Skiboard Friendly Lessons in Tahoe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboard Friendly Lessons in Tahoe ?

Are there any skiboard friendly lessons/instructors at Heavenly?

I'm going to be there in a couple of weeks, the 7th - 14th with Kirkwood on Monday the 9th and Northstar on Thursday the 12th.

I'll be on my trusted Sherpa's (that I survived Sun Valley on last year), but would love to take some lessons to help my confidence on steep stuff.

Any suggestions on lessons?

BTW, sounds like Friday afternoons may get a bit wild at the Tamarak Lodge at the top of the gondola with something they call the Unbuckle Apres Party with a live DJ, half priced drinks, food specials and the Heavenly Dancers.

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
    BTW, sounds like Friday afternoons may get a bit wild at the Tamarak Lodge at the top of the gondola with something they call the Unbuckle Apres Party with a live DJ, half priced drinks, food specials and the Heavenly Dancers.
    jjue and I were at the Tamarack Lodge today, but we were too early for the Heavenly Beauties. Darn!
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I'm going to be there in a couple of weeks, the 7th - 14th with Kirkwood on Monday the 9th and Northstar on Thursday the 12th.
      I don't want to burst your bubble, but right now the steeps that are open are scary sheets of ice. Heavenly doesn't even have any blacks open except for one mogul run. Hopefully by the time you get here we will have had some more snow. Present conditions are pathetic.
      Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Are they at least making snow at Heavenly? I doubt if the steep ice is any worse than Sun Valley was last year. At least they do have nice greens and blues and a view that haunts my soul.

Comment

Are they at least making snow at Heavenly? I doubt if the steep ice is any worse than Sun Valley was last year. At least they do have nice greens and blues and a view that haunts my soul.
          They are making snow at Heavenly, and they do a great job of grooming. There's a lot of terrain not open yet. We just need one or two nice storms. Fingers crossed!
          Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

My recommendation, skip the lessons as I doubt they'll teach you much if it's a basic crash course in skiing. Go out and tackled the bumpy terrain, glades, moguls, and small drops. Ride the in-and-out up-and-down trails on the sides of groomed runs if they exist. I'm talking about 2-4' declines that you can ski down easily yet still somewhat steep as a beginner and takes you back onto the groomers. Be cautious yet aggressive and confidant. If you think you're going to fall chances are you will but just turtle it on your back and feet in the air, at least that's how I try to wipe out gracefully. As you push beyond your comfort zone your confidence improves, your skill level goes up, your adrenaline increases and you eventually crave larger, steeper and more exciting terrain. I had 1/2 a day of ski lessons when I was 12 and never went again until I picked up skiboarding again 3 seasons ago. I try to venture to new areas on the hill, something more exciting than the last. Other times, I just follow the same line over and over, hitting it faster and harder. It's days like that which puts a smile on my face. Steep pow runs and fresh untouched moguls is the biggest thrill for me.

Get out there, play hard and watch yourself improve.
            Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
            Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
            Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

Working...
            X