Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selva di Val Gardena, Italy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Selva di Val Gardena, Italy

    My ski Club is planning a trip to Selva di Val Gardena, Italy next year. All I've heard is:

    The Europe trip this year will be to Selva di Val Gardena, Italy from January 11- 19 with an optional 3 day extension to Florence. I don't have the price yet but it is usually about $2100 to $2300. Includes RT air from Chicago, daily breakfast and dinner but no lift tickets.

    I have the impression that Italy may have some of the best green groomers in the world that go on and on almost forever.

    Have any of you ever been there?

  • #2
    It's not only the slopes, it's the whole Italian lifestyle thing. Fabulous food and evening meals that go on and on, real coffee, and of course, the wine. But be warned, make sure your ski wear is well cut and matching, your sunglasses are expensive, and you carry at least 2 cell phones at all times.
    Selva is the Sella Ronda area in the Dolomites and the scenery is stunning. It can be a little sketchy for snow cover though. The lift system is Olympic and as you say, it is mainly a cruising area. If you have not skied Europe b4 you will be shocked by now big this ski area is.

    Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

    Comment


    • #3
      The only other places I've skied in Europe are Tignes and Val-disere in France.

      A couple of years ago went to Sun Valley, Idaho and that place is the most high-brow resort I've been to. Even the lodges on the mountain where you eat lunch is out of this world, the foray in front of the bathrooms have marble floors and huge plush Persian rugs to keep people from slipping. I assume Davos would be similar to Sun Valley. Every year World leaders meet up at Davos and the wealthiest business people meet up in Sun Valley.

      My High School sweetheart was Northern Italian. So the culture would be very interesting to me. Her family went to great lengths explaining the culinary differences between Northern and Southern Italians.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by shortydude View Post
        I have the impression that Italy may have some of the best green groomers in the world that go on and on almost forever.
        Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        But be warned, make sure your ski wear is well cut and matching, your sunglasses are expensive, and you carry at least 2 cell phones at all times.
        That... sounds like my idea of hell. Except for the food, coffee and wine part.

        Then again, I'm stubbornly proud of my 5-year old flip phone and finally replaced my 20-year-old helmet...


        It does sound like it's going to be a pretty enjoyable trip though. Do your club do a trip overseas every year? Must be fun!

        I'm itching to check out Hokkaido one of these years.
        Make Skiboarding Sexy Again

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Steeps View Post
          Do your club do a trip overseas every year?
          Yes, there's always a Winter European trip and sometimes a Summer Southern hemisphere trip. There's also always a late winter Warm Weather trip to some place like Cancun, Cabo, Dominican Republic, St Bart etc. Throw in 3 or 4 big Western trips and a few Midwest trips for a nice balance of options.

          My club is active all year round.
          First Friday of each month they meet at different establishments for Happy Hour.
          Monthly house parties, members take turns hosting.
          Annual traditional parties like Christmas, St. Patrick's, 4th July, trip sign-up party and a Jimmy Buffet overnight bonfire.
          Every weekend they try to get together for an activity such as biking, in-line skating, canoing, camping, cross-country skiing, golf, frizbee golf, softball and even curling.

          It's a fun group. No body gets up tight. Everyone just loves to laugh, giggle and enjoy life.

          We get good deals on trips because we belong to the Chicago Metropolitan Ski Counsel. Most ski clubs within about a 300 mile radius of Chicago belong to CMSC. Every spring CMSC puts on a huge convention where they invite every resort in the world to come and set up a booth. Then all the individual clubs send delegates to the convention and shop for trips to go on the next year. Resorts compete head-to-head for $ that's going to be spent somewhere, so they offer the best deals possible.

          Check out this map of all the clubs that belong to CMSC, that's a lot of purchasing power.
          http://www.skicmsc.com/_ClubMap.cfm

          If some other club has a trip you want to go on, the vast majority of clubs are very welcoming and are glad to fill seats. If you don't belong to a club that has a reciprocal clause, you may have to spend $25 to join their club.

          When you basically live with people for a week at a time on these trips, you form some really great friendships.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shortydude View Post
            The only other places I've skied in Europe are Tignes and Val-disere in France.

            A couple of years ago went to Sun Valley, Idaho and that place is the most high-brow resort I've been to. Even the lodges on the mountain where you eat lunch is out of this world, the foray in front of the bathrooms have marble floors and huge plush Persian rugs to keep people from slipping. I assume Davos would be similar to Sun Valley. Every year World leaders meet up at Davos and the wealthiest business people meet up in Sun Valley.

            My High School sweetheart was Northern Italian. So the culture would be very interesting to me. Her family went to great lengths explaining the culinary differences between Northern and Southern Italians.
            Well, if do consider coming, then tack on a couple of extra days, fly over Toulouse/Barcelona at the end of the trip and come skiboard in Andorra.

            Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
            '18 Spruce Crossbow 115 + Spruce Pro Prime risers (Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings) [goto]
            '18 Spruce Osprey 13- + Ambition bindings plate-mounted [touring]

            '15 Spruce Osprey 130 + Ambition bindings + backcountry riser [touring]
            '12 Rockered Condor 110 + Spruce Pro Sport risers

            '14 K2 Pinnacle Boots
            '10 Spruce 120 + Spruce Pro Jr risers
            '13 Eman Uprise 104 + Custom Riser & SP100 bindings
            '11 Allz Elaila 94

            Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Salomon RS80 boots


            Comment


            • #7
              Here's some of the strangest skiing pics you'll ever see. There must be something seriously wrong with me to be so fascinated. This is the men's restroom at the Sun Valley Broadway Summit Lodge. I should have taken one of the thick Persian rugs on the marble floors just outside the bathrooms in a huge seating area.


              These are the individual stall doors.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Water Closets.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	245334

              Click image for larger version

Name:	SV WC Brass and Marble.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	245335

              Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Brass N Marble Urinals.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	245333

              Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Bathroom Sinks.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	245332

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                Well, if do consider coming, then tack on a couple of extra days, fly over Toulouse/Barcelona at the end of the trip and come skiboard in Andorra.
                I'll look into it. I'd rather do that then a couple days in Florance.

                Comment

                Working...
                X