how To: Stop Top Sheet damage??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how To: Stop Top Sheet damage??

Is it true that very lightly sanding the edge of the topsheet will help stop damage to it?? any other tips out there??
    Revel8 Revolt Cities, w/ snowjam Extreme II

SNOWS FALLING!!!!!!!!

I like to sand the edges (lightly) so they are rounded instead of square. This helps prevent topsheet damage, but wont stop it.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

if only it could
      Revel8 Revolt Cities, w/ snowjam Extreme II

SNOWS FALLING!!!!!!!!

Comment

I round the top edge using a fine tooth file, multiple passes, and a light touch. I find that it is easier to control and there is less chance of scratching the top surface than with the sand paper.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I use a dual action air sander. 180 grit paper.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

180.. Now that's fine!
            "And above all remember to have fun"

Comment

after each day I use very fine sandpaper to smooth out any nicks.....i might also put some super glue on any chips

tedious but worth it

Comment

Originally posted by ///M3Matt
                after each day I use very fine sandpaper to smooth out any nicks.....i might also put some super glue on any chips

tedious but worth it
                I just spent this evening sorting out the nicks and chips in my boards. I got hold of some epoxy and superglue, went for the superglue :

To be honest, I don't think there would be much difference except the Sglue sets much faster. Easier for small nicks.

Worked nice (except for filling one big gash), so if it's a big'un I'd recommend epoxy.

James
                "And above all remember to have fun"

Comment

I just let my boards get nicked up; as long as the damage is superficial I'm ok with it. I do value aesthetics, but not to the degree that I feel I need to sand my boards.

Dan
                  Chickens w/ Spruce Pro Primes

Comment

Its not for the surface donut. Just to wear the edges smooth, so they are less likely to catch on ice etc. I Find the majority of scratches happen in line....

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

If you are up for a project requiring a little effort, you can reduce the amount of topsheet chipping on sidewall boards a lot by filing a vertical sidewall onto the board and then rounding off the edge of the topsheet as described elsewhere in this thread. The attached sketch shows the cross section of a Rossignol "Scratch" twintip ski. Notice how the bottom 3mm or so of the sidewall is exactly vertical and the sidewall above the vertical section "leans in". On most sidewall boards, the sidewall comes from the factory with just the "lean in" and no vertical section on the sidewall. If you take a good quality flat file and file the edge of the board until you get 2 to 3 millimeters of vertical sidewall at the bottom of the sidewall, the amount of topsheet chipping will go down, usually a lot. In addition, if you do the filing carefully you will end up with nice sharp edges.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Greco; 01-30-2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X