I can’t latch my new Receptor bindings over my boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can’t latch my new Receptor bindings over my boots

Hello everyone. I’m new to skiboarding. Got into it after stumbling upon TalonSei’s YouTube videos. I ordered RVL8 Revolt Trees 2019 board with Receptor bindings from skiboardsonline.com, and after trying on many pairs of ski boots, I bought a pair of Solomon Xaccess80 boots in a size 30.5. Today I went to Whitetail to try everything out for the first time, and don’t have good luck. The Receptor bindings toe latch seem to be way to short, and won’t latch over the toes of my boots. If I shorten the bindings up to get tension, the toe latch pops back open. If I expand the bindings, they don’t latch at all. Everywhere I’ve read about the Receptor bindings says they work with all types of ski boots and hard shell snowboard boots. Any idea what to do to make this work? Is a longer toe latch required?

Originally posted by highoctane View Post
    Hello everyone. I’m new to skiboarding. Got into it after stumbling upon TalonSei’s YouTube videos. I ordered RVL8 Revolt Trees 2019 board with Receptor bindings from skiboardsonline.com, and after trying on many pairs of ski boots, I bought a pair of Solomon Xaccess80 boots in a size 30.5. Today I went to Whitetail to try everything out for the first time, and don’t have good luck. The Receptor bindings toe latch seem to be way to short, and won’t latch over the toes of my boots. If I shorten the bindings up to get tension, the toe latch pops back open. If I expand the bindings, they don’t latch at all. Everywhere I’ve read about the Receptor bindings says they work with all types of ski boots and hard shell snowboard boots. Any idea what to do to make this work? Is a longer toe latch required?

You're better of using the Spruce Risers with Release bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by solaceiam View Post
      You're better of using the Spruce Risers with Release bindings.
      I picked the Receptor bindings because I don’t want a binding that will release. I’d like to figure out what to do to make what I have work before dumping money on another set of bindings that I really don’t want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it possible for you to post a video of your adjustment process? It seems odd that the receptors won’t fit, and it’s entirely possible it’s the case, but I think people will want to see how it’s being done. The heel bail has to be really low and snug and far back, and the micro adjustment of the toe piece seems like it wouldn’t make the difference between snapping and not snapping with one increment

Comment

Originally posted by Toro View Post
          Is it possible for you to post a video of your adjustment process? It seems odd that the receptors won’t fit, and it’s entirely possible it’s the case, but I think people will want to see how it’s being done. The heel bail has to be really low and snug and far back, and the micro adjustment of the toe piece seems like it wouldn’t make the difference between snapping and not snapping with one increment

I can try and get a video, but regardless of where the bindings are adjusted, the toe latch will close any further than the pic I posted, which is completely vertical. The toe on my boots seems too tall, but they aren’t any taller than any other boot that was in the store.

Comment

The toe of that boot looks higher than typical, perhaps because it seems more sharply angled rather than tapered. If you look at your first picture, the toe is supposed to go into the curved area under the lever on the binding, but the toe is too high. Most of the other Salomon boots on their web site seem to have a toe that is either lower overall or tapers off lower than the X Access 80. It looks like RVL8 might need to look at that and redesign that lever if there are more boots with higher toes like that.

Comment

I can try and get a video, but regardless of where the bindings are adjusted, the toe latch will close any further than the pic I posted, which is completely vertical. The toe on my boots seems too tall, but they aren’t any taller than any other boot that was in the store.
              I agree with Fun Machine here...it looks like the shape, and not necessarily the height of your boot toes might be the issue. For a frame of reference, I snapped my own boots into a pair of receptors. Of course they fit fine, the curvature of the toe clip has ample clearance around the toe allowing it to cam over center nicely. However, if the boot toes were of a more blocky shape (not unlike the shape of steel-toed work boots), I can see where the issue you're having would be possible. DIN specifications address the area of and near the tab where the boot engages release bindings, but there are no uniform standards at all for the upper toe area where you're having this issue.

Not sure what to do about this...there's not really an obvious fix. There's no doubt Greco/SBOL will see this post and figure out a way to make it right with you, but I'm sure you're anxious to try out your new gear asap. For a short-term fix, it would be possible to modify a pair of receptor toe-clips for more clearance, but that could get kind of involved.

Comment

I can’t latch my new Receptor bindings over my boots

Not that this is of immediate help, but the FF Pro bindings have a “set” screw at that back of the toe binding that allows you to adjust for different shapes and sizes of boots. Not sure if this would help on this boot, but just a thought moving forwards.
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Unfortunately there appears to be some boots that are not compatible with the Receptors toe clamp. It must not be many because I haven't had this reported before. I will make a note on the Receptors product page asap. And OP please email me and I'll work with you on returning them if you want to keep the boots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    Not that this is of immediate help, but the FF Pro bindings have a “set” screw at that back of the toe binding that allows you to adjust for different shapes and sizes of boots. Not sure if this would help on this boot, but just a thought moving forwards.
                    That screw is to make some distance between the toe clamp and the boot so you can fit your fingers in, it doesn't change the shape and I'm guessing this boot would have the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                      Unfortunately there appears to be some boots that are not compatible with the Receptors toe clamp. It must not be many because I haven't had this reported before. I will make a note on the Receptors product page asap. And OP please email me and I'll work with you on returning them if you want to keep the boots.

The boots are very comfortable and fit perfect and I’d hate to try and sell them and start the search over. I wasn’t sure if different toe clamps were available. Sounds like that’s not the case, so it sounds like my best option is to just try out the Spruce Pro Prime release bindings and risers. When I get home I’ll get on the desktop website and shoot you an email.

Comment

Odd for Salomon

Sorry to see you are having difficulties, I'm sure Greco will make it right. It is odd that you are having issues with Salomon boots. I and a few of us here have the XPro series and the toe clip actually touches the S metal plate on the front of the boot. Thanks for posting this. Maybe that boot from Salomon has a higher toe box than the others.
                        Skis/Skiboards:
                        2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                        2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                        2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                        2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                        20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                        2012 Salomon SPK 90
                        2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

I wasn’t sure if different toe clamps were available. Sounds like that’s not the case, so it sounds like my best option is to just try out the Spruce Pro Prime release bindings and risers.
                          My Bomber Elite 2 non-release bindings have toe clamps that are shaped like an L with an adjustment screw that sets how far it will close against the toe by about 1/3-1/2 inch. It's hard to tell whether these would work with X Access 80s, but you might be able to find other non-release bindings with different shape toe clamps that could work. The Spruce riser bindings will definitely work. You didn't state your reasons for wanting non-release bindings, but if premature release is one of them you can set the DIN on the Spruce riser binding to the highest value in the range that is appropriate for your skill and style without sacrificing safety. That's what I do, and I've never had them release undesirably.

Comment

Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post
                            My Bomber Elite 2 non-release bindings have toe clamps that are shaped like an L with an adjustment screw that sets how far it will close against the toe by about 1/3-1/2 inch. It's hard to tell whether these would work with X Access 80s, but you might be able to find other non-release bindings with different shape toe clamps that could work. The Spruce riser bindings will definitely work. You didn't state your reasons for wanting non-release bindings, but if premature release is one of them you can set the DIN on the Spruce riser binding to the highest value in the range that is appropriate for your skill and style without sacrificing safety. That's what I do, and I've never had them release undesirably.
                            Premature release is the #1 reason I went with the Receptor bindings. Weight is the other one. I’m willing to give the Pro Prime riser bindings a shot. Once my skill level gets to where I can hit the park with these, will I have issue with the Spruce bindings inadvertently releasing on me on rails and jumps?

Comment

Premature release is the #1 reason I went with the Receptor bindings. Weight is the other one. I’m willing to give the Pro Prime riser bindings a shot. Once my skill level gets to where I can hit the park with these, will I have issue with the Spruce bindings inadvertently releasing on me on rails and jumps?

While I don’t do park, the bindings used on the prime plus (Attack 13s) are some of if not the best on the market. With a high DIN they absolutely should not release prematurely

Comment

Working...
                              X