Looking into the sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking into the sport

I saw a girl on a pair of skiboards a couple of years ago and was facinated by them. I ski on 190cm boards and carry my poles in my left hand because I hate that whole pole thing. I only use the poles once I get to the lift line.

I was thinking of getting into the sport of snowboarding because of the lack of poles and the smaller size of the board, but there is just something that doesn't appeal to me as a skiier. I still want to point my feet down hill. I also don't like the idea of standing sideways. I never was any good with skateboards or surfboards.

In drops skiboarding. I am thinking that maybe this is my sport. Small size and no poles like snowboarding but feet oriented and action like skis (if you were taught the skating technique, like I was, opposed to the ankles together parallel style).

I also like the idea that the skiboards look as though they will fit inside my soft top Jeep with no expensive racks needed.

I went to the Sports Chalet website and found Lamar Skiboards (but they call them snowskates, which bothered me). The prices seemed ridiculously low too. After searching the web for an hour I found this site and I think I may have found the only site to take the sport seriously.

My main questions concern getting into the sport from skiing without breaking the bank.

First, is there a way of renting before buying? I live in Southern California and want to test the idea.

Second, I am 5'5" and 100 pounds, female. As a beginner with ski experience, what would be a good board for me to start with?

Third, I need bindings that will work with my existing boots (another reason I didn't like snowboarding - new, expensive boots). I am also fearful of bindings that do not release. As a semi-pro dancer, a broken leg could put me out of commission for a long time. I noticed the sport is starting to have bindings that are like the once I have for my skis.

Thank you for your help,
    Crickett Hoffman
    Los Angeles, CA

PS...you ever think of marketing your sport as the shorter, freer alternative to skis? No poles; no car racks. They even look like they are easier to store and carry.

Hi, and first of all, welcome to the sport. Greco's the man to talk to; probably knows more about the sport than anyone. But from my experience, if you are 5'5" and ride 190's there won't be a skiboard you can't handle. Personally, I would say spend the money on a good pair of skiboards that'll last you a while instead of getting a cheap pair. I would recommend longer boards (99 cm), either the Groove BG Pro's or Canon M7's or Neal Lyons. And if you are very concerned about injury, get either the Miller releasable bindings, or the new releasables SBOL is going to carry (again, greco will have all that information; there's a thread about it on the board if you look for it).

As for rentals, most places will rent Salomon Snowblades. You can use them to get a taste of skiboarding, but I used them a couple of times and they don't compare to quality skiboards. And as for marketing, a lot of places (namely skiboards.com) do market skiboards as an easier, more free alternative to skiing. The reason I love SBOL (and greco ) is that it's really the only place to treat skiboarding as its own, grassroots entity. There's definitely a skiboarding culture different from skiing and snowboarding, however small it may be. There are very few sites out there that perpetuate the culture, but SBOL is definitely one of them.

Comment

Hey Griswald and Qwiksilver,

I had a smile on my face the entire time I read both of your posts.
      Gris, you truly understand what SBOL is all about, thank man!

Qwik, you are a PERFECT candidate for Skiboarding. Just from reading about your interests and your reasons for skiing and not snowboarding i'm 100% sure you'll love Skiboarding... just make sure you get a quality pair. That's all I ask, and I don't care if you buy them from us, just don't get something with foam cores and plastic 8 hole bindings, even though that will probably be your only rental choice.

When you're ready to buy, as Gris suggests, I would recommend a pair of 99cm boards since you're used to 190's and you probably like to go fast. All the 99's we sell are really high quality and it's just a matter of looking at our Skiboard Specification Table and deciding which ones.

For bindings, the new IBS Revolution X is the best choice for releasable skiboard bindings, nothing even comes close. It's really amazing...4 hole, step-in, low weight and uses brakes instead of leashes.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Take Care,

Greco
      Rider / Founder - Skiboardsonline.com

Comment

also here are some other pages for ya to look at

www.SkiboardMagazine.com
        www.InternationalSkiboardFederation.com
        www.GST2004.cjb.net
        www.SkiboardersUnited.cjb.net there is a weekly chat here sundays at 10:00pm EST. always people there that can help ya with anything

www.Tip-2-tip.cjb.net

hope they help ya out a bit

Comment

Now that you've heard what the guys say, I'm going to tell you about my experiences.

I skied a few years ago here in Ohio (really it wasn't skiing). Anyways, I was in ski club at high school, and the chaperones used Line skiboards. I thought it looked like a lot of fun, and seemed so much easier to handle, both on and off the slopes. i rented some Salomons (only choice) and took a few lessons. After I graduated, I realized that if I really wanted to get into skiboarding, I should get my own equipment. I knew there were plenty of other companies out there besides the over-advertising Salomon, so i looked around. I came across SBOL early in my search, and found the site to be really helpful in trying to figure out what size and type would work best for me. Also talked to Greco, as did my mom, which helped a lot. Since I'm fairly short (5'3"), I went with the SnowJam 90s and the Extreme II bindings. They are fairly rigid, so much more so than the snowblades. It really feels like inline skating.

Anyways, I bought a season pass for my local slopes and played around on them quite a bit. I went to Timberline in West Virginia and had a blast. When I got back, I organized a group of snowboarders to go with me on weeknights to the 'Mountain'. They were much more into the terrain park than I was, so I got into that. I didn't really learn from skiboarders, I just tried things out, like rails and jumps. Had a blast at this. Kinda got hurt trying some rotations, and not knowing what I was doing, but it was all my fault. Now i'm definitely going with the releasables, to help with the knee. I've had soooo much fun skiboarding, there is no way I would give it up now.

Comment

Hello Crickett

I notice you also live in Los Angeles. There's actually a small, yet growing group of skiboarders here, regularly going to Mt. High amongst other local mountains. I hope that you find yourself a good pair of Skiboards, I'll second the recommendation of either Canon 99's or BG pro 99's. As a former skier, you'll get into the sport really quickly and have a lot of fun.

I was an ex-snowboarder, and for 5 years I struggled on the slopes to find my place-it was not as fun as it is now on skiboards-let me tell you-the harder I tried to get better the worse I became. I don't know how to explain it but I think my system wasn't made to be strapped into a single board and go down the mountain sideways. But that life is over, now I ride just about everything and everything! I've achieved more in one season of Skiboarding than 6+ years of constant snowboarding!

Have a great time, there's lots of good deals, if you look hard enough (I see some quality boards going for $150.oo with bindings!)

Hope to see you on the slopes soon, they say that Winter might be coming pretty early and pretty snowy this year!
            Last edited by zenderfall; 10-07-2003, 01:07 AM.
            Snow Jam 90TT

Comment

Sweet! This sport needs more female representatives...and just like Zender, I ride up at Mt. High all the time, so whenever u wanna ride with some fellow skiboarders don't hesitate to hit us up! Should be a great season, im soo stoked for it
              Late,
              Marsh

Comment

i was just thinking it was about 3 years ago i was told to check out this site and i'm coming back atleast once a week now to see whats up.
                Props to greco on that, and to all the people coming across here now, you have found skiboarding heaven, any question can be answered here with all the knowledge of the great people on this board.

*Face You Fears And Live Your Dreams*
                REVEL8 Killin it Since 05!!!!.....maybe we're just alil more epic?

Comment

Thanks Johnny, i'm glad you enjoy SBOL.

I posted your note to our comments section...thanks again.

Greco

SBOL | The Comments

Comment

hey i got done reading this. i think its great that ur getting in to skiboarding, and myself, but there are some kind of boards you should stay away from. If you do tricks you might want to get a pair of boards with a full tail or like roussel, he has canons with 5 mms off a ful tail. stay away from foam cores such as salomon boards, and 8 hole bindings. The new line boards have 8 holes because they buy from salomon because i think they dont think skiboardings much of a sport anymore. This is also my first year and i just bought a pair of Snowjam 90s. You would want to talk to greco about the height n skate expierience thing because hes the only one that could tell you. you might want 99 cm boards because your used to the 190s tho. umm yeah ill hopefully see some new skiboarders out at the ridge (my local resort) because they've seen courtney and bre (fromGST ) skiboard around. i hopefully am not the newest skiboarder around this year but yeah hit greco up with the questions about the boards that suite u. umm yeah u can hit me with a few questions on aim: Jordahl61 or MSN: jordahl61@hotmail.com
                    peace
                    J

Comment

....jay, i think this question was answered 7 posts ago, no need for the useless posts.
                      Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Jordahl

it was answered in the first 3 posts n u dont bitch at them about it n if i want to put a useless post i will

Comment

BEEF
                          POW!nded

Comment

well then...

Comment

ok

Comment

Working...
                              X