Midwest Meet 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Meet 2011

The 2011 Midwest Meet will once again be held at Mount Bohemia, MI (in the Upper Peninsula)

Bohemia's Website: http://mtbohemia.com/

"Mount Bohemia has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest. Bohemia is all-natural, and has no problem without snow guns. The average snowfall in the Keweenaw is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. Bohemia's two new sections; the Outer limits has 100+ acres of inbounds backcountry skiing with 17 new runs even longer and trickier than before."

What weekend works for you?
    Last year the Midwest Meet was held the first weekend in March. The weather was much warmer than average (in the 50s). A lot of snow was lost over the weekend while we were there. This year we'd like to hold it a little earlier and also try to avoid scheduling conflicts with other events.

Lodging
    Last year we stayed in the cabins at the base of the mountain. Each cabin has a bathroom and sleeps four (two bunkbeds). These worked out well and were very affordable.

Lodging costs and details found in 2nd post of this thread.

Lift Tickets

Last year several of us took advantage of the $99 season pass deal which worked out really well. Otherwise you can purchase lift tickets each day for around $50. If you plan to arrive earlier and ride Friday, check into the season pass deal.

Carpools
    From Minneapolis, MN: Courtney I can pick people up from MSP and have room for 3 in my car if we pack on the light side.

From Eastern WI: Andrew (adeehr) Room for a couple people.

From Ohio: DennisEvans, Dyn0miteMat, Jarad

From PA: CrazyBoy-1

If you're planning to drive and are willing to carpool let me know and I'll add your information here.

Feel free to contact Courtney or adeehr for more information.

From Last Year

View Last year's thread

59 photos from last year: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=a9a3a1a4c9

(don't need to have facebook to view)

Schedule Update:
    Hey everyone, I'm not sure what calendar I was looking at when I created the poll - but those dates are actually Sunday/Monday. Here's an updated schedule with our chosen weekend.

Friday January 21, 2010

Arrive / Ride (depending on when you arrive)
    Stay in Cabins

Saturday January 22, 2010
    Ride
    Stay in Cabins

Sunday January 23, 2010
    Ride
    Head home at the end of the day

Who's coming?
    We'd like to get a tentative list going of confirmed and maybes. Please post and let us know if you're maybe coming or definitely coming and we'll add you to the list in the 2nd post of the thread.
    January 2/3
    6.25%
    January 9/10
    15.63%
    January 16/17 (18th=MLK day)
    15.63%
    January 23/24
    21.88%
    January 30/31
    12.50%
    February 13/14 (15th=Presidents day)
    9.38%
    February 20/21
    9.38%
    I'm Not Attending
    9.38%

Ok I'm going to start accepting payments for the Midwest Meets lodging. Cabins are $115/night. I've reserved three, but can cut that down if we don't have enough. I'm going to ask for the amount as if there are 3 per cabin because as of right now we have 6 riders, which would give us 2 cabins of 3 in each. So that's how we'll break it down. Remember this is for both nights and includes the 9% tax and the Paypal fee I am being charged.

86.30 is the total per person including tax and paypal fees. Keep in mind if we have more then 3 per cabin we will have extra cash, if we have less I will need to request a few more dollars once we get to Bohemia. Thanks!

Pay Lodging Below:

Who's coming? And from where?

Confirmed:
    adeehr (Wisconsin)
    Courtney (Minneapolis)
    GOM (Ohio)
    sempai (Minneapolis)
    CrazyBoy-1 (Pennsylvania)
    Nolhay

Maybe:
    fourdown (Colorado)
    Mavrick (Ohio)
    eldiablo (New York)

Lodging Information:
    I'm still waiting to hear back as a for sure from Bohemia, but we should be fine with the cabins. Look to spend roughly $65-$90 on lodging. That would cover both nights. This is all dependent on how many we have show up. The cabins obviously go in groups of 4 so if we have 5, the price is higher, but if we have 8 then the price gets lower. I don't want to take a big hit on this myself, so everyone, including myself, pays the same thing.

Keep in mind if we have extra money put into the lodging fund then I will poney up some grub Friday night on the grill. Did that last year and it worked out nicely.
    Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

That's a great point. January will likely be pretty cold but should have enough nice snow by then. I could definitely go with that.

We have a couple holidays that might make the hills busier, but if you have an extra day off school or work that could help a lot of people's travel plans.

Please vote for the dates that would work best for you, even if you're not certain you can make it. The dates in the poll are Saturdays/Sundays.

Comment

Do the single day deal where it's only $100 for a season pass, show up a day early and parking lot camp with me if you want. I've got a subie with plenty of space if anyone needs a ride, I will also post up my directions in a few days or so. Just kind of swamped with tests this week.

I'm pretty much going up I-90 though straight from Ohio to UP Michigan.
        Revel8 ALPdors
        Gold Revel8 Receptors
        Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
        ____
        Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
        If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

The end of January sounds good to me. Either of those last to weekends in that month would be fine.

At this point, I'll plan to follow the same schedule that Brick and I opted for last time. Get to the mountain Friday morning and ride for three days to get the most out of the season pass.

I'll be coming along the PA turnpike into OH and then north. GOM, if it works out, I may look to meet up with you to carpool from OH up.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

How come Feb 5/6 isn't a choice?
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
              How come Feb 5/6 isn't a choice?
              Jay Jam is generally the first weekend in Feb. Last year we had some scheduling issues with other events so we're trying to have the event on the days when the most people can attend.

Really hope you can make it!

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                Jay Jam is generally the first weekend in Feb. Last year we had some scheduling issues with other events so we're trying to have the event on the days when the most people can attend.

Really hope you can make it!
                Oh, I figured there must be something going on that weekend.

I'm going to try and make it, if I haven't moved back to the West by then.
                Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  Oh, I figured there must be something going on that weekend.

I'm going to try and make it, if I haven't moved back to the West by then.
                  Leaving already?!

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                    Leaving already?!
                    Possibly, I can't handle this depressing weather. I miss all the sunshine out west and especially miss the mountains.
                    Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

I'll go up with GOM, as long as we get this figured out a few weeks ahead of going so i can take vacation that weekend

08 KTP's - FF-Pro's
                      Line Weapons - SnowJam X2
                      SnowJam 90TTs - SnowJam X2
                      Dalbello Aerro 67
                      Volcom Shatter Jacket (Spaids Light)

Comment

Sounds great! After a while longer we'll go with the date with the most votes and plan from there with plenty of time for people to be prepared.

Comment

Although I really enjoyed skiboarding in tshirts for three days, I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like to ride that mountain with more snow. Those cliff drops we were hitting should be a lot of fun.
                          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Definitely looking forward to riding it with powder rather than slush. Should be amazing!

So far it looks like January 23/24 will be our weekend. Feel free to vote even if you're not 100% sure you'll be able to make it. We want to make this doable for as many riders possible.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                              Although I really enjoyed skiboarding in tshirts for three days, I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like to ride that mountain with more snow. Those cliff drops we were hitting should be a lot of fun.
                              Yup they'll be fun to WATCH haha. I want to make sure I can ride all weekend and not die...then again if it's all powder...hmmmm
                              Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                              X