Updated Thoughts On Regular Condors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Thoughts On Regular Condors?

For the longtime skiboarders here, what are your thoughts on the regular Condors in relation to the current RVL8 lineup?
    I understand the first two models are significantly softer than the more current versions thanks to an earlier thread, but seems like the only mentions of condors since then has been the rockered variety. Curious how feelings around them have changed or haven’t now that the spliffs exist and the rockered condors are clearly king of pow for larger riders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had both the softer and stiff regular Condors. I really liked the soft for softer snow and really liked the stiff on the harder pack. Both versions treated me well when I lived in Minnesota. I eventually sold off the softer version because I preferred the Rockered Condors on soft snow and powder. When I moved out here, I found I didn't care for the stiffer version in the Sierra cement. I just enjoy the rocker/camber/rocker and full rocker boards more. With the rocker/camber/rocker you get the best of both worlds.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I have ridden both the regular Condors (2013 stiff version) and the Spliffs quite a bit now. I love both and it's not a stretch to say that they are both amazing all-mountain skiboards that I would be comfortable taking anywhere. However, it's worth noting I have experienced improved edge hold, float, and crud-busting ability on the Spliffs; not by a huge margin, but by enough that I'm sure it's not just placebo effect. This leaves me wondering who the Condors are for now that the Spliffs have essentially hijacked their role. To me, the only concrete advantage that the Condor still has over the Spliffs is slightly better tail support for those sketchy landings or when you hit a bump the wrong way and you need your skiboard to "catch" you from falling backwards.

Based on these observations, it would seem to me that the Condors are best suited for park riders who prefer a bigger board, and anyone looking for an all-mountain board would be better suited with the Spliff. This is NOT a definite conclusion though, just the experience of one rider. Things to keep in mind:
      1) The diffences I've cited between boards, while noticeable, are not major. There is much overlap between the Condor and Spliff.
      2) My comparison is between the stiff Condor and the Spliff. I have never ridden the soft Condor but it is my understanding that it is quite a different board.
      3) Much of this comes down to personal preference. While there is a huge shift right now towards rockered skiboards, there are still some folks who will prefer the Condor simply for its full cambered profile.

Moral of the story is they are both good and they overlap quite a bit. Can't decide between them? Flip a coin, and no matter which one you get it will perform great for you on the mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by mhealey View Post
        I have ridden both the regular Condors (2013 stiff version) and the Spliffs quite a bit now. I love both and it's not a stretch to say that they are both amazing all-mountain skiboards that I would be comfortable taking anywhere. However, it's worth noting I have experienced improved edge hold, float, and crud-busting ability on the Spliffs; not by a huge margin, but by enough that I'm sure it's not just placebo effect. This leaves me wondering who the Condors are for now that the Spliffs have essentially hijacked their role. To me, the only concrete advantage that the Condor still has over the Spliffs is slightly better tail support for those sketchy landings or when you hit a bump the wrong way and you need your skiboard to "catch" you from falling backwards.

Based on these observations, it would seem to me that the Condors are best suited for park riders who prefer a bigger board, and anyone looking for an all-mountain board would be better suited with the Spliff. This is NOT a definite conclusion though, just the experience of one rider. Things to keep in mind:
        1) The diffences I've cited between boards, while noticeable, are not major. There is much overlap between the Condor and Spliff.
        2) My comparison is between the stiff Condor and the Spliff. I have never ridden the soft Condor but it is my understanding that it is quite a different board.
        3) Much of this comes down to personal preference. While there is a huge shift right now towards rockered skiboards, there are still some folks who will prefer the Condor simply for its full cambered profile.

Moral of the story is they are both good and they overlap quite a bit. Can't decide between them? Flip a coin, and no matter which one you get it will perform great for you on the mountain.
        Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        171cm/190lbs
        Current Favorites:
        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
        Other boards I'm trying:
        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Thanks for the responses sempai and mhealy. Sounds like there’s a lot of overlap between the current stiff Condors and the Spliffs—the Condors being the fully cambered version basically, but not enough performance difference to differentiate—as well as the soft Condors and the Rockered—with the cambered soft Condor being more like a crossover of the Spliffs and RCs.

Sempai, while I love my Spliffs and rocker/camber/rocker, I do worry that full-camber (or larger cambered) boards might get lost. My KTPs/DLPs/Rumspringas are a joy to ride, though admittedly I do like to ride hard if the snow is any kind of firm. That said, R/C/R in the longboards is very intriguing and the Crossbows will be the first thing I add when back in stock.

Comment

I've never ridden Spliffs, but I do have a good bit of experience with the different Condors. I had a pair of the original '08's, which were the softer flex, and I have spent time going back and forth between the newer stiff cambered and the rocked Condors.

The original Condors were amazing, and I can still remember my first day out on them. I had never ridden a set of boards with that much power. The float was incredible, and the long running edge meant huge carves at high speed were easy. Their main weakness was the softer flex, which resulted in me breaking mine. They were also a lot of work to get up on edge, which is one of the reasons I developed the binding setup I now use.

The Rocked Condors were the next step for me, and these took some getting used to. Once I'd adapted to the decreased stability and learned to use the rocker to my advantage, though, these quickly became my go-to boards for a couple seasons. I love tight powdery glades, and these boards kill in those conditions. They have abundant float, but the rocker makes them feel smaller and more maneuverable. They are also a lot less tiring to ride in choppy/variable conditions, due to the fact that the tips just ride up over everything. Their downside is in carving and landings. The lack of a long cambered edge means that even the most meticulously maintained edges won't hold at high speeds. As Jack says, these are "slarving" boards, not carving boards. They are also not the best for landing jumps or drops, especially in soft conditions. The tips that are great at absorbing variable terrain during horizontal movement are also great at sinking you straight down in during vertical movement.

The stiff cambered Condors, on the other hand, are amazing for carving. The stiffer flex makes them even better at high speeds than the originals, especially for larger riders. As has been mentioned, the tails also offer a lot more stability for landing jumps or even drops. They are also great at punching through crusty conditions. The RC's handle this ok, but the cambered Condors are a better option, in my opinion. I also prefer the CC's on really steep terrain because I can ride the tails more effectively.

Really, it comes down to subtly vs power. If I'm going to ride tight trees in powder or sloppy Spring snow, I'll use the Rockered Condors. If I'm riding open glades with steeper slopes and drops or spending a day carving groomers, I'll use the Cambered Condors.

I agree that the rockered and hybrid boards seem to the latest and greatest, and I have no doubt that they perform well. In my mind, however, there will always be a place for the classic designs.
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I really enjoyed Crazyboy-1's take on the Condor series. I really think the very best 110 and below skiboard for deep pow is the Rockered Condor. Great backcountry board as well , but like Tim says I missed the performance on firm snow and in crud busting situations. I really liked a rear set regular stiff condor for general use both in carving and for busting through crud and riding from the rear. I managed to get a 4cm set back using a regular receptor with a modified heel piece that Bill on the forum designed for me to use with touring , and riding set back on a regular Condor was great and allowed me to have almost RC performance in soft and variable snow but also have a board that carved well in firm. It would be great to have a regular Condor with rear inserts like the Spliff has to allow a set back with a Spruce riser. Not necessary at all for the Rockered Condor which seems to work best ridden balanced right from the center rather then off the tails .
              All of this has been in the past for me though. For me riding a rear mounted Spliff was a game changer . Initially I rode the Spliff center but didnt like it in deep snow that way . Setting back my boot using a receptor 4cm using a modified heel piece was fantastic on the Spliff and then I started using a Spliff with custom rear inserts allowing a 4cm set back with a Spruce riser and nice Attack 13 bindings and that has been really nice. For me a rear set Spliff gives me all the advantages of riding a rear set regular Condor but with a floatier rockered tip and a bit more manueverability as it is just slightly narrower. It also turns easier and gets up on edge easier for me then the regular Condor and has near RC performance in soft snow and great crud busting ability as well like the regular Condor. For all these reasons I have come to prefer the Spliff over the Condor series boards..
              It is really nice that this season's Spliffs has the inserts to allow a 3cm set back with the Spruce riser which makes it a really great , versatile skiboard option that kind of combines the best of the Condor series into a new format. This season I have been going back and forth between the narrower and longer Crossbows and the Spliffs and am really torn between them . I do really like both these hybrid cambered , rockered boards. But there is something magical about the 110 fat boy skiboard that is special which I loved with the Condor series and still get with the Spliff and which is missing a bit with the Crossbows.
              Boards :
              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
              Boots
              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
              Bindings:
              Zero Pro Non release Binding
              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

All I can say is wow. These responses have really hit the nail on the head. Regarding what jjue said about 4x4x6 on the condor, I’d love to see that be ubiquitous. I have the first gen Spliffs and they are awesome, and so glad to see the extra inserts into the new model. Basically I started this thread because for some reason the CCs were (and kind of still are) calling my name and was curious how they slotted into the updated lineup

Comment

I have nothing to add, for once The CCs may be the only skiboard I have never ridden!
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

What a coincidence, I happened to just ride the rc and cc back to back last week at Mt hood Meadows. I rode the rc during the day when the snow was wet and soft and switched to the cc after the sun went down. I've been riding Rockered boards for so long, in all conditions (good and bad) I forgot what it was like no not slarve a turn. It was a little off putting at first, I wasn't sure the edge was going to hold I was so used to expecting it not to and compensating. After a few runs it all came back to me and I was tearing up the hard stuff. Really had a great time on boards I hadn't ridden in years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Best pow conditions of the year in the Sierras after the recent big snow storm .....
                      DSC_0031

just got back from Vail riding the Spliff 4cm back on custom inserts with Spruce riser in soft snow and groomers ,
                      I wanted to go way back in time to the original soft first version cambered Condor set back 4cm using Zero non release bindings and ride them in similar pow and groomed snow to see what difference I would notice.....DSC_0033
                      First thing is that the boards have a very similar feel overall but there are differences. Even though the Spliff is not that much smaller then the Condor , the Condor does feel floatier in pow and more stable in variable conditions to me . It just feels significantly bigger then the Spliff in pow. Really nice ride and I do think I prefer the set back soft cambered Condor in deep pow over the Spliff but the difference is not extreme and the Spliff is also very nice. The original soft Condor decambers easily and even though it does not have a rocker , the soft flex and the way it decambers makes it feel like the Spliff in pow. Both boards ride nicely off the tails unlike the Rockered Condor. Carving on groomed snow the Spliff seems signficantly narrower then the Condor even though again the specs are not that much different . I do think the little bit of rocker makes a difference in carving
                      I do prefer carving with the Spliff by a wide margin over the cambered Condor . Just feels quicker edge to edge and easier to get and hold on edge. Overall , I like the Spliff better as a general all arounder but if it is a pow day I may just be reaching for the retro soft cambered Condor.

ps . I am getting old and especially after lunch I did not like bending over to grab that front latch and kind of like just stepping into my Spruce riser , ha ha , but man does a non releaser feel light on your feet !!! even though the Zero was on the heavy side for a non releaser...
                      Boards :
                      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                      Boots
                      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                      Bindings:
                      Zero Pro Non release Binding
                      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Awesome write up, I’ll have to snag one of those first gen condors should they ever come up. Pretty cool graphics too

Comment

Working...
                        X