A question about bindings and risers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mary View Post
    Thank you all for your help my next question is this: is there a place I can buy JUST the risers?
    The short answer is no.

Spruce risers are engineered, fabricated and set up to accept certain specific brand/models of bindings. Mounting alternate bindings could present safety concerns, that's why, to my knowledge, they've never been sold as a DIY kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorterthanlife View Post
      Here in Europe we don't have dealer of the Spruce riser system but I found a similar system made by Eman on the Czech webshop for skiboarding (which apparently represents skiboarding in Europe as I haven't found anything else).

Technical details:
      New Eman Skiboard Plate consists from 2 hardened Alloy plates and pair of reliable Head SX bindings.
      That Eman riser looks like a simple aluminum bar drilled 4x4. I'd be leery of something like that bending and taking a set with any kind of aggressive riding.

I made a similar thing years ago for demo bindings and, you guessed it, it bent and took a set. Without some kind of reinforcement (like the channel design on Spruce risers) it's hard to imagine a flat bar design holding up. I do believe SBOL ships to Europe if you are interested in going that route.

Comment

As mentioned, the risers are pre-drilled to accept specific bindings. Other bindings would have different hole patterns and might not fit. SBOL/Spruce typically would not sell you the risers only, without bindings. What bindings did your fiancé buy? The current Risers fit only specific Tyrolia bindings (maybe others too with little or no modification, while others might not fit at all without some more significant modification needed). Can he return the bindings to the store and buy a set from Spruce/SBOL?

If he's handy, he could try and make a DIY riser. I'm making one to mount my own bindings, but it requires precision drilling and some not inexpensive drill bits, so it might be cheaper to just buy the Riser with bindings... Plus, the workmanship and parts on the Spruce riser is superb and likely to not have problems (something I'm not at all sure my DIY version could boast). Or find a used set with bindings and sell your bindings. There is a pair of skiboards with risers and bindings on eBay currently, which is cheaper than just the riser and bindings alone would be new - get it, keep the riser, sell the boards if you don't like them.

Thank you all for your help my next question is this: is there a place I can buy JUST the risers? I believe I convinced my fiance that he should use them, but he already purchased bindings.

Comment

Hmm...okay. That's kinda unfortunate. I know he was worried about the DIN settings on the ones sold here. We'll see.

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
          There is a pair of skiboards with risers and bindings on eBay currently, which is cheaper than just the riser and bindings alone would be new - get it, keep the riser, sell the boards if you don't like them.
          Do you happen to have a link to this?

Comment

Hmm...okay. That's kinda unfortunate. I know he was worried about the DIN settings on the ones sold here. We'll see.

Do you happen to have a link to this?
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/371498280412...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What worries him about the DIN?

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
              Thanks. And he's a big guy, and unless we want to spend $400 (we don't) we'd be getting the ones I got, which have a max DIN of 10. He read this chart and it tells him that 10 is for beginners through intermediates for heavier children and light adults. He's neither.
              I'll post a screenshot of the chart when I get the chance.

Comment

Thanks. And he's a big guy, and unless we want to spend $400 (we don't) we'd be getting the ones I got, which have a max DIN of 10. He read this chart and it tells him that 10 is for beginners through intermediates for heavier children and light adults. He's neither.
                I'll post a screenshot of the chart when I get the chance.
                Mary - Something is not right if that is what the chart says. Take a look at this simple generic DIN calculation tool: http://www.dinsetting.com

Comment

Very cool...

^^ Thanks for posting that.

Shawn
                  171cm/190lbs
                  Current Favorites:
                  RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                  Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                  Other boards I'm trying:
                  Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Well, I just recieved mine, and convinced him to order a set from here as well. Thank you guys for all your help

Comment

is there any difference or is it just preference between the summit riser kit (http://summitskiboards.com/product/s...for-skiboards/) and the RVL8 Missouri risers (http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl...ririser.html)?
                      2019 BluntXLs
                      540 Team Stark bindings with RVL8 softboot upgrade

Comment

A question about bindings and risers

Originally posted by cj4soccer View Post
                        is there any difference or is it just preference between the summit riser kit (http://summitskiboards.com/product/s...for-skiboards/) and the RVL8 Missouri risers (http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl...ririser.html)?
                        It's a whole world of difference in design, construction and quality, which ultimately affects your ride.

Go with the Missouri Riders.
                        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                        X