Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Time Out & The Ski That Skis Like a Skiboard

... almost.

Soooo, I got out for my first turns of the season this last Sunday. Mt. Hood finally got some fresh snow and good coverage so I grabbed the Sherpas and the newly acquired Armada JJ skis and headed up.

Conditions were nice and varied for some back to back comparo testing: Some nicely tilled groom, some refrozen, rutted out hardpack higher up, lots of chunked up pow off-piste and a few untouched powder stashes in the trees. I spent all morning on the Sherpas and was instantly reminded why I've come to enjoy them so much. To me, they feel super-easy to pilot, carve trenches like they are on rails and I enjoy the increased stability over other skiboards I've owned and ridden. However, I was also instantly reminded why I have been so interested in pursuing a rockered long board build: I still found myself getting bucked around too much on uneven terrain. I was still left wanting in the stability department.

After lunch, I switched out to the JJs. They are 165 cm long but with very aggressive rocker, low camber underfoot and a 12m sidecut radius. The flat running length is almost spot on with the Sherpas due to the length of the rockered sections of the ski. Thus, they ride very short. I went without poles and had no problems getting around and skating the flats ... a couple times banging the tails a bit, but I do that every once in a while on the Sherpas too.

In short, I absolutely loved them. Prior to switching to skiboards about 5 years ago, I never really skied much ... maybe a total of a half dozen times over a span of 15 years. Initially I was a bit concerned with how well I'd do getting back on longer planks (especially since I always sucked horribly on skis and never learned to really enjoy them). My apprehensions were eliminated after two turns. The JJs feel A LOT like skiboards in ease of turning, maneuverability and general playfulness. The extra length was never a negative all day but was stellar on the uneven terrain. They are sooo much more stable, far less fatiguing and pure magic in the soft and chunky and the hard, uneven rutted out stuff. Much, much better than Sherpas in those conditions. They are also not a one trick pow pony. Fast, hard and deep carves on hardpack are no problem, edge hold is fantastic and they never felt ill-mannered regardless of what I threw at them.

Thus, I find myself in a bit of a difficult spot now. The JJs are almost what I was after with the Yeti, but not quite. I found myself wishing they were just a tad wider, especially at the tips, and that they had just a bit tighter sidecut radius ... maybe 9-10m. The interesting thing is that I never found myself wishing they were shorter.

If I do revisit the Yeti build at some point I will likely shoot for something between 140 and 150 cm long and with a similar profile as the JJs, but a bit wider. The JJs are a truly fantastic design.

For those that may be interested, I will post up some side by side comparison photos of the JJs and Sherpas this weekend. Also, I'll try to get some video the next time I'm out later this month.

I imagine I will continue skiboarding on the Sherpas and Marauders a bit, but I have a feeling the JJs may end being my "go-to" ride most days.

Skiboarding has been an interesting journey for me. It turned me on to snowsports the way skiing and snowboarding never could. My first snowsport love was KTPs. Then, I moved on to Condors. Then, to Sherpas and Marauders. Now, I don't even own KTPs or Condors and don't find myself missing them. There is a part of me that is a bit sad about that ... like a long lost college girlfriend (the one that got away) ... yet an acceptance that there will never be any going back.

I hope this does not get me kicked out of the club. I've really loved this forum and the community. I also have a tremendous appreciation for Greco... the products he provides, his commitment to keeping skiboarding alive and his commitment to serving his customer base.

I really struggled with whether or not to write this up and submit this thread. A part of me feels disloyal... like I am abandoning the very thing that opened the door for me to enjoy snowsports. I'm not sure if I'll be on skiboards at all by next season, but I do plan to stay connected, make Shredfest this season and hopefully keep making Shredfest each year. I guess time will tell if I come back around and try short boards redux at some point.
    Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you found something you really enjoy.
    And you'll always be welcome here. This community isn't great because of what the people have on their feet it's great because of the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
      Hi Robert,

And you'll always be welcome here. This community isn't great because of what the people have on their feet it's great because of the people.
      Thanks Greco. I appreciate it. And I agree ... the people I've met through this forum have been fantastic. I feel honored and privileged to have gotten to know so many here.

Your post just made me realize something else about my snowsports journey: I have enjoyed it all and actually, it has not been what I have "found". Rather than "finding" it has really been "searching" and "exploring". I have been very ADD with activities in my life (swimming, wrestling, martial arts, tennis, rock climbing, hiking, backpacking, kayaking, etc, etc) I've never stuck with one thing for long. I have greatly enjoyed all my snowsliding experiences since 2008 - would not trade any of it for anything. I'm sure my journey will continue and I'll move on to experiment with other things and explore different ways of getting down a snow covered mountain. Ultimately though, I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested if it were not for skiboarding, you and your business and people on this forum getting me hooked.

For all of that, I thank you.
      Full Tilt Boots
      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
        Hi Robert,

Oh ... and you will still have us as customers regardless. There are always accessories and supplies to stock up on, my wife will never want to go any longer than 110s and I intend to keep a stock of shorter boards as loaners for friends ... even if I rarely ever ride them.
        Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Truly to the Dark Side have you gone . . . .
          I think maybe also an iPhone you have
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

No problem Rob. I've been curious about the JJs my self. I just can't bring myself back to using a ski rack though. Bring them to shredfest. I want to see how you do on them. It's all about having fun.
            Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
            Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
            Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
            History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Robert, glad you are spending the money on the experiment many others have been temped to try...LOL. Looking forward to seeing you ride your new sticks at Shredfest.
              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Robert, have you ever thought of retrofitting 4x10 inserts to those skis? From my point of view, a big chunk of the appeal for skiboards/longboards is the clever and practical insert mounted binding system. There's no reason that system can't be used on skis.

Greedily, that way all the curious cheapskates at shredfest could try your JJ's without spending any dollars ;-)

Seriously, most skiboarders, I think, tend to be independent, out-of-the-box thought-process types. Those types tend to be gear junkies too. Everyone here who's that way raise your hand (I see a lot of hands). By definition, gear junkies have a lot of gear and are (like you) a little restless and always trying different things (softboot bindings, unique release setups, exotic touring bindings, etc., etc.). It's only natural.

Comment

Great report Robert , and thanks for posting it up ! I think one of the coolest things about this community is it's broad acceptance ... although it is a skiboard community ... there is not , I think , the narrow mindedness that can characterize other snowsports communities. Our worth is not based on the length of our tools LOL ! I also think your report really points toward something I have been thinking a lot about lately , the convergence of skiing and skiboarding . New school twin tip long planks like you are enjoying are very much similar to skiboards with the only difference being the length and side cut radius . In many ways, skiboarding is a stepping stone to twin tip skiing whether for the recreational rider like yourself or for pros like Ben Wannamaker. Skills developed skiboarding directly transfer to the big sticks and vice a versa for guys like myself who have gone from skiing to skiboarding. Many folks enjoy the added stability that the long planks provide and that is good . On the other end of the spectrum , refugees from skiing like myself enjoy the challenge , the manuverability and nimbleness that the short skiboards provide.
                  For me skiboarding is more and more a subset of skiing as a whole , much in the way telemark skiing is for me a subset of skiing as a whole . It is so cool that you are transferring your skiboarding skills directly the big sticks and ditching the poles and skating the boards just like you do skiboarding , I am deliberately doing the opposite ... I am putting the poles back in hand and deliberately skiing my skiboards exactly as I would ski a twin tip long ski, it feels perfect to me. For a long time I have been trying to fit into an image of what I thought folks were supposed to look like skiboarding , and that involved being poleless and skating around . I finally realized that hell , no need here to fit into a mold to look like someone else, just be myself . I am at my core a skier , have been all my life , and so I am once more a skier just on 110cm Rockered very fat short skis , just like others are skiboarders at their core and skiboarding on 165 rockered twins ... it is all good ! Looking forward to riding with you at Shredfest ... ps Shredfest is a very inclusive gathering , and although the majority are skiboarders, we have been joined by snowboarders, and skiers as well and have a great time together every year.!
                  Boards :
                  Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                  Boots
                  K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                  Bindings:
                  Zero Pro Non release Binding
                  Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                  Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                  Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                  Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Robert, have you ever thought of retrofitting 4x10 inserts to those skis? ....................
                    Greedily, that way all the curious cheapskates at shredfest could try your JJ's without spending any dollars ;-)
                    Bill, that is another damn good idea. You are on a roll.
                    sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Robert,

I know nothing about twin tip skis. Are the bindings mounted center or set back? Why the JJ's opposed to any other of the rockered skis available? Icelantic has the Gypsy that's rockered with wider tips. Had you considered that model?
                      Boards/Bindings:
                      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        Robert, have you ever thought of retrofitting 4x10 inserts to those skis? From my point of view, a big chunk of the appeal for skiboards/longboards is the clever and practical insert mounted binding system. There's no reason that system can't be used on skis.

Actually, I almost did do this. I found insert packages for skis on the net and searched for local shops that would install them. Unfortunately, the closest shop that would do it was over 50 miles away and I decided not to travel that far. My second thought was to install demo bindings. Ultimately, I decided to go the cheap and convenient route and just use a pair of bindings I'd gotten on clearance off the net for my UHMW riser experiments. I do intend to eventually do something with some adjustability on another pair either via inserts or demo bindings. I just don't know if that will be this season by Shredfest. I might like to try it out on a pair of the 155 cm junior JJs (the Triple J). Anyway ... these will certainly be coming with me to Shredfest. Anyone whose boots will fit is welcome to give them a spin.
                        Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                          truly to the dark side have you gone . . . .
                          I think maybe also an iphone you have
                          never !!!!
                          Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                            Robert,

I know nothing about twin tip skis. Are the bindings mounted center or set back? Why the JJ's opposed to any other of the rockered skis available? Icelantic has the Gypsy that's rockered with wider tips. Had you considered that model?
                            Bindings are setback from geometric center but so that the center of my boot is just about at the narrowest point of the sidecut since the shape is slightly asymmetric.

I chose the JJs because they were the closest I could find to what I was after in the Yeti build: rocker/camber/rocker, 5-point sidecut, tightest sidecut radius I could find, flat running length close to what I was shooting for. Also, they came highly recommended from another skiboarder. The Gypsy's have a much greater sidecut radius and also no camber underfoot. To me, they seemed far more pow specific whereas I was looking for a more versatile, all-mountain setup.

Also, I got a smoking deal on the JJs off ebay. New 2011/2012s that that had not sold that a shop in Utah had listed for $450.
                            Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForAir View Post
                              ......................Anyway ... these will certainly be coming with me to Shredfest. Anyone whose boots will fit is welcome to give them a spin.
                              Robert,

What range of boot sole length do you have available on your JJ's bindings?

Be sure to also bring a Spruce riser set up with both the 4 x 4 and 4 x 10 mount (and backpack) to Shredfest. You do not want to be stranded while others are test piloting your JJs.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X