of the ski's compensated if I was caught off balance a little 'cos they can absorb shock more easilt than skiboards, and also they FLOATED SO NICELY over the pow it was unbelievable.
                Having said that,going from 99cm skiboards to 180cm ski's was a bit frustrating though as I basically had to teach myself to ski again after 6years skiboarding
                I'm in two minds now whether to get an additional pair of skiboards jus for pow (prob spruce 120's) or just use my skiboards on non-pow days and get some ski's for the deep stuff....

Comment

I say go with the spruce, or even the revel8 or the loken ct8/el bajong, all got great powder reviews because they're pretty long and extremely fat
                  1999 Groove Retro 82cm

Days This Season - 9

Comment

Re: Big Mountain Riders?

Originally posted by akira523
                    K i just got back from mammoth hiked for hours. My preffered terrain is deep powder, and double blacks, alot of cliffs (15-30ft) natural jumps in trees and stuff. I like going off trail with long runs and untouched stuff. I dont know if theres a place for big mountain riders in skiboarding but im sure there has to be some other people like me with the same passion. But as all of you the place where i can showoff and stuff is the park, but mostly jumps LOL

ill; post pics as soon as i resize them
                    I seldom get into the deep stuff since I do not get out west. But I like to watch em if I can't skiboard it. I don't see much along Big Mountain in the current crop of skiboard flicks. There was some good footage in SB1. Nowadays it is pretty much just grinds and pipe. Hope they add some big mountain to the future shows. A lot of riders get scared with powder cause you have to water ski through it. If you let off your heels, you face plant. I usually do OK...unless I slack off with keeping the tips up.

Dan
                    Last edited by slackercruster; 02-09-2006, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X