No announcement yet.

Help a noob decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a few runs in the new boots - they ski much better than the old ones and they seem to be more comfortable even straight out the box. I am sure once I get them fitted for next season they will be very good!

Now I am getting back to the new skiboards project

Have a few more questions for people with more experience than me.

First regarding the Sticky Icky and the Crossbows. How would the bigger turn radius feel when riding? The Heads now have an insanely small radius 4 meters. I guess when carving I don't need that short turns, and the 7 and 8 meters of those skiboards should be fine. How does it affect the ride otherwise? I am not an expert in skis and their geometry and stuff, so I really have no idea. Would they be less maneuverable in all aspects? I.e. when skidding around? I love the ability to turn them immediately in any direction and the super easy pivoting, would I loose some of that with the Sticky Icky and especially the longer Crossbows?

Then the riser plate and the bindings. This site offers "pro sport riser" and "pro prime plus riser", while Spruce's site only mentions "pro riser". I cannot figure out what the difference is? And the bindings offered along on the two sites are different. How should I choose? If I get the cheapest option would it be enough for me (if I don't need gripwalk)?

Comment

I cannot compare the SIIs or the Crossbows since I’ve not ridden them, but can take a stab at your riser questions.

The pro sport/prime/plus uses the same riser the difference is the bindings that are affixed. The pro prime plus uses Attack 13s which are considered top of the line and will give the most solid connection/feel. The DIN of any other binding will be lower but unless you’re hard charging it shouldn’t be much of an issue. Since the only difference is the binding, you should be well-served by seeing the reviews of those bindings online to see what people think. I know there are plenty of people who love the pro sport and others who probably wouldn’t want that binding for their style.

Personally I went with the Attack 13s because I crave the most solid connection possible, just like I prefer very stiff boots. But everyone has their preferences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Stickies and Crossbows should feel a lot more stable and wobble less at high speed especially on flats. If you're doing super short, fast, linked, true carve turns then the Heads might feel more quicker edge-to-edge because the full lengths of the edges are always engaged. Stickies and Crossbows need to be at certain minimum angles to get the edges fully engaged due to their rockers. However, you can twist Stickies and Crossbows while they're flat, so if you change your technique to twist and pivot onto the edges you can turn faster - Stickies can probably keep up or turn faster than the Heads this way, but the Crossbows are probably too long. Also, if you like to slarve (slip-carve), Stickies and Crossbows are far superior to the Heads.

The only real difference between the "Prime Sport" and "Prime Plus Pro" is the actual bindings on them. I think the aluminum risers are identical. The Spruce web site lists 3 different binding options - SX, RX-12 and Attack 11 - and are currently on sale. The "Prime Plus Pro" has historically been the Attack 13 bindings. It looks like SBOL is selling Attack2 13's now and Spruce is selling Attack 11's. The differences between the bindings - SX, RX-12, A-11, A-13, A2-13 - are around safety, adjustability and capability. Beginners through advanced intermediates probably won't be able to notice any performance difference. The Attack series are designed for the most aggressive and expert rider. If the cost difference is bearable to you, Attacks are highly recommended.

ETA -
        To elaborate on Stickies vs Crossbows in terms of turning faster, yes, Crossbows will feel heavier and more sluggish than Stickies. But, the more skilled you get as a rider, the less that sluggishness will matter. And when you ride faster and in more varied terrain, that "sluggishness" can turn into an advantage. I would not discount the Crossbows simply because they might seem too long right now.

Comment

Originally posted by boyanr View Post
          Did a few runs in the new boots - they ski much better than the old ones and they seem to be more comfortable even straight out the box. I am sure once I get them fitted for next season they will be very good!

Now I am getting back to the new skiboards project

Have a few more questions for people with more experience than me.

First regarding the Sticky Icky and the Crossbows. How would the bigger turn radius feel when riding? The Heads now have an insanely small radius 4 meters. I guess when carving I don't need that short turns, and the 7 and 8 meters of those skiboards should be fine. How does it affect the ride otherwise? I am not an expert in skis and their geometry and stuff, so I really have no idea. Would they be less maneuverable in all aspects? I.e. when skidding around? I love the ability to turn them immediately in any direction and the super easy pivoting, would I loose some of that with the Sticky Icky and especially the longer Crossbows?

Then the riser plate and the bindings. This site offers "pro sport riser" and "pro prime plus riser", while Spruce's site only mentions "pro riser". I cannot figure out what the difference is? And the bindings offered along on the two sites are different. How should I choose? If I get the cheapest option would it be enough for me (if I don't need gripwalk)?
          So I wanted to comment starting on the Head 94cm myself. I am currently on the DLPs which are 110cm. If you are looking for something very similar but a little more stable, the SII will be your boards. Those and the Revolts are a great 104/105cm option. I can't talk up the DLP's enough, but if you have the money, get both. If you are only getting one, the SII will be welcomed from what you are currently on.

Just wait until you get the boots completely fitted. They will feel amazing. I have recently gotten a pair of Fischer Vacuum boots and they are like bedroom slippers now that they have been molded.

Best of luck on your search.

Comment

^^
            Fischers were super comfortable to be, as I wrote earlier, unfortunately didn't have my size in the model I wanted.

Thanks for clarifying the riser confusion, so it's the same plate , but with different bindings. As I'm fairly leightweight and currently ride at DIN 7, I can get lightweight DIN10 bindings - they should be sufficient for my skiing.

Based on what I've read I'd probably slightly prefer the SII , but then the Crossbows package price is a very good deal. In any case I need to wait for next season stock, unless something interesting pops up second hand.

Comment

Hello everyone! A few months ago you helped me clear my mind a bit before getting my first high - end skiboards and now is the time to actually buy them!

I had shortlisted Crossbows and SII , and maybe Spliffs. Now that all new models are available , I am leaning towards the Crossbows mostly because they offer the best price together with the riser – considering I am paying shipping to Europe, 20% VAT and customs. The crossbows is also praised to be a great all mountain board, good on ice, powder, and good for a whole week of big mountain skiing (Sölden in Austria this year!). So if I have one pair it makes sense to be this one?

My plan is to get the Crossbows + risers now and next year maybe buy some Spliffs (boards only) or perhaps something even shorter, which I can use in the park etc?

Crossbows + risers will come at about 525 Euro. SII or Spliffs will be a 100 eur more at least... Otherwise I love the Spliffs cleaner graphics. Once i have the riser, I can get rvl8 boards only from within Europe for a decent price.

So please either reassure me I am making the right decision, or convince me I am not

P.S. The before mentioned Eman Uprise are available again , price is about 350 eur with direct mounted bindings, but I am pretty sure I prefer to spend those 150 extra and get crossbows plus the versatile riser....

Comment

Hello everyone! A few months ago you helped me clear my mind a bit before getting my first high - end skiboards and now is the time to actually buy them!

I had shortlisted Crossbows and SII , and maybe Spliffs. Now that all new models are available , I am leaning towards the Crossbows mostly because they offer the best price together with the riser – considering I am paying shipping to Europe, 20% VAT and customs. The crossbows is also praised to be a great all mountain board, good on ice, powder, and good for a whole week of big mountain skiing (Sölden in Austria this year!). So if I have one pair it makes sense to be this one?

My plan is to get the Crossbows + risers now and next year maybe buy some Spliffs (boards only) or perhaps something even shorter, which I can use in the park etc?

Crossbows + risers will come at about 525 Euro. SII or Spliffs will be a 100 eur more at least... Otherwise I love the Spliffs cleaner graphics. Once i have the riser, I can get rvl8 boards only from within Europe for a decent price.

So please either reassure me I am making the right decision, or convince me I am not

P.S. The before mentioned Eman Uprise are available again , price is about 350 eur with direct mounted bindings, but I am pretty sure I prefer to spend those 150 extra and get crossbows plus the versatile riser....
                Pretty cool... I haven't bought any boards myself last season but I've decided to order the new Crossbows as well to Austria .

Comment

Yes ,I think the Crossbows/,riser is an excellent value, and the Crossbows are a great all mountain skiboard choice!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
                  Spliffs
                  Condors
                  Crossbows
                  Sherpa

Boot:
                  K2 BFC 100

Bindings:
                  Zero Pro Non release Binding
                  Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                  Spruce ProPrime Plus Binding/Riser with Attack 13 GW binding
                  Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

You can't go wrong with the Crossbows. They are great!

Skiboards:
                    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                    2018 Spruce Crossbows w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys
                    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by cari66ean View Post

Pretty cool... I haven't bought any boards myself last season but I've decided to order the new Crossbows as well to Austria .
                      I don't live in Austria, I will just go skiing there I live in Bulgaria - the ski resorts here are fine for the weekend, but too small for a full week of skiing so we go to the alps once a year. Last year - Val Gardena, this year it will be Solden.

The crossbows have been ordered and I shall have them in a couple of weeks! ... and I'm already thinking for next season, I would like to get something shorter and stiffer for park, skating and just goofin around

Comment

I had shortlisted Crossbows and SII , and maybe Spliffs. Now that all new models are available , I am leaning towards the Crossbows mostly because they offer the best price together with the riser – considering I am paying shipping to Europe, 20% VAT and customs. The crossbows is also praised to be a great all mountain board, good on ice, powder, and good for a whole week of big mountain skiing (S�lden in Austria this year!). So if I have one pair it makes sense to be this one?

You are making the right choice. I love the Spliffs, but they require more effort ride when you don't need the float.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
                        X