Poles and newschoolers / Poles out west

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poles and newschoolers / Poles out west

Picked up an old copy of Skeeze mag. (Maybe 2007??) They had an article about newschoolers debating whether to lose the poles or not.

Where are the twin tippers with poles? Was dropping the crutches just a passing fad or not?

2nd pole question - One guy said that a skier would be lost at Vail or Breckenridge without poles. Would that go for a SB'ers too? Do you poleless SB'ers suddenly start to carry poles out west?

I see more newschoolers with poles than without, but they are both out. As for needing poles, the only situation in skiboarding the poles are useful is if you are skinning up a hill. Being able to skate so easily alleviates the need of poles. Modern skis have progressed so much that the need of poles even for skiing has been greatly reduced from thirty years ago. Most skiers these days only use their poles for traversing and helping with the rhythm of timing your turns.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

I lost the poles years ago and only miss them 1% of the time. Like when I am packed like sardines 6 up in a lift line with fresh hot wax on an icy approach and the only way I can move cramped up is to shuffle.

The other time I miss my poles is when one lift drops you off and the next lift is a 500 foot hike uphill....but 99% of the time I love skiing without the crutches.

Never a mention about skiboarders in the Skeeze article. But they related to the feelings that many a skiboarder must have.

...they said they liked the freedom of not having to carry more unneeded gear....AHHHH SKIBOARDING!

Comment

Originally posted by fookisan View Post
        I lost the poles years ago and only miss them 1% of the time. Like when I am packed like sardines 6 up in a lift line with fresh hot wax on an icy approach and the only way I can move cramped up is to shuffle.
        I try to get to one of the outside gates when I'm in the queue for a chair lift. You then usually find that there is a rope barrier or rail that's useful for a little assistance.
        A few seasons ago, I used to carry a DaKine HeliPro rucksack with collapsible ski poles strapped on the sides ready for use but it was too much faffing about to bother with unstrapping them when they were needed.
        I've ditched the rucksack and poles nowadays and just carry a belt pack with any other miscellaneous stuff in my pockets.
        Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
        Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
        Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

When I'm on my MNPs, I don't use poles but when I'm on my maurauders, I use poles. Its a bit harder to not hit people in the lift line on 125s if your trying to control your speed on a downhill loading line. With the MNPs, I can parallel stop in my own area without hitting anyone. Besides in the trees in fresh pow, poles are a nice thing to have.

Comment

Anyone find poles helpful in trees, steeps, and/or deep powder situations? I was thinking of trying some this year hoping they'd give me a little extra control and speed checking, but they might just get in the way....I dunno
            1996 89cm Line MNP, FF Aluminum
            2008 101cm Revel8 KTP, Bombers
            2008 130cm Spruce Sherpa, Salomon Z10Ti on Pro Prime Riser
            2010 110cm Revel8 Condors on pre-order
            2009 Lange Concept 85 boots
            2010 Full Tilt Konflict boots
            2009/10 Custom SkiBike (DONE)

"Turning is totally counter-productive; all it does is slow you down" - Old Chinese Skier from Warren Miller's 'Dynasty'

Comment

I don't touch the things, regardless of what boards I'm on. I've had no problem with my boards in tight trees or on the steeps. As I said earlier, even on skis, poles are becoming less and less useful other than for traversing and helping with the rhythm of your turns as ski tech becomes more and more advanced.
              I do it because I can.
              I can because I want to.
              I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
              '08 KTPs

Comment

This is certainly an interesting question , for me , personally , I have discovered that having poles in hand actually tends to mess with proper skiboard technique .. I have skied for so long that having them in hand makes me turn my skiboards like I always used to turn skis by standing tall unweighting and throwing my tails around , rather than just standing centered and bending my knees more and letting the side cut of the skiboard do the work , It is almost like having the poles in hands just triggers every movement pattern that I used to have with long skis ( long straight skis that needed to be muscled around into a turn )

This weekend in difficult variable backcountry snow .. I tried one run with ski poles in hand on my Condors , it felt totally weird and all wrong , I felt like the Condor was too short and I needed a bigger ski , and needed my binding set back.... my bad arthritic knee hurt because I would tend to lean backwards to compensate for the tiny ski . worrying that I would face plant .. and try to unweight and throw the tails around . .
                then I got rid of the poles and everything seemed right I settled in balance wise got in a lower more gorilla type stance and trusted the skiboard to do its magic in the junky snow and not throw me on my face ... everything was smoother , the Condor no longer felt like a too short ski , but a big powerful skiboard with plenty of float that I was not forcing but more like I was along for the ride.. super cool ...

I noticed the same thing with the Sherpa .. on the Sherpa it seemed that the board felt better set back on the powder plate when I used poles , it just turned more like a ski .. .when I got rid of the powder plate and went center mount . the Sherpa felt odd and uncomfortable , until I watched vids of Skafreak riding the same board , lower , more centered in a " gorilla type stance" different from my stand tall elegant skier style I have taken years to perfect . .. I deliberately got rid of the poles and tried to match his style and all of a sudden I realized that skiboards are designed and meant to be driven without poles from a center position and driving them from that position requires a different type of style then driving skis with poles on an assymetric board. The reason you see many newschool twin tippers going to a poleless style , is that current twins are designed more and more like skiboards rather than the assymetric long skis of the past and riding them , like Skafreak , says becomes more more akin to what we do on skiboards where poles become superfulous and sometimes a hinderance to smoothly piloting our boards ,,,
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by Phyfe99 View Post
                  Anyone find poles helpful in trees, steeps, and/or deep powder situations? I was thinking of trying some this year hoping they'd give me a little extra control and speed checking, but they might just get in the way....I dunno
                  I like them in lift lines, when I fall in deep powder, timing turns in moguls (my skiing background), traversing flats and deep powder flats...it's very hard for me to skate most of the big boards for a long time, pressing the heels of my bindings to release them. Usually when I ski, I hold both in one hand and don't use them... poleless cruising. I like them the least when I'm walking from the car to the resort.... more to carry. If you use them the telescoping are the best.

Wendell
                  Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                  Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                  Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                  History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
                  X