Midwest Meet 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Meet 2012

The third annual Midwest Meet will once again be held at Mount Bohemia, MI (in the Upper Peninsula)

Bohemia's Website: http://mtbohemia.com/

"Mount Bohemia has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest. Bohemia is all-natural, and has no problem without snow guns. The average snowfall in the Keweenaw is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. Bohemia's two new sections; the Outer limits has 100+ acres of inbounds backcountry skiing with 17 new runs even longer and trickier than before."

When?
    Last year the Midwest Meet was held January 22-24th. The weather was cold, but the backcountry riding kept us plenty warm. Conditions were perfect, and we found a ton of untouched powder.

Based on the poll results we will have the 2012 Midwest Meet from January 20 - 22.

Lodging
    Each year we reserve cabins at the base of the mountain. Each cabin has a bathroom and sleeps four (two bunkbeds). These have worked out well and were very affordable.

Below is a 'buy now' button to pay for your lodging. You can either do it that way or Paypal Andrew Deehr (adeehr) the $86.30 directly for lodging to: altrealitygames@yahoo.com Please include your forum name in the payment so Andrew can make sure he has the right person. We know most of your real names, but want to make sure we mark the right people paid.

Again we are requesting more than may be needed, so we may have a refund/I'll buy food option ahead of us.

Lift Tickets

Last year several of us took advantage of the $99 season pass deal which worked out really well. Otherwise you can purchase lift tickets each day for around $50. If you plan to arrive earlier and ride Friday, definitely check into the season pass deal.

Carpools
    Minneapolis, MN: Courtney - Driving from Minneapolis. Picking up Marshall and possibly Dennis and Graham at the Minneapolis airport.

Green Bay, WI area: Andrew - Driving from Green Bay area, room for a couple people. Picking up Tim at the Milwaukee airport.

Milwaukee, WI area: Nick - Driving from Milwaukee, room for a couple people.

Detroit, MI area: Nolan - Driving from Detroit area, room for a couple people.

If you're planning to drive and are willing to carpool let me know and I'll add your information here.

Feel free to contact Courtney or adeehr for more information.

From Last Year

View Last year's thread

Some photos from last year: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=4bc69a607e

(don't need to have facebook to view)

Schedule:

January 20 (Friday)
    Arrive / Ride (depending on when you arrive)
    Cook Out
    Stay in Cabins

January 21 (Saturday)
    Ride
    Eat Dinner in Town
    Stay in Cabins

January 22 (Sunday)
    Ride
    Head home at the end of the day

Who's coming?
    We'd like to get a tentative list going of confirmed and maybes. Please post and let us know if you're maybe coming or definitely coming and we'll add you to the list.

Definitely!
    Courtney
    Tim (CrazyBoy-1)
    Nolan (nolhay)
    Marshall (Mavrick)
    Andrew (adeehr)
    Nick (ZwingZ)
    Scott (sempai)

Hopefully
    Brian (bec2745)
    Graham
    Dennis (DennisEvans)

If you're hoping to make it let us know and we'll put you here.
    January 6 - 8
    0.00%
    January 13 - 15 (16th=MLK day)
    0.00%
    January 20 - 22
    58.33%
    January 27 - 29
    25.00%
    February 3 -5
    8.33%
    February 10 - 12
    8.33%

I am of course a definite again. I would prefer the 1/20-22 weekend simply because it gives me a whole month before ShredFest IV. This worked very well last season. Speaking of ShredFest, I'm very interested in hitting Bohemia after Tahoe this time. I would have loved to do it las time, but my schedule was too set. Marshall may also be able to do this.

As far as travel to the Midwest Meet itself, I'd like to fly in and catch a ride with you as opposed to driving the whole way out again. This may change if more east coast riders decide to come out, and we can get a good carpool set up. For now though, I'll plan to fly in.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Awesome, we're glad you'll be able to make it Tim. I'd love to make it back to Bohemia as well. I agree on the date of Jan 20 - 22. Last year that ended up being a really great time to go, and the extra space from Shredfest is definitely a plus.

Comment

I'm in. Definite. Anyone that want's to carpool from Detroit to Bohemia. The plan right now is to leave 6AM on Friday, this could change and I could be staying in Houghton Thursday night into Friday, especially if the roads are a little snowy. In that case I would be leaving around Thursday Morning 8 or 9AM, anyone who wants to is welcome to stay at my place, I have extra sleeping arrangements and I'm a half hour away from metro. I'll have my blazer and I can do the Sat. night drive from Bohemia to dinner again.

Comment

Hopefully that drive into town won't be an ice rink of snowmobile tracks this time

Comment

Courtney, If you've got the room, I'd love to fly in and hitch a ride in with you.

Comment

Lodging

I am going to reserve this post for lodging details.
              Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Of course I'm in too. When we have dates we can look at airfare to different locations to see the best price with drivers en route. I am not cooking for everyone at every meal this year....because I need to ride this year. Knee feels mostly better so I won't hold out this winter. I still plan to grill Friday night.
                Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

Comment

Originally posted by adeehr View Post
                  Of course I'm in too. When we have dates we can look at airfare to different locations to see the best price with drivers en route. I am not cooking for everyone at every meal this year....because I need to ride this year. Knee feels mostly better so I won't hold out this winter. I still plan to grill Friday night.
                  Knee - good
                  not making awesome food - FU

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrick View Post
                    Courtney, If you've got the room, I'd love to fly in and hitch a ride in with you.
                    Of course! It's a bit of a drive still, but I have a feeling flying into some of the closer smaller airports might get a bit expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                      Of course! It's a bit of a drive still, but I have a feeling flying into some of the closer smaller airports might get a bit expensive.
                      Yea the closest airport to me on the way is Green Bay. I can't imagine you'd get to it early enough in the am for me to pick you up and still make it to the hill with day light, then again I have been wrong before....I just can't remember when...

Comment

It's hard for me to plan that far ahead, but I really want to attend. If I do, I'll make sure to rest up this time and not overdue it before I get there. I imagine I'll hit up a couple other U.P. hills beforehand, take a day off to rest, and then be at Bohemia first thing Friday morning to ride. I hope we have another winter season with plenty of snow, just like last year's.
                        Boards/Bindings:
                        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                          8 hours is a lot of time for epicness. Think positive, positively!

Comment

Originally posted by adeehr View Post
                            I'll make the breakfast Tacos!

Comment

Originally posted by Mavrick View Post
                              I'll make the breakfast Tacos!
                              Hell yea! Did you start your own breakfast taco stand yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X