Midwest Meet 2015 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Meet 2015 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Oh hey, check out this video hot off the press from Midwest Meet 5.2 / Back to Bohemia!

Huge thanks to our new friends Jake and John. As you can see, they made their first trip to Bohemia a smash success.

Guess what?! It's that time again! The SIXTH! annual Midwest Meet will be held January 23 - 25 at Mount Bohemia, MI (in the Upper Peninsula).

Did I mention Bohemia got an epic 351 inches of snow last season?

Mount Bohemia's Website: http://mtbohemia.com/

"Mount Bohemia has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest. Bohemia is all-natural, and has no problem without snow guns. The average snowfall in the Keweenaw is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. Bohemia's two new sections; the Outer limits has 100+ acres of inbounds backcountry skiing with 17 new runs even longer and trickier than before."

When?
    You know the drill! Same weekend we know and love. January 23 - 25 (riding Friday - Sunday).

Lodging
    We will be staying on site again this year in the yurts. If we have more than 9 we can supplement with cabins, but we need to know you’re coming in advance! On site lodging does sell out, so don’t wait until the last minute. The best part is we take care of the reservations and you just paypal us your payment to reserve your spot. No thinking, no organizing, just get there! More info about lodging and payments to follow.

When you're ready to reserve your spot, check out post #3. When you send your payment, choose "Send to Friends and Family" to avoid the Paypal fee

Lift Tickets
    Every year Bohemia has a $99 season pass sale on the first Saturday in December. Several of us have taken advantage of this, which works out to be a great deal for riding three days. Several of us have also made a second trip back later in the season. Another option is to purchase lift tickets each day for around $50. As of last season, Bohemia had a credit/debit card only policy, so you'll want to keep that in mind when making your decision.

Schedule
    Friday
    - Arrive at Bohemia
    - Ride
    - Pot luck dinner

Saturday
    - Breakfast (included when you stay onsite)
    - Ride all day
    - Dinner in Houghton

Sunday
    - Breakfast (included when you stay onsite)
    - Ride all day
    - Depart after riding or just decide to stay forever

Carpools
    Minneapolis, MN area: Courtney - Driving from Minneapolis. Room for 2 people, can pick up from Minneapolis airport (MSP).
    Carpoolees: Brick, Patrick
    Arriving in Houghton on Thursday, January 22 - staying at Super 8

Green Bay, WI area: Andrew - Driving from Green Bay area.
    Carpoolees: Tim, Nick
    Arriving at Bohemia Friday, January 23 around noon

Madison, WI area: Jake & John - Driving from Madison area.

Detroit, MI area: Sam - Driving from Mount Clemens, MI (Metro Detroit) space for 1 or 3 people.
    Carpoolees: Still available
    Arriving in Houghton on Thursday, January 22 - staying at Super 8

Who else is driving? Let us know and I'll add you here!

Feel free to contact Courtney or adeehr directly for more information.

Who's coming?
    We'd like to get a list going of "definitelys" and "maybes". Please post and let us know where you belong and we'll add you to the list. Bonus points for making the definitely list before December... but only if you definitely show up!

Definitely!
    Courtney - PAID
    Andrew (adeehr) - PAID
    Tim (crazyboy-1) - PAID
    Brick (ElkCloner) - PAID
    Sam (MoltenCore) - PAID
    Marshall (Maverick) - PAID
    Getoffmecrab (Patrick) - PAID
    New Tyler (tphelps927) - PAID
    Local George (g.dub) - LOCAL
    Jack (jackschmid) - OFF SITE
    Nick S (jack's friend) - OFF SITE
    Jake (jake.newhouse) - OFF SITE
    John (Bikeplatt) - OFF SITE
    YOUR NAME HERE!

Maybe?
    Jare (jare_ball248)
    Nick (ZwingZ)
    YOUR NAME HERE!

If you're hoping to make it let us know and we'll put you on the list!

While you contemplate, check out the great times we've had over the years: Midwest Meet Playlist

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Q: Bohemia's website says "experts only" - should I consider coming?
    A: Yes! As long as you're comfortable riding in trees and quickly turning both directions, you'll be fine at Mount Bohemia. The mountain is 100% natural, so some experience in powder riding / variable conditions is a plus, but not required. Regardless of your riding level, no one will be left behind.

Q: Do I need to wear a helmet?
    A: A helmet is highly recommended. Riding in trees makes for variable conditions and we don't want anyone to sustain any serious injuries.

Q: What should I bring?
    A: Great question! Here's a helpful list.

Things you need to bring to Bohemia (or you’re gonna have a bad time)

General:
    - A credit / debit card (cash is not accepted at Bohemia)
    - Printed confirmation of buying your season pass (just in case you're not on their list)
    - An ID to prove who you are
    - Sleeping bag (or a few blankets)
    - Pillow
    - Towel (someone always forgets this)
    - Soap, shampoo, deodorant
    - Printed directions to get to Bohemia (your GPS is probably going to bring you someplace other than Mount Bohemia)
    - Health insurance cards (not a bad idea to carry these on you while riding, just in case)

Riding:
    - Skiboards (bring an extra set if possible)
    - Bindings
    - Boots
    - Leashes
    - Helmet (we don’t want you to die)
    - Goggles
    - Jacket
    - Snow pants
    - Layers (the more the better)
    - Gloves / mittens
    - Ski socks
    - Something to cover your face

Things you might want to bring to Bohemia (but probably wouldn’t die without)

- Hand warmers / foot warmers if you get cold when it's cold (sometimes these are hard to find in Houghton, depending on how cold it's been)
    - Camera, GoPro, etc
    - Chargers for your devices
    - Boots to carry stuff through deep snow in (to get to the yurt)
    - Food, beverages, snacks
    - Extra outerwear in case you get really wet or something
    - Wax, iron, etc (I'll bring mine, usually a few other people do too)
    - A backpack to carry stuff on the hill (if you're into that)

Pro Tips:

- Don't go in the ditch (you're going to be in the middle of nowhere)
    - Don't lose your wallet or car keys (this has happened)
    - Wax your boards before the trip
    - Cellphones don't typically work very well at Bohemia, so be prepared for that
    - If you'd like a copy of footage shot from various cameras, bring an external hard drive (ideally something Mac or FAT32 formatted)
    - The wifi sucks at best, get your Netflix bingeing done before you come

Courtney, another great video! It looks like you had wonderful weather for 5.2. Watching this really makes me want to attend again. If I stick it out in the Midwest this winter, I'm going to try and make it up to the meet.

That explains it. I was wondering why Tim was riding KTPs instead of riding his usual RCs, but then I watched the video a second time and read where the airline sent his boards to FL. I didn't catch that the first time around.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Noting for next year. Rick (Joey's waiter who wants to be scheduled when we are coming. Call a week ahead of time to verify he's on the schedule. Apparently we are awesome)
      Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
        Courtney, another great video! It looks like you had wonderful weather for 5.2. Watching this really makes me want to attend again. If I stick it out in the Midwest this winter, I'm going to try and make it up to the meet.

That explains it. I was wondering why Tim was riding KTPs instead of riding his usual RCs, but then I watched the video a second time and read where the airline sent his boards to FL. I didn't catch that the first time around.
        We'd love to have you join us again Scott! I'll put you on the maybe list for now.

Tim's RCs went on quite the adventure while he was at Bohemia

Comment

Count me in, I've been looking forward to Mount Bohemia for a while now.

I'll most probably be driving from Mount Clemens MI (Metro Detroit) and depending on which car I'll be driving I might have space for 1 or 3 people.
          Id rather take the CRZ "2 seater" for better gas mileage although it's not the most comfortable "cramped" if you're 6.2 ft or taller.
          Boards:
          RVL8 2012 Rockered Condor 110cm
          RVL8 2011 Kirk Thompson Pro "KTP" 101cm
          RVL8 2012 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
          RVL8 2007 ALP 110cm

Bindings:
          Bomber Elite2
          RVL8 2014 Receptor "Black"
          Spruce Composite Riser

Boots:
          Nordica Ace of Spades 2013

Comment

Awesome! I'll add your name to the list and get the details in the car pool section.

Comment

Count me in!

Might have a friend too.

Comment

Yay!

Comment

I will plan to follow my usual routine of riding up with Andrew. I call shotgun.
                  RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

hell yes

Yes!!

Haven't decided to work the mont ripper or not this year so no guarantees there as of now.

Comment

meeeeeeeeeee

Comment

ill be lodging with my buddy

Comment

I'll be there

Comment

Nice! Just updated the list

Comment

Lodging information updated in post 3 https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...l=1#post144791

Let me know if you have questions.
                              Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                              X