Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmwiecz
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. Gromit, you're correct, I didn't have on gloves when I tried the quick laces, but I still had a pair at home (ordered online) and I tried them on again with gloves. They are a little easier to tighten up while wearing gloves, but I think I still prefer the BOA system. I appreciate the link to the old discussion about the BOA knobs and binding straps, g.dub. That makes me feel a little better about giving it a whirl with the BOA boots. Maybe I'll hold onto the one quick lace pair as a back-up in case the BOA pair doesn't work out. Not sure why my searches weren't accessing those old threads from years ago. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• g.dub
    replied
    hey dm,
    I couldn't find much commentary on the subject, but I believe the BOA should be fine, riders like Greco and Jjue use the K2 Thraxis and Ride Insaneo boots both with BOA. I did find some pictures of Jjue's boot in his binding which shows where the BOA is in relation to the third strap here: https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...l=1#post139323 Hope that helps, if you much perfer the BOA system, I would go for it!

Originally posted by jjue View Post

Finally the top strap is rotated around to the front and attached, pretty quick operation ... getting out is super easy just three latches need to be snapped open and the straps slide out and you are out in a jiffy . ... ps although I have double side boas , the wings have enough give to fit over the boa dials

Leave a comment:

• Gromit
    replied
    Originally posted by dmwiecz View Post
    Hi all, Reviving this thread for one last question. I tried a couple pairs of the quick lace boots and felt like I was having a hard time getting them tight, so I decided to try the BOA system. I like the system a lot better (seems it would be easier to do in gloves in the cold), but as 1 or 2 people mentioned above, the top binding strap goes directly over top of the BOA knob. Sounds like there are people who have had no problem riding that way? It doesn't seem like it would be uncomfortable or a problem otherwise, but I just want to confirm before I make a final decision about boots. Thanks in advance! [I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm having a hard time getting the search function to work for me tonight.]
    I experimented with soft boots a while back. I had a pair of Salomon Synapse snowboard boots with quick laces. I have small hands and like you, I found it hard to get the boots tight enough as the lace was quite thin so it could slide easily through the loops in the boot. The top end of the lace loop on the inner boot, ran through some plastic tubing. Pulling hard on the laces, even at the part with the plastic tubing on it, hurt the palms of my hands. Then I had an idea. I put my ski gloves on and grabbed the lace loop. I could pull a lot harder on the loop to get the boots tighter. If you have only tried quick lace boots in a shop then I guess that you may not have had your gloves with you?

Last edited by Gromit; 12-01-2016, 04:17 PM. Reason: Added picture of Synapse boot

Leave a comment:

• dmwiecz
    replied
    Hi all, Reviving this thread for one last question. I tried a couple pairs of the quick lace boots and felt like I was having a hard time getting them tight, so I decided to try the BOA system. I like the system a lot better (seems it would be easier to do in gloves in the cold), but as 1 or 2 people mentioned above, the top binding strap goes directly over top of the BOA knob. Sounds like there are people who have had no problem riding that way? It doesn't seem like it would be uncomfortable or a problem otherwise, but I just want to confirm before I make a final decision about boots. Thanks in advance! [I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere. I'm having a hard time getting the search function to work for me tonight.]

Leave a comment:

• dmwiecz
    replied
    Thanks for all of your replies. Very helpful! I forgot the bindings would be men's sizing, so you're right, a medium should work for me.

I'm glad to hear that medium flex boots should work okay. When I read that they should be stiff, I was thinking 8-9-10 flex rating and I really couldn't find much. Glad to hear 5-6-7 range should work.

And thanks so much for the recommendation about the lacing system! I hadn't even gotten far enough to think about that.

I do like the price point of those Burtons, but yes, it looks like they don't have my size. I'll look around elsewhere. Most likely, I'll end up buying online (and checking return policies before I do), so if anybody has any suggestions for online retailers that have a good selection, let me know. Obviously, I'm now aware of snowboards.com and evo.com. I also looked at REI and Amazon, but I'm new to snowboarding equipment, so if there are other good ones out there, feel free to chime in!

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• mary
    replied
    First of all, welcome!

Second, I'll have to check which boots I have once I get home, but for stiffness medium flex should be fine. I believe that's what mine are. I know it's hard to find women's snowboard boots that are stiff for some reason

For the binding size, I think that the shoe sizes listed on the order page are men's sizes, so you can try to convert from that. I'm a size 6.5-7 and I got the medium. I feel like I have plenty of room and I've had guys try them out and they fit them fine, so I feel like the medium would work for you as well.

Also, I'm seconding g.dub about the ripcord (quick-pull) method. That's what my boots have and I like it quite a bit. It's quick and fairly simple. I'd also worry about the boa system being in the way of the modified snowboard bindings, but I've never tried the boa style so I can't judge accurately.

I'll update later with which boots I own.

Edit: These are the boots I have, but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere anymore because they're 3 years old. But I did find out they're actually classified as stiff (8). Do whatever you'll feel comfortable in though! http://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboard-...ma-womens.aspx
    The closest thing to this that Salomon sells currently seems to be Moxie, but they're stupid expensive right now, especially because they're this year's model. If the $80 ones bad wolf posted look good to you, I'd give them a shot. My only concern there is that you said you're a size 8 and they only have up to 7.5.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• g.dub
    replied
    Hey dm, Welcome to the Forum!

I converted over to soft boot bindings a few seasons ago, and riding has never been so comfortable on the feet! The straps and footbed of the snowboard binding are adjustable. Looks like a medium binding would work best for you, the standard is men sizes unless the binding is specifically designed for women. I don't know anything about the line of women boots out there but solid brands are Salomon, K2, Ride. If you have any shops nearby where you can try on boots that would be great for fitting, I got lucky with the one's I ordered, (Salomon Synapse Flex rating 7). I'd recommend atleast a 5 in flex rating, which would be fine for casual riding, the harder you ride the stiffer the boot your going to want, a stiff softboot is still quite soft and comfortable so if you can find one thats a 6 or 7 that would be good. Another note, I really like the ripcord method of tightening boots or laces, BOA systems look as if they'd get in the way of the upper third strap although many users on the forum don't seem to have a problem with them. Hope that helps a bit!

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by dmwiecz View Post
    Hi all,

Getting ready to order my first pair of skiboards (either Allz 94cm or Rvl8 Tansho 90cm with Snowjam/540 snowboard bindings) after being a long time renter. Very excited!

Two questions:

Any suggestions for snowboard boots for women? Do they need to be stiff or is medium stiffness/flex okay? Any specific suggestions? I've found a few women's boots online that are stiff but a large majority seem to be on the soft side.

Secondly, I wear a size 8 women's shoe. Should I order the medium or large bindings?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Welcome.

Generally speaking, the stiffer the boots you get, the more control you will have. My wife uses the Burton Sapphire snowboard boots on her set up. They are listed as a medium flex, but she is fairly petite and finds them to feel much stiffer. The Burtons are a really well made quality boot at a good price. There are lots of boots out there, so these are just a suggestion.

They are on sale here for less than $80(Link)

Leave a comment:

• dmwiecz
    started a topic Snowboard Boots for Women?

Snowboard Boots for Women?

Hi all,

Getting ready to order my first pair of skiboards (either Allz 94cm or Rvl8 Tansho 90cm with Snowjam/540 snowboard bindings) after being a long time renter. Very excited!

Two questions:

Any suggestions for snowboard boots for women? Do they need to be stiff or is medium stiffness/flex okay? Any specific suggestions? I've found a few women's boots online that are stiff but a large majority seem to be on the soft side.

Secondly, I wear a size 8 women's shoe. Should I order the medium or large bindings?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Working...
X