Blading Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Spent the morning at the local skate park... Fun day.

That park looks fun!!!

Comment

Where is that park located? There's a good chance Brandon and I will be moving to the Phoenix area and moving as soon as May 1st.
      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post
        Where is that park located? There's a good chance Brandon and I will be moving to the Phoenix area and moving as soon as May 1st.
        That would be great, I need a skate mentor!

This one is at Pecos Park in Chandler, just south of Phoenix, right where the I 202 and I 10 cross.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

To follow up on this thread, it may seem a little odd that a fifty year old with bad knees is buying aggresive in line skates.

I just retired from tournament martial arts after eight years and need a new sport to participate in. I find it hard to just exercise, like jogging, I have to "do" something to stay motivated. Although I skied a little as a teen, this year was my first real attempt to ski regularily. Because of meeting up with the Junk Show crew, and having kids, I found myself hanging out in the park a few times. I got up the nerve to try a few basic features and really enjoyed it. Next season my wife will be away at school, so it will just be me and the kids skiing, the park may be where I end up a lot of the time. I really would like to be able to get proficient at boxes and rails and jumps next season.

So, for the summer, it seemed like an idea to try to work on some of the basics, like jumping and grinding. I presume the skill set for inline transfers well to skiboards. I also skateboarded and rollerbladed in the late seventies and early eighties, so I have a basic idea of what is required. Plus my youngest is all over getting into the park and learning some tricks. She can already do some basic grinds and jumps on skiboards.

I will gladly accept any advice or help or resources any of you inliners have to help me on my quest. I found a few videos that show some static jumping drills to help with foot position on grinds. I'm doing those whilst I wait for my skates to come in.

Call me crazy, but it's a goal.

Comment

D@mn it! You guys are driving me crazy! I want to move back to Phoenix. The weather here is absolutely miserable, and there's no end in sight. The 10-day forecast for Phoenix is sunshine, sunshine, and more sunshine.
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

To follow up on this thread, it may seem a little odd that a fifty year old with bad knees is buying aggresive in line skates.
              And I thought I didn't act my age.

I've wanted to learn how to do boxes and rails on my boards, too. I thought I was going to give it a try this season, but I never worked up the nerve. I wouldn't be brave enough on skates. Concrete hurts a lot more than snow.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

That would be great, I need a skate mentor!

This one is at Pecos Park in Chandler, just south of Phoenix, right where the I 202 and I 10 cross.
                That'll be me. We'll be moving down May 1 (Brandon and Brittany will. I'll be moving my stuff in throughout May and spending some three-day weekends down there). Brandon and I will be making Snowbowl out home mountain and making a few weekend trips to other places.

I heard the rollerblade scene is rather large down there in comparison to other places.

I just retired from tournament martial arts after eight years and need a new sport to participate in. I find it hard to just exercise, like jogging, I have to "do" something to stay motivated. Although I skied a little as a teen, this year was my first real attempt to ski regularily. Because of meeting up with the Junk Show crew, and having kids, I found myself hanging out in the park a few times. I got up the nerve to try a few basic features and really enjoyed it. Next season my wife will be away at school, so it will just be me and the kids skiing, the park may be where I end up a lot of the time. I really would like to be able to get proficient at boxes and rails and jumps next season.

So, for the summer, it seemed like an idea to try to work on some of the basics, like jumping and grinding. I presume the skill set for inline transfers well to skiboards. I also skateboarded and rollerbladed in the late seventies and early eighties, so I have a basic idea of what is required. Plus my youngest is all over getting into the park and learning some tricks. She can already do some basic grinds and jumps on skiboards.

I will gladly accept any advice or help or resources any of you inliners have to help me on my quest. I found a few videos that show some static jumping drills to help with foot position on grinds. I'm doing those whilst I wait for my skates to come in.

Call me crazy, but it's a goal.
                I will guide and help you, don't worry. I have far more experience on skates than I do on skiboards: 1989-present on skates, 2010-present on skiboards.
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

That'll be me. We'll be moving down May 1 (Brandon and Brittany will. I'll be moving my stuff in throughout May and spending some three-day weekends down there). Brandon and I will be making Snowbowl out home mountain and making a few weekend trips to other places.

I heard the rollerblade scene is rather large down there in comparison to other places.

I will guide and help you, don't worry. I have far more experience on skates than I do on skiboards: 1989-present on skates, 2010-present on skiboards.
                  My grandparents have a place down in AZ. The weather is perfect for blading. There is a place called Reeds Skatepark in Mesa and it is pretty dope. They have much easier and progressive stuff down their for the beginner.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks Dave. Come on in Sempai, the water's great.

As always let us know if you need and help or a place to crash.

With the wife away for the season, we are planning on making Snowbowl our home resort as well. It is about an hour closer and has a better park for the kids. The only issue are the lift lines, it can get busy enough to be a pain on the weekends. I have no clue about the skate scene here, but we sure have the weather for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                      And I thought I didn't act my age.

I've wanted to learn how to do boxes and rails on my boards, too. I thought I was going to give it a try this season, but I never worked up the nerve. I wouldn't be brave enough on skates. Concrete hurts a lot more than snow.
                      I didn't think I could either, but my ten year old decided it looked like fun and went for it. I couldn't just watch. Once I survived the first one, and realized it wasn't so bad, and tried a few more. I really need to get more comfortable going fakie, especially for landings. I may drop it as a bad idea the first time I wipe out, but I'm at least going to give it a go. Not looking forward to concrete either, you just got to learn to slide out on your knee pads.

Comment

Dave, here is a link to a listing of all the skate parks in AZ;

http://skatepark.com/skateparks/Arizona

Looks like the highest rated one is just 25 min from my house; nice

http://skatepark.com/skateparks/Chan...r+Skatepark/10

Comment

We are getting a place in South Ahwatukee. Looks pretty close to that skate park

Comment

Originally posted by enouf24 View Post
                            We are getting a place in South Ahwatukee. Looks pretty close to that skate park
                            That is very close to Pecos, the one in the photo I took, and just 20 min from the big one in Chandler.

By reputation the school district there (Kyrene) is also one of the best in the area, Dave should be happy.

Comment

Holy #*@%, these guys on You Tube make it look so easy; grinding, jumping gaps, ramps. Took my new skates to the park today and tried to get a feel for what I need to work on. Did some gentle ramps, hop 180s, crossovers, went backwards. Coming from a rink background I could only crossover in one direction, but it's a start. I stepped up on a few rails, one foot at a time first, them both together, just static though, no grinding. There's a voice in my head holding me back, it wasn't there thirty years ago. I've got the whole summer, so I'm going to take it slow.

The picture is just for RickyLinc, nice legs huh?

Attached Files

Comment

Sempai, you are right, concrete does hurt more than snow. Took my first huge fall today, not a slide out, but a both feet above your head body slam.

Can I get some help on the Frontside grind. I've done a few simple, low speed grinds, like the Makio and Soul, but when I try the Frontside my feet just whip out from under me. If I widen my stance I just go into the splits. It seems like there is enough friction to control the grinds on the soul, but the H block (?) is like ice. I'm not even trying to grind it yet, just jumping on the rail. Any advice, I can't take too many more slams.

Comment

Working...
                                X