Spliff Review -- East Coast Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spliffs review -- late season update.

My season is quickly fading, with the late start it seems like is was only a few weeks long, with it coming to a close I figured I would revisit and update my review of the Spliffs.

My initial view was that they were awesome but I had moments throughout the season where I thought I might be wrong but also where I was positive I was right. Currently I sit where the Spliffs are my board of choice. While Jeff and Greco have made boards in the past that are easy riding with mass appeal, like the 120s and Blunt/Blunt XLs, the Spliffs (IMHO) fall in to a different category where, similar to the KTPs, they are an aggressive board that require hard input. They can be very tiring if you are not prepared for that but fantastic if you are willing to really commit to what they are. For me they are a skiboarders skiboard. These are not short skis and will bite you in the ass if you try to "ski" them. I came to this conclusion after riding with a buddy who is a ski instructor at Beaver Creek. He noted that unlike riding with me last year, when I was on 120s, my body position was more upright will almost no forward lean. In his words it looked "more like skating than skiing."

Over the season I've had the chance to ride the Spliffs in everything except deep powder. In the light powder I had them in I had to ride them a bit from the tails so I think Jack is right on riding them with a little set back in his regular conditions but on groomers and East coast hardpack centered is just fine for me. The only place where I initially found the Spliffs a little unnerving is their edge grip on rock hard steep ice. In these condition I need to keep the boards under me, drive them hard, and know that they will drift a bit.

Who are these boards for? As I noted above these are a "Skiboarders Skiboard" and will perform best under the feet of intermediate to advanced riders who understand that skiboards are not skis. There are some skiboards that ride like short skis. These are not those skiboards. Aggressive skaters and skiboarders will enjoy these more than skiers looking for something new to try. While you could start on these as your first skiboard it is probably best to start with something narrower and less aggressive.

Would I change anything? Maybe. I would love to see a Spliff SKNY XL (aka the Chronic)... a board that RVL8 likely won't make .... but here is my wishlist:
    • Stretch the board out to 115cm
    • Install 4x10 inserts with 4cm setback inserts
    • Keep the rocker and camber the same
    • Take a full cm out of the tip/tail with and 1/2 cm out of the waist to give them a longer turning radius and make them quicker edge to edge on hardpack.

One little thing I love about these that I suggest that RVL8 do on all boards going forward is that they have have "Skiboards" boldly printed along with the brand and their name on the toe of one board. While standing in the lift lines and riding the skier bus everyone noticed the name and correctly called them "SKIBOARDS". This was a definite positive conversation starter and should be a RVL8 Brand hallmark on all boards.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

You just never know!

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      The pow riding ability of the Spliffs is really a fringe consideration for me as a deep pow day, where I ride, is a bit like seeing a Yeti riding a Unicorn while wearing a party hat (aka Mythical). ...
      For the Wookster...
      171cm/190lbs
      Current Favorites:
      RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
      Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
      Other boards I'm trying:
      Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

The pow riding ability of the Spliffs is really a fringe consideration for me as a deep pow day, where I ride, is a bit like seeing a Yeti riding a Unicorn while wearing a party hat (aka Mythical).
        Just for the sake of clarity - is the Yeti or the unicorn wearing the party hat ?
        In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
        Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
          Just for the sake of clarity - is the Yeti or the unicorn wearing the party hat ?
          The Yeti is wearing the hat! Why would a unicorn need to wear a party hat? They are festive enough and the hat would cover its horn making it just a horse in a party hat. Now if the Yeti was riding a Pegasus both the Yeti and Pegasus need to be wearing party hats.
          Boards:
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

The Yeti is wearing the hat! Why would a unicorn need to wear a party hat? They are festive enough and the hat would cover its horn making it just a horse in a party hat. Now if the Yeti was riding a Pegasus both the Yeti and Pegasus need to be wearing party hats.
            So, you are telling me the unicorn wearing a hat I rode in college was simply a horse? Seriously bummed.

I am starting to wonder a bit about that leprechaun I stole the pot of gold from now...
            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
              So, you are telling me the unicorn wearing a hat I rode in college was simply a horse? Seriously bummed.

I am starting to wonder a bit about that leprechaun I stole the pot of gold from now...
              Given the original topic of this tread I am sure a "spliff" was responsible for you believing you saw a unicorn and a leprechaun in college. After both sightings did you have a craving for a 7Eleven burrito?
              Boards:
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Given the original topic of this tread I am sure a "spliff" was responsible for you believing you saw a unicorn and a leprechaun in college. After both sightings did you have a craving for a 7Eleven burrito?
                I didn't just see them - I rode one and stole from the other. But, now that I think about it I am not sure which one I did what to. Wait - that sounds kinda bad.

7Eleven - come on man - Sheetz hot dogs sweating on that dirty roller all day just waiting for 2am...
                Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Spliff Review -- East Coast Style

Spliff 2.0 Suggestion -- ADD SETBACK

This is note to Greco and a follow-up to my original review of the Spliffs. I have not been shy about how much I like the Spliffs and seemed to get on with them better than a lot of riders (perhaps due to my own personal riding style). In riding the Sticky Icky Icky boards this season I can't stop thinking about how adding the setback for release bindings, that the SIIs have, would be awesome for the Spliffs. I think it would make them a super powder board and make them much more agreeable to many of the riders who didn't fall in love with them last season.

Just a suggestion to the RVL8 R&D department. Would be happy to be a test pilot for the new setup. I have actually considered having the inserts added to my Spliffs but don't have the tools or trust my local shop to do the work.
                  Boards:
                  2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Spliff 2.0 Suggestion -- ADD SETBACK

This is note to Greco and a follow-up to my original review of the Spliffs. I have not been shy about how much I like the Spliffs and seemed to get on with them better than a lot of riders (perhaps due to my own personal riding style). In riding the Sticky Icky Icky boards this season I can't stop thinking about how adding the setback for release bindings, that the SIIs have, would be awesome for the Spliffs. I think it would make them a super powder board and make them much more agreeable to many of the riders who didn't fall in love with them last season

Just a suggestion to the RVL8 R&D department. Would be happy to be a test pilot for the new setup. I have actually considered having the inserts added to my Spliffs but don't have the tools or trust my local shop to do the work.
                    Totally agree ! I think a set back really helps out the Spliff in soft and variable snow and crud and really makes it close to the performance of a Rockered Condor in the deep stuff and yet provides much more positive carving in the hard snow then the RC , my other favorite skiboard.
                    Boards :
                    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                    Boots
                    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                    Bindings:
                    Zero Pro Non release Binding
                    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
                    X