safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety

I am new to skiboarding and am trying the sport as an alternative to the big bulky skis, poles and travel problem as well as the expense of skis. I have read some articles about the safety of skiboarding as opposed to skiing. Some articles are reporting that skiboarding is riskier and not as safe as skiing. Anyone care to rebut the article.

thanks for the imput.

Fountainhead

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dream." Willy Wonka

I thought this quote demonstrates the additued of this site.

It's probably true, as skiboards have non-releasable bindings, which means you have a better chance of breaking your leg or your ankle or something..

It's not in any way far more dangerous though, and its well worth any non life-threatening risk..
    - joel r.
    [Source skiboard apparel]

Comment

Uh...ok yes the non releasable bindings are a bit worse for injuries...but isn't it a life threatening risk every time you throw a backflip? Doesn't matter what bindings you have if you land on your head. If you're that worried about hurting yourself, then you should think twice about skiboarding. It's a fairly risky sport; it has to be, or there's not much point. That's what I think anyways...maybe some people just like going down the hill. Good for them. What are you planning to do with your boards?
      ~How many snowboarders does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 10. 1 to do it, and 9 to say 'I can do that.'~

Comment

Good point J.D. A head injury is a head injury is a head injury.

fountainhead-
        The articles that say skiboarding is "riskier" than skiing have to do with severity of leg injuries due to non releasable bindings. There are releasable alternatives (rev x and miller z). With releasables on skiboards, the leg/knee injury risks are much lower with skiboards than skis. Skiboarding is a lot of fun with less logistical issues than skis (they're much lighter, don't need car racks, travel is easy, no poles, ...), and for hacks like me, I can do a lot more on skiboards than I could on skis.

-cm
        favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

OUCH!

Yeah if your worried about a leg injury i would just suggest releasable bindings. I know I caught an edge 2 years ago and ended up with my leg broke in three places. I was in a cast for like 8 weeks and on crutches for like 2 months after that. But hey, you cant give it up its an awsome addiction. so i was back out there last year and plan to be this year! so give it a try see how you like it!!!
          SKIBOARDING RULES!

Comment

Yeah that's true, there are some releasables now for Skiboards. They sound pretty hi quality too. By the way I shouldve mentioned that the only times I've ever injured myself were on skis, back and knee injuries. Skis can actually be worse for injuries if you set the DIN on the bindings too high, just cause they're longer and heavier; my knee got really screwed up when i fell on it wrong, and I know if I'd been on skiboards I probably wouldn't have been hurt at all. Them's the brakes.
            ~How many snowboarders does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 10. 1 to do it, and 9 to say 'I can do that.'~

Comment

injuries

I think the injuries go along with what type of activity you are doing. I never really got hurt 'just cruising' around the slopes, but I tore up my knee in the park. The likelihood of an injury correlates with the risks you take. Yeah, I probably wouldn't have hurt myself if I hadn't have tried those jumps, but they were so much fun! I'm definitely skiboarding again (2 weeks ) but I'm going to use releasable bindings and a little more common sense until I get my knee back in shape.

Comment

yeah but ur gona hurt urself unless your born to do the sport. even if u are u still mite hurt urself like mike wass. (sorry i hada put that in there) yesterday, i pulled a leg muscle from hitting a jump wrong. but its gona happen
                just practice n hope for the best.

Comment

I shattered my femur (broke it into 4 pieces) on skis with DIN settings that weren't even that high. Bottom line, any sport you undertake has risks associated with it. Learning to fall properly will mitigate those risks, just as stretching before running reduces the risk of pulling a muscle.

Comment

i keep pulling muscles n im learning from my mistakes. such as never go off a jump that goes verticle in less then a foot or youll catch and edge. but im starting to get faster. me n court raced n i was almost all the way down the hill when she finished i had like 80 feet left n that hill was huge. (note: that meant nothing)

Comment

i wasted you.

Comment

dude no one is born to do anything everyone can do anything its just people nowadays are lazy

and as for hurting your self. just sit and think about it for a seconed your straping yourself to a pice of wood. (or 2 pices) and rideing down a hill going anywhere from 10-50 maybe 60 mph. your going to get hurt. the only thing is when and how bad and there is nothing your bindings can do about it. i mean releasable bindings are just to make you feel safer. big deal they come off when you fall you still fell. you get hurt from falling the only way your biding is going to help is if it keeps you from falling it cant.

and realy if there was no chance of geting hurt would you do it most likely no people want to feel like there doing something danngerous. i say just get some balls and go rip it up

Comment

^ You gotta admit, though, there IS a big difference between bruises from hitting the ground and dehabilitaing knee damage from twisting your leg around. Sure, you're right; if you're going down the mountain you will get hurt. But your bindings DO have something to do with how badly...
                          Even so, it shouldn't matter that much, if you're doing something that is inherently dangerous, you live with the consequences. Skiing is worth the pain, if it's not, do something else. I'm sorry if you end up on crutches... life sucks, get a helmet.
                          Also, pack a few non-drowsy pain killers; I take 'em all the time, they help.

Comment

ya man i take about 10 aleve a day i ride everyday so the body takes a pounding but its well worth it

Comment

I have a prescription for vicodin for my knee!

Comment

Working...
                              X