Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2016 109 Spliff

The Bottom Line

Another Home Run from SBOL. Wonderful stability, beautifully neutral handling, extremely comfortable ride, great edge grip, and that elusive 'Big Board' feel, all in a very cool format. Whats not to like?

The Ride

It takes just about 50 meters of riding to know the Spliff is going to be a great board. The stability is brilliant, a lot like a 120 actually, and then you make a turn, and it all just happens with so little effort and fuss. You dont have to make minor adjustments in the turn because the board is totally neutral. It just does what you want with no push back at all.
    The edge hook up is soft. No grabbing, no hooking, nothing. It just progressively gets stronger the more angle you apply so managing edge grip is a dream. You can easily adjust on the fly, initial angulation never catches you out, yet even at low angles, the edges dont slide out. This is all quite different from any other of the R8 boards, which tend to be very on/off, with the exception of the Rockered Condor, which is mostly just off.
    Stability is huge, perhaps because the board is overall quite stiff, so with the combination of neutral handling, great stability, and excellent edge grip, confidence builds very quickly. No problem. With a board this big, glide was never going to be a problem. Like the 120, there is none of the micro stop/start stuff going on, so you dont have to keep loads of leg tension to keep your balance. So much less tiring.
    Currently I weigh around 160, and the board felt just great. It was clear it could easily handle much more weight. Gromit also rode them and he is MUCH lighter than I. No problems at all. This was impressive as the camber takes a lot of pushing flat.
    Pushing the board hard was just brilliant. I never felt like I was at the edge of control. They just felt better and better.

Gromit and I rode them back to back with Blunt XLs. I was using stiff race boots with loads of forward lean. Both sets of boards were fitted with Spruce Riser/Attack 13 bindings at high DIN and with the toe piece adjusted a little lower than recommended. The two boards felt incredibly different. The XL gives a very loud and direct feedback to the rider, with instantaneous edge engagement and a very turn positive feel when carving, like it takes a concious decision to exit a carve. The Spliff is way more neutral, feedback being much less intrusive. Carving is very much turn neutral, with no effort to either enter or exit smoothly. Almost sub concious.
    Stability is much better with the Spliff, though the XL is still good, but when it comes to stability, longer boards rock. Glide was also much improved on the 109, again, expected, simply by virtue of being bigger.
    I then switched out to my upright boots. Boy did the 109 love those! The improved stability encourages a more upright stance anyway, but it also quickly became apparent just how much tail support there is. You can survive getting it horribly wrong on this board much better than on the XL, and its a whole other world compared to the Rockered Condor.

I never felt tired on them either. When cruising, the boards felt uncannily like 120s, there can be no greater praise than that, but pushed hard, showed an aggressive sport like nature that is going to keep me coming back for more and more.

So is this a G3 board or are we seeing the birth of G4? I think its G4. Other opinions will surface as the season progresses. It is most definitely fusion, and a GOOD fusion. I am writing this having not seen the production graphics, but I hope they are LOUD! I hope they scream 'Hey, look at me'. NOT my usual stance on graphics LOL.

Tech Stuff

For comparison, the G3 boards

The Spliff uncompressed. Camber is quite high and the boards look a lot like a normal cambered board in profile

Compressed it becomes obvious just how much rocker there is

Even more obvious in close up

This is a comparison with the Rockered Condor. The edge on one side of the boards is aligned and the overlap on the other side shows the difference in width, The Rockered Condor being the wider.

With the boards held base to base, I am unable to compress them enough to get them to touch, even with both hands. This would signify a pretty stiff board, but they actually feel lovely and comfortable to ride.

They are listed as 109. You can see the tips are slightly blunter than the RCs, which drops the overall back a bit. I love this minimalism, but dont be fooled, this is a BIG board. Loads of float and glide here. I have zero doubts about taking them into deep pow.

Cant wait for winter . . . . . . .
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Sounds like the Spliff's are a real winner valmorel. Thanks for the detailed review and comparison.

How were the edges tuned on the prototypes?
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I agree with valmorel's impressions of the 109 Spliff prototypes. A superb skiboard.

I commented to him, that the board might suit the folks who ride park better than the Blunt XLs say but as neither of us are into park riding that'll have to be investigated by someone else with skills in that area. Though I did notice valmorel "making a little air" at the snow dome.
      Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
      Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
      Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

interesting!

I read the article several times, but I would ask:
        what is the difference in Maneuverability,in Moguls,in Turning Radius between Spliff and XL?? (I like brutal answers)

I think the characteristics listed above are some of the advantages of more restricted boards like XL

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
          Sounds like the Spliff's are a real winner valmorel. Thanks for the detailed review and comparison.

How were the edges tuned on the prototypes?
          Rode them box stock. Normal R8 kind of prep. Light base angle, quite sharp. Don't think edge tuning will be very critical on this board.
          Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by ashman View Post
            interesting!

I read the article several times, but I would ask:
            what is the difference in Maneuverability,in Moguls,in Turning Radius between Spliff and XL?? (I like brutal answers)

I think the characteristics listed above are some of the advantages of more restricted boards like XL
            First impressions suggest the XLs are more manoeuvrable but it is close. Too early to tell re moguls. Later in the year they will probably build a mogul field in the snow dome and I can try them then
            Go Android

Comment

Thanks for the review... looking forward to getting on a pair!
              rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
              ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                .... The stability is brilliant, a lot like a 120 actually, .....
                You had me at "a lot like the 120". I think I stopped reading there.

Note to Greco: The "a lot like the 120" text needs to be a hyperlink to the preorder page just for me, Sempai, and Bill.
                Boards:
                2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

There's lots to be exciting about. There are signs all around that we'll be skiboarding again soon. Temps are dropping. I woke up this morning to 45 degrees in Reno, and the news said it was around the freezing mark in Tahoe. El Nino Part 3 from Open Snow was in my inbox. Valmorel posted a wonderful review of the Spliffs, and tomorrow we should get our first look at the new 2015/16 RVL8 lineup and graphics. It's going to be an awesome season.
                  Boards/Bindings:
                  2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                  2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                    There's lots to be exciting about. There are signs all around that we'll be skiboarding again soon. Temps are dropping. I woke up this morning to 45 degrees in Reno, and the news said it was around the freezing mark in Tahoe. El Nino Part 3 from Open Snow was in my inbox. Valmorel posted a wonderful review of the Spliffs, and tomorrow we should get our first look at the new 2015/16 RVL8 lineup and graphics. It's going to be an awesome season.
                    Actually, we are having a cold summer here in UK. Least three years have been this way and ski season has been great
                    Go Android

Comment

[quote name="valmorel" post=151150].... The stability is brilliant, a lot like a 120 actually, .....[/QUOTE]

You had me at "a lot like the 120". I think I stopped reading there.

Note to Greco: The "a lot like the 120" text needs to be a hyperlink to the preorder page just for me, Sempai, and Bill. And rickylink!!
                      rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                      ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                        There's lots to be exciting about. ......
                        Yup. This is how I feel today....

Boards:
                        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
                          Note to Greco: The "a lot like the 120" text needs to be a hyperlink to the preorder page just for me, Sempai, and Bill. And rickylink!!
                          I would assume that there is special preorder link in development for rickylink that includes an option to buy pants that match the Spliff graphics and a new SBOL Hoodie. This is called the "full ricky" package.
                          Boards:
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

[quote name="rickylink" post=151170].....

Note to Greco: The "a lot like the 120" text needs to be a hyperlink to the preorder page just for me, Sempai, and Bill. And rickylink!![/QUOTE]

I would assume that there is special preorder link in development for rickylink that includes an option to buy pants that match the Spliff graphics and a new SBOL Hoodie. This is called the "full ricky" package. That's right... it's just like the full Monty package! 😁
                            rickylink

~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
                              [quote name="rickylink" post=151170].....

I would assume that there is special preorder link in development for rickylink that includes an option to buy pants that match the Spliff graphics and a new SBOL Hoodie. This is called the "full ricky" package. That's right... it's just like the full Monty package! 😁[/QUOTE]
                              So looking forward to seeing the production graphic. Guess I need to spring for yet another set of boards. Checking them out today for pics and it surprised me how many sets of boards I have. Probably 20 various pairs. With the advent of the Spliff guess I better give some away. Some are brand new still in shrink wrap, others are really well used LOL
                              Next trip out on Spliff scheduled for September 20.
                              Go Android

Comment

Working...
                              X