Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Coast Winter Stoke, El Nino's Back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Coast Winter Stoke, El Nino's Back!

Well I'm pretty proud of my first day ever on skiboards (or any kind of ski for that matter). The gap in the top left when the gps cut out was when I was sliding down the hill backwards (I think I hit my average speed doing that).

Solitude, UT

Originally posted by Sponge View Post

Well I'm pretty proud of my first day ever on skiboards (or any kind of ski for that matter). The gap in the top left when the gps cut out was when I was sliding down the hill backwards (I think I hit my average speed doing that).

Solitude, UT
    Great job. Solitude is one of our favorites, Sempai broke 60 mph there last year on his Blunt XLs.

A couple of us should be riding in the Cottonwoods starting March 17th. Come join us.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Hey Sponge you ever make it out to ParkCity? The place could definitely use another skiboarder.
      Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
      Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
      Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

Originally posted by kyu View Post
        Hey Sponge you ever make it out to ParkCity? The place could definitely use another skiboarder.
        Haven't been for a while. Cottonwood resorts are easier for me to get to, cheaper, and less crowded so I stick to them. Mostly Solitude/Brighton but also Snowbird.

Bad Wolf: Gonna be in Zion then, but let me know next time you're up here.

Comment

Haven't been for a while. Cottonwood resorts are easier for me to get to, cheaper, and less crowded so I stick to them. Mostly Solitude/Brighton but also
          Sounds good. I'll let you know if/when I head up the Cottonwoods
          Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
          Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
          Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

Haven't been for a while. Cottonwood resorts are easier for me to get to, cheaper, and less crowded so I stick to them. Mostly Solitude/Brighton but also Snowbird.

Bad Wolf: Gonna be in Zion then, but let me know next time you're up here.
            That will be the last weekend of January next year for Westfest 2017 !

Comment

How will skiing be in the second half of March there? I am thinking of getting a week off from the 17th or the week after and go skiing somewhere with my daughter. I've never skied in Utah or anywhere else for that matter other than on the East Coast. Given the El Niño season, what is the weather like there vs. say Arizona or Colorado?

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              A couple of us should be riding in the Cottonwoods starting March 17th. Come join us.

Comment

I've been coming to SLC for about 17 years, mostly in the Spring (March, April, May), and the conditions have usually been great. This year Dec and Jan were great but a horrible Feb. Last year was pretty bad until mid April when there was a major dumping.
                Despite a bad Feb, there's a good base right now with a good snow forecast for next week so I don't think you'll have much to worry about.

http://www.wasatchsnowforecast.com

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
                Probably need a new thread for this, but here it goes: how will skiing be in the second half of March there? I am thinking of getting a week off from the 17th or the week after and go skiing somewhere with my daughter. I've never skied in Utah or anywhere else for that matter other than on the East Coast. Given the El Niño season, what is the weather like there vs. say Arizona or Colorado?

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
                  Probably need a new thread for this, but here it goes: how will skiing be in the second half of March there? I am thinking of getting a week off from the 17th or the week after and go skiing somewhere with my daughter. I've never skied in Utah or anywhere else for that matter other than on the East Coast. Given the El Niño season, what is the weather like there vs. say Arizona or Colorado?
                  Sempai said Tahoe was supposed to get 5-10 feet in the next several weeks. . . Maybe that is an option? I was just in SLC and the skiing was great, but they definitely need a refresh of snow. There were a few days when the temperatures did not get high enough to soften the snow much, so some of the conditions were similar to the ice coast conditions (albeit with much larger terrain and much better scenery)

Comment

The Cottonwood resorts have faired the best in the recent heatwave because of their elevation and northerly exposure. Park City, Snowbasin and Powder Mountain have really suffered with a daily freeze/melt cycle. Sunday should see a significant drop in temperatures with about a foot of new snow. A good sign that the high pressure ridge is finally moving out. I think conditions by mid March will be fantastic. They have a great base and this new storm cycle is just what we need. It's always tough to predict the weather, but I'm looking forwards to my trip on the 17th.

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                      Sempai said Tahoe was supposed to get 5-10 feet in the next several weeks
                      It's actually 5-10 feet in the next couple of weeks.

This was the forecast from yesterday:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/0...t-this-weekend

This one is from today. It's already backing off the storm totals, so 5-10 feet sounds highly unlikely. It's too early to say what we'll get. Anything will help. We've been warm and dry most of Feb.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/0...t-this-weekend
                      Boards/Bindings:
                      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Just when you thought winter was over, the West is about to get slammed by the storm of the century. Dropping temperatures and five to ten feet of snow over the next week should hit the reset button for us and revitalize the season. Tahoe is taking the brunt of the storm, but Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming and the PNW should all benefit from this change in the weather.

Sempai and I are planning the ski the Cottonwood resorts from March 17th through to the 20th. I'm sure the amazing Kyu will join us as well. There are some great spring deal out there right now to take advantage of. So, come out and join us.

With the news of the storm, several conversation have popped up in other threads causing unwanted drift. So lets use this thread to report on conditions and plan some great skiing before the season end.

Comment

Speaking of great deals, can we share?

Speaking of great deals, can we share? Here's what I've found so far: the superpass

http://www.visitsaltlake.com/skicity/super-pass

From that page there are also links on top right to hotel deals, many include fee superpasses, but I haven't checked availability and exact pricing yet...

Where do you guys stay? I want something with a pool for after skiing or if we skip a day (mainly for my daughter).

Comment

We booked through with the Country Inn in Sandy. The deal is four nights at the hotel, with breakfast and a pool, and four days skiing at the Cottonwood resorts. Based on double occupancy, it came out to about $500 per person. Considering a four day Superpass is $300, it gives you very good quality accommodation for $50 a night.

Comment

Do you think a rental car is a good idea (4x4, maybe)? Or the shuttle busses do a fine job? Did you get a pick-up from/drop-off to the airport with that deal?

Comment

Working...
                              X