Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revel8 Receptor Touring Binding-Holy Grail acheived !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revel8 Receptor Touring Binding-Holy Grail acheived !

As many of you know I have been experimenting with a variety of non release skiboard bindings trying to come up with a fully functional skiboard touring binding . I wanted to give folks an update on the project. There have been a number of minor bumps in the road .. but with the appearance of the R8 receptor binding the project is complete.
    All other non release bindings while they do work with my retrofit touring binding come up a bit short in different ways , and the only binding to really work well in all respects is the Receptor .

I like to use alpine touring boots which have a rockered vibram sole , and are lighter weight then regular ski boots , while have most of the performance of downhill ski boots. They have a somewhat wider toe area then regular ski boots.

Here is a pic of my Alpine touring boots :

One of the key issues is the size of the opening for boots and the way the front bales fit against the boots. Here is a picture of various fixed skiboard bindings showing the size of the front bale opening

In the touring binding application the rear of the boot is not locked by fixed bale but is attached via side compression cylinders on a metal wire and locked with a lever on the back .

It is crucial for the boot toe to fit snug against the side wires of the front bale , it is also important the wire hooks do not slide easily along the front wire where the bale attaches to the front plate of the binding . If the toe of the boot does not fit snugly against the front side wires or if the hooks can slide laterally along front wires where they join the front plate .. you can with strong side pressure actually torque the toe of your boot sliding slideways and causing the front lever to pop open. I have done that on the Zero , and line ff pros , climbing , side hilling on firm icy snow . not alot of fun to have your boot come loose unexpectedly . The reason , is that in both of these bindings the toe aperature is too big and the sides of the front bale do not fit snugly against the front of the boot and there is no mechanism to prevent the wires from moving along the front wire where it attaches horizontally to the front plate.

The newly redesigned Bomber elite 2 has the opposite problem its thick shoulders ( a unique feature to the bomber ) and narrow opening prevent the wider toe of an alpine touring boot from fitting. Also the thick shoulders prevent use of front hooks of the telemark binding cable

If you look at this picture of the Receptor , you will see that the boot fits very snugly with the side wires nicely up against the side of the boot

The Receptor also has something which the Line ff pros and the zero's do not which are metal collars . In this detail picture you can see that there is a spot on either side of the metal collars that the telemark cable wire hooks attached , when the telemark cables are enaged and taut the collars prevent sliding of the cable hooks along the edge of the lower horizontal bale wires.

All of this leads to a very secure front bale , telemark binding cable attachment that really prevents the front toe from torquing on climbing traverses .

I have worked out a simple rear bungeed plastic heel elevator system that works on all the other fixed skiboard bindings and provides a low position heel elevator but have yet to find any other binding that will allow me to attach a standard telemark heel elevator and provide a high position heel elevator which is very useful in climbing directly up steep slopes.

. In my review of the Receptor , you will see that I spin around the double screw receptors on the rear bale plate .. this allows me to set the binding back as I described in my review but also gives me something else !
    I can put a standard telemark climbing bale between the screw and the front of the rear plate .. these cheap wire bales ared not fused at the base and I have used duct tape to tape thhe ends of the bale together and used some plastic to help wedge the climbing bale up against the front of the rear binding plate . This works well and allows the binding bale to lay flat and then elevate for a high climbing positon . Here is a pic of the climbing bale lying flat .

Here is the high climbing bale in use

These two features of the Receptor really let me complete the project . Other aspects of the touring binding had already been worked out on other non release bindings and work well on the Receptor as well .

using the plastic bungee piece , even when not in use as a heel elevator , allows the rear bale to be sligthly up this provides a metal wall against which the heel of the ski boot can rest on side hilling when not using heel elevators and further prevents the boot from torqueing in the binding ..
    also there are times when you are going downhill with your climbing skins on and want to edge the skiboard to slow you down , having the side wall of the rear bale up allows you to have something to again prevent you from torquing your boot sideways when attached only by the telemark cables .

ski crampons are attached by using 30mm upside down flat head M6 machine screws that are inserted upside down from the bottom up through unused insert holes in the Receptor binding . When you tighten the binding down these the heads of these scews seat up nicely inside the rubber pad of the binding . Crampons are attached as needed for icy snow climbing via the use of wing nuts .

This binding pared with the Condors and climbing skins make for a wonderful climbing binding /backcountry board combo ..

When you get to the top the climbing stuff is removed and you are locked and loaded on a performance skiboard binding .

Holy grail acheived ! I am a very happy backcountry skiboard mountaineer !!

Time to hit the trail !

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Originally posted by jjue View Post
    ....Holy grail acheived ! I am a very happy backcountry skiboard mountaineer !!
    But Jack, if you are done, we will not have anything to look forward to reading from you. Please find yourself another challenge so we can follow your adventures!

BTW: This is a great closing chapter to your journey to find the holy grail of skiboarding mountaineering. Glad it all worked out.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I've spent most of my life in and around technical fields and seeing a pure, personal needs based engineering project like this always makes my day!

Excellent job!!!

Spruce 120's (Solid Blue)
      Spruce Pro Prime Risers
      Salomon Z12 Ti Bindings
      Rossignol Soft Lite 3's

Comment

Fascinating project! They seem to work out extremely well!

Nice job Jjue!
        2010 KTP
        2010Receptors
        2011 Full Tilt Hot Doggers

www.myspace.com/damnthedoorisclosed

Comment

congrats jjue. I might have to try and mod your idea if you dont mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Karim2694 View Post
            congrats jjue. I might have to try and mod your idea if you dont mind.
            Absolutely !!!!,, this is a community , open source effort ., for sure , . anyone else who has ideas ... please post up !!!
            What is really cool to me is that the Receptor binding in particular is a wonderful starting point for a variety of modifications that can be really workable

PS. in terms of the basic Revel8 Receptor binding itself , I know that Greco would love to hear from any riders who have ideas about how to make the binding better... I have talked to him and he is firmly committed to making improvements to the binding in the years to come if riders feel they should be done ... One cool thing he is already planning is a higher carving riser pad for next season !
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Announcing the NSN touring binding

The anemic telemark climbing bale I showed you on this thread broke ! and is no good .. but the final answer was Valmorel's amazing rubber sheet mod that allows the rear bale of the Receptor skiboard binding to be used as a most excellent climbing bar that stays up when I want it up and is easy to raise and lower .. AND the rear bale stays up when I want to click in .. easy as pie .. just leave the climbing skins on so the skbioards don't slip around , click out take off the telemark cables, raise the rear bale push the back of your boot against it , snap the front lever , and then remove your climbing skins by reaching over and pulling off the rubber loop .. sweet . locked and loaded in seconds. .. I was out in the backcountry today on the touring binding with the Valmorel mod and was in heaven .. this is IT!

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...9364#post99364

So I will announce the NSN ( New Skiboard Norm ) Touring binding
              ( by the way the NTN - . new telemark norm binding - the holy grail for telemarkers requires you to buy a 450 dollar patented binding and new 850 dollars boots just to use the special binding that will only mate with the new boots )

Patents : none this is an open source SBOL forum product
              Designers : JJue and Valmorel
              Features: Free pivot touring on a standard skiboard binding , rear bale of skiboard binding serves as a climbing bar , easily removable touring cables to leave you with standard skiboard binding for going down .. light weight ,
              Design complete retrofit design , no drilling or machine work
              Sources :
              Revel8 Receptor Skiboard Binding
              Voile Hardwire Telemark Cables
              B and D Ski gear Crampons
              Home Depot supplied 30mm M6 flat head screws and M6 wingnuts , and rubber sheeting
              Climbing Skins Direct Skins ..

Boots : use your own !
              How do you buy this wonderful invention .. ? you don't buy it you build it yourself ! Linux of skiboard touring . eh Valmorel ?
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

LOL. I LOVE open source
                Crossbow (go to dream board)
                Most everything else over time.
                Go Android

Comment

Working...
                X